PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my 400ex???

atvmaster0927
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
ok,
well last week i changed my oil and filled it up to close to the upper line of the oil tank. Then i ran it for a few minutes checked it and the oil was down to the bootom of the dipstick. Then i filled it with more oil to close to the upper line of the dipstick. then went quadin for the day like 4 hours, came home checked my oil and it was down to the lower line of the dipstick(like bearly any on it). **But the thing is, it ran perfect)**Its not leaking or anything. so for now i just added more oil and i havent ridden it. **Where did it all go?

My question is that, is it time for a rebuild or something? Please i need help badly!

Thanks.

nick249420
01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
mine has done that once ..i just added more oil and it was fine .. hasnt done it since

01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
check all the o-rings on the oil cooler lines and stuff. The 2 metal lines that run from the cooler to the motor on the right side of my brothers 400ex were bad and they would leak out oil and he would always have to keep filling it up every ride until we figured out what was wrong.

maxfior
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
You also need to make sure that after an oil change you let the engine idle for at least 5 minutes, don't blip the throttle and the oil will circulate properly. It states this in the owners book. Then shut it off and check the oil. I do EXACTLY what the owners manual and service repair book state and I've never had any issues with oil level. If you do this and then ride extra hard, you might use a little oil, but nothing as much as a full quart (or even half). If you are using that much oil, it might be time for a top end. Good luck.

Max

atvmaster0927
01-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys.

I shouldnt need a new top end...i mean it an 06 and i should have compression it runs perfect.

Im gunna look into that oil cooler rings tomorrow.

maxfior
01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
Thanks guys.

I shouldnt need a new top end...i mean it an 06 and i should have compression it runs perfect.

Im gunna look into that oil cooler rings tomorrow.

Yeah, I was just looking at the bottom of your post and noticed that it's fairly new... Assuming that you don't beat on it too hard, you're motor should still be pretty mint. My 05 motor is still mint, I take care of it though and don't beat it too hard (that's what the junky 3wheelers are for :D ) So, yeah, check out all oil lines, bolts and even the oil filter, maybe something got weird there... Let us know what you find!

Max

atvmaster0927
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
yeah it might be the oil filter i might have put it in wrong(highly unlikely)...but im not sure what i have to look for in the lines and washers and bolts and stuff...do u know what i shouild be lookin for?

OR it might be because when i changed the oil i didnt let it sit for 5 minutes without me givin it some trottle, maybe thats it idk.

Thanks though.

priebo15
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
it should be fine, dont blame me if im wrong though.

may be a dumb question and wouldnt be the cause but surely you changed your filter when you changed the oil?

atvmaster0927
01-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by priebo15
it should be fine, dont blame me if im wrong though.

may be a dumb question and wouldnt be the cause but surely you changed your filter when you changed the oil?

yes i did change it. Was a spring susposed to fall out of it? if yes it never did, it stayed in there and never came out.

Anyway, imma check it later when i come home from school.
Thanks.

maxfior
01-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
yes i did change it. Was a spring susposed to fall out of it? if yes it never did, it stayed in there and never came out.

Anyway, imma check it later when i come home from school.
Thanks.

There is a spring in there, but it should not pop out, mine sort of just stays there. If you're not careful it could fall out. you NEED the spring inside there, so if you lost it, do not run the engine with out it and also make sure the you installed the oil filter correctly, there should be an arrow pointing to the correct direction. If the filter is installed wrong it might not flow the correct amount of oil (which could be your cause of false readings). Double check the filter. With the oil lines, they are pretty easy to trace, just follow them from the motor to the tank, I doubt any thing is loose there. You also might want to check the engine drain and oil tank drain bolts. If they were not installed they could be cross threaded. I'm pretty sure that you would see oil on the floor how ever.... Let us know what you find out, but if I was you, I'd double check that filter.

Max

dustin_j
01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
How long did you let it run after you added oil? When you fill the oil tank, you have to run the machine to let the oil fill the engine. That is why the owner's manual says to let it idle 5 minutes. You should put in about 2 quarts when you're all done.

atvmaster0927
01-08-2008, 01:41 PM
i let it run for like 3 minutes but at start up, i had gave it throttle. if that means anything...im pretty sure i put the oil fitler in right...

03trx400
01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
in the manual it says the correct way to do it is to put 1.5 quarts in..idle it for a little bit, and then add the last 1/2 quart..are you putting 2 full quarts in?

atvmaster0927
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
nope i put 1 1/2 in let it idle then add some more.

dustin_j
01-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Have you checked all around the engine and oil tank for visible leaks (dust will stick to an area with oil on it)? Does you quad smoke while you ride it?

foster0001
01-11-2008, 08:20 PM
my quad has been doin the same thing and i jus recently changed the oil. ive put about 2 quarts in it. but i noticed tonight that it was blowin white smoke out of the pipe but that could also be because it was around 30 or 40 degrees wen i was riding.
could there be more than jus visible leaks and the oil filter that would to this???

priebo15
01-11-2008, 08:49 PM
only time it would smoke becuase of cold would be at start up and at 30-40 degrees it shouldnt do that. have you lost power? keep losing oil?

foster0001
01-11-2008, 09:01 PM
i dont think ive lost any power if any thing im goin faster haha. but i changed oil the other day and have riden a couple times since and both times i would put a little more oil in. so today after it warmed up it was a little low so i put more in it. then went out for about 10 minutes and checked it out. it was fine so i kept ridin and ridin for about 30 minutes. and the level never changed so maybe some of the oil stayed in the transmission or something but so far i havent lost any since. i will have to wait till next time i ride to know for sure