PDA

View Full Version : Help with modifications?

lauvrayracing
01-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I am new to this. I am wanting to know where I should start as far as mods for my boys' two DRX 50s. I bought them with the keihn (sp?) carb and had the clutch mod done by hetricks when they were purchased. I am curious to see what you all think I should get into next to get them a little more competitive. Thanks for all of your help.

Lauvray Racing
Lucas-2008 DRR DRX50 L/C Production
Cole- 2008 DRR DRX50 L/C Limited

racinmason911
01-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Suspension would be the best place to start. The guys on this forum have great connections for that stuff.

tireman43
01-07-2008, 03:13 PM
X2 suspension keeps em safe and is a great start. As far as mods there is a laundry list of things you can do. Porting, intake, exhaust, and so on. Its addictive. I'd find a builder close and see what they can do for ya. Good luck.

Also check the rules where you plan to race to check on the things you can do. EVERY place is different and if you plan to run a National race check there too.

hotquads1
01-07-2008, 04:47 PM
the production bike mods are many but be careful on your 50 limited this is a very strict class. The cvt is the secret to the 50 limited , clutching is key.
marc

JIM GRACE
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Also gearing makes a big change in the overall performance.
depending on the track layout a rear sprocket change can be
the diffrence from first to last. on a technical track a 32 tooth
rear sprocket runs well with good low end for the holeshot and
nice topend for the long runs. longer tracks would require a lower
sprocket for more top end. and porting does make a huge diffrence in power output. hopefully this will help...

We also run a 50 in the limited stock class where suspension mod's are a no no. The production bike will be running with
cobra's so get ready to dig deep with mods and suspension..

brandons dad #55

tireman43
01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
the production bike mods are many but be careful on your 50 limited this is a very strict class. The cvt is the secret to the 50 limited , clutching is key.
marc

Can you give a little of the secret this way. Our 50 seems to run great but we are always looking for that edge. What weight rollers seem to work with what springs?

COLTBNME
01-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey Todd,

Hope all is good with the boys. Haven't seen you all since the riding school. We were hoping to see you all
at some of the D13 tracks this winter. We are going to Cowbranch MX this weekend to race.
I see you are trying to get your Hetrick bikes ready for the boys to race. I would say call Rich and have him advise you on what is the best thing to change on the bikes to get ready for racing.
Hope to hear back from you, so we can get the kids together to ride.

Proud Mom of Colton Kellum#04
Hetrick TRX125

lauvrayracing
01-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your opinions, keep them coming. My boys are new to this. My oldest has taken off pretty quick. The younger is progreesing, just has to get a little brave again since he took a spill over the bars on the whoops. Please keep the advice coming. Thanks again.

COLTBNME. yeah we have been practicing down at slades park since we don't have a place at home to ride. Just trying to get them a little more seat time. Lucas is getting brave and is almost never off the throttle. Cole has his times where he tries to keep up with his brother. Can't make it this weekend though due to its Coles birthday. We will probably make our first race in Feb or Mar. Tell Colton we said hi, he is a great kid. See you all soon.

Lauvray Racing
Lucas DRR DRX50 Limited or maybe Production
Cole DRR DRX50 Limited

bulldogfallon
01-10-2008, 09:53 AM
The 50cc classes can be most limiting in terms of upgrades that are allowed.

The main thing to help with options is determing where you are going to race.

Each local track has it's own set of rules which don't always allow for the same quad to run at both places.

Then the National rules can be completely different.

The Keihin PE20 is a stock option, so it "should' be good at local tracks...I recomend printing the DRR webpage whic states this, so you don't get protested (mini world can be a pain)

On the National level the Keihin is not legal to run..(Last time i checked), so you would need to look for another carb to run.

Most of the options are directly linked to where you run them

If you provide this info we can give you more info..

Suspension is always a great idea, but funny thing is that most tracks will allow internal mods, but no suspension upgrades?

Faster, but not safer? Haven't figured that one out yet?

lauvrayracing
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks bulldog, we are going to be racing MX up here in AMA district 13 (Virginia, northern North Carolina). I believe I am going to have to change carbs because our district states we have to follow the ATVA rules for minis and I don't believe they allow the keihin. I might just keep the boys quads the way they are and just race the production class. I am hesitant about doing this though due to them being novices. Don't want them getting frustrated. What are some suspension options I should look into?

COLTBNME
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Todd,

I think the boys should come out to a race or two, during the winter series. The 50cc limited class is a great place to start for Cole. The production class is also a great place to start for Lucas, but there are Cobras to contend with.
I would get Hetrick to change the suspension and modify the bike for Lucas.
We are going to be racing February 2nd at Elizabeth
City MX. You can bring the boys out to practice and race if you want. Jeff fannin with be there, and his son is running the 50cc
limited on his Hetrick DRX.

Hetrick 2007 TRX125
Coming soon :
"Hetrick 2008 DRX90"

lauvrayracing
01-10-2008, 12:12 PM
colton changing to DRX or is he going to racing the hondas and the drx?

COLTBNME
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
We are running the 90cvt class on the DRX and 90 production on the Honda.
Colton is going to run ATVA nationals this year, but we will still be at the district races in between. Hope to see you all. Any help we can give you guys with the racing, let us know.

Hetrick TRX125
Hetrick DRX90

wvspeedfreak
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
We will be running several district 13 races this year.Looking forward to meeting some of you folks!

lauvrayracing
01-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey WVSPEEDFREAK, what class are you guys going to be racing? We are running the 50 limited and maybe the production.

LauvrayRacing
Lucas- DRR DRX50 Limited/Production
Cole- DRR DRX50 Limited

wvspeedfreak
01-11-2008, 11:57 AM
We will be in 90 production.

COLTBNME
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
HEY WVSPEEDFREAK,

IF YOU GO TO THE D13MX.COM WEBSITE, YOU CAN SEE THE 2008
RACE SCHEDULE. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE GOING TO BE RUNNING THE 90 PRODUCTION CLASS. WE RUN IN THAT CLASS TOO.

THE D13 KIDS ARE AWESOME, AND THE TRACKS ARE GREAT TOO.
LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU ALL.

PROUD MOM OF COLTON KELLUM#04
HETRICK TRX125

wvspeedfreak
01-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Sounds good.We are looking forward to meeting you guys.How is the turnout usually for 70cc quads in D13?

COLTBNME
01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
WE HAVE USUALLY 8-12 70CC QUADS PER RACE.
THE 90CC CLASS USUALLY RUNS BETWEEN 6-10 QUADS
PER RACE.
WE HAVE ONLY RACED DISTRICTS FOR 1 YEAR AND HAVE RACED
AGAINST DISTRICT 7 AND 29. WE HAVE MET SO MANY GREAT PEOPLE.

HETRICK TRX125

lauvrayracing
01-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Glad to hear you are going to be around this season. This will be my boys' first season. The Kellums are great people. Good luck racing against Colton, the kid can fly.

Lauvray Racing
Lucas DRR DRX 50 Limited/Production
Cole DRR DRX 50 Limited

wvspeedfreak
01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
This will pretty much be Austins first year racing as well.He ran a race or 2 in 2006 but that has been it.He is really looking forward to it.

lauvrayracing
01-16-2008, 06:31 AM
I am still looking for suggestions on which way to go next. I am thinking suspension, but don't know what is available/or what is the best route to go with. Also would like to do some more to the motor. But again, don't know what to do first. It is stock except for a Keihin carb and some clutch work. Any help is appreciated.:D

hotquads1
01-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Well after upgrading shocks, if mods are allowed , exhaust is one of the first changes you should condsider, and an alluminim HP cyl kit , this would be the most bang for the buck , then a PVL igniition would be next. this would about double your power output.
marc

COLTBNME
01-16-2008, 08:06 AM
HEY TODD,

HETRICK RACING IS BUILDING COLTON'S DRX90 FOR NATIONALS.
RICH CAN GET THE BOYS BIKES SET UP FOR THE PRODUCTION CLASS AND THE LIMITED.
IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON DOING THE MODIFICATIONS YOURSELF,
HETRICK CAN STILL GET THE PARTS YOU WILL NEED AS WELL AS GUIDE YOU THROUGH THE PROCESS.

IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO LOOK UNDER THE OPEN FORUM TODAY
PLEASE SEE DISTRICT 13 RIDER DOWN THREAD THAT I STARTED ON 01/14/2008.

HETRICK TRX125
HETRICK DRX90

lauvrayracing
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks Hot quads and COLTBNME, appreciate the help. Hey COLTBNME how does the nationals work. I assume you have to qualify first somehow right? That might be fun to try for Lucas.

etondaddy
01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
NO just show up and race………. Well unless there's a LCQ in your class but last year with the ATVA and the WPSA on top of each other there was only 300 or so riders at each. But depending on the class I’m sure there were some LCQ’s. Listen to me we’re done one……… but we’re planning on two this year……….. look out lol

I see you got my PM hope it helped

Mike Kozura

COLTBNME
01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey Todd,

The nationals are 3 day long events. You do not have to qualify to participate. The only time a class would have to LCQ, is if there was more than 20 riders in a given class. If that happens then only the top 20 would run in the main event on Sunday. The youth classes usually do not have a problem with more riders than gates for the main event.
Are you all interested in attending some of the Nationals?
This will be our first year running the Nationals, Colton has only been racing for a year in districts. It is amazing how much he has progressed.

Hetrick TRX125
Hetrick DRX90

lauvrayracing
01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
COLTBNME,
Yes I am interested in attending some nationals. I think it sounds like something that would be fun. Just don't think we can afford to attend all of them. No sponsors and all kind of makes it tight on the wallet you know. Where can I find a schedule to figure out which ones we may be able to make it to. Maybe we could link up and go together or something. Take care

Lauvray Racing
Lucas DRX50
Cole DRX50

QuadJunkies
01-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by lauvrayracing
I am new to this. I am wanting to know where I should start as far as mods for my boys' two DRX 50s. I bought them with the keihn (sp?) carb and had the clutch mod done by hetricks when they were purchased. I am curious to see what you all think I should get into next to get them a little more competitive. Thanks for all of your help.

Lauvray Racing
Lucas-2008 DRR DRX50 L/C Production
Cole- 2008 DRR DRX50 L/C Limited

Your PM box is set to not recieve PMs' . :) You will need to go into your settings and select that option,then i can reply to your message;)

lauvrayracing
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok, it is time to narrow down the choices. I am looking into supension stuff and cannot figure out which stuff to go with. Please give me some more advice. I am looking into 3 possibilities for A-arms (ATV 4-play, DC, and Hetricks), As far as shocks I am leaning toward Elka's but thought of the new Fox shocks. Is it really worth the money to get comp/reb/preload or will preload/comp do just fine? Does anyone know the link for the X2 suspension (tireman?)? Any other suggestions would be great.

Lauvray Racing

Lucas- 2008 DRX50
Cole- 2008 DRX50

etondaddy
01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Ok, it is time to narrow down the choices. I am looking into supension stuff and cannot figure out which stuff to go with. Please give me some more advice. I am looking into 3 possibilities for A-arms (ATV 4-play, DC, and Hetricks), As far as shocks I am leaning toward Elka's but thought of the new Fox shocks. Is it really worth the money to get comp/reb/preload or will preload/comp do just fine? Does anyone know the link for the X2 suspension (tireman?)? Any other suggestions would be great.

Lauvray Racing

Lucas- 2008 DRX50
Cole- 2008 DRX50
Check your PM's

bulldogfallon
01-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I hear the Fox performed really well at the WORCs race

tireman43
01-30-2008, 03:29 PM

Lauvray Racing

Lucas- 2008 DRX50
Cole- 2008 DRX50

I was saying that I agree(x2), the suspension is the place to start. The Hetrick suspension is the DC kit just sold by Hetrick. I can't really say which is better but they are both great choices. I know more use the DC stuff on mini's but ATV4play has been in the big quads for a while. I think the Fox Shox are going to be great. I also have heard they are lighter weight which is a good thing.

mxdad423
01-30-2008, 05:05 PM
I sent you a PM.....I wasn't there but from what I was told by a really reliable source was that all of Hetricks Riders was running DC's front end on all of there machines this past weekend at the WORCS races.....just a little FYI....I have been running Dave's stuff for 5 years now and I wouldn't change to any other.....The way I look at it is Dave's stuff is already proven on the mini's........I also heard that the Fox Shocks performed very well, and plus they are alot lighter, so Basically I think DC's front end with Fox Shocks, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG......:) :) :)

Kevin Smitley

www.bakmotorsports.net

raidernut
01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
We ran the first set of FOX this weekend, and they performed great. Dont get too caught up in the weight thing, as they are not that much lighter than the elkas, but they are lighter. we are very happy with the FOX and are selling our Elka set up, if someone is trying to build their mod on a budget. They are close to new, and are comp, and rebound adjust. Set up for the DC long travel front and rear. Will sell for half of cost of new.

#17TBoneRacing
02-13-2008, 08:50 AM
The Keihin PE20 is a stock option, so it "should' be good at local tracks...I recomend printing the DRR webpage whic states this, so you don't get protested (mini world can be a pain)

I was on the DRR (old web site) which states "

(Kehin carburetors where never used in production and therefore not approved to use on the 50cc ATV in competition by ATVA) "

Is there an update to the later production models? I couldn't find anything on the new DRR site. Are you sure the PE20 is OK and is it reliable and predictable like the sunworld?

lauvrayracing
02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
T-Bone,
I read the same thing as you and even went as far as to give DRR an email and they responded saying the PE20 was and is not a stock option on their quads. So, I had to purchase two of the OKO's for my boys two 2008 DRX50s. Hope this helps.

hotquads1
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
the Kehin was a dealer installed option not a factory option , therefore not legal for stock limited classes
marc

#17TBoneRacing
02-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Lauvray Racing,

How did the OKOs work out for you? I havn't seen that they are consistant or reliable.

jread14
02-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
We ran the first set of FOX this weekend, and they performed great. Dont get too caught up in the weight thing, as they are not that much lighter than the elkas, but they are lighter. we are very happy with the FOX and are selling our Elka set up, if someone is trying to build their mod on a budget. They are close to new, and are comp, and rebound adjust. Set up for the DC long travel front and rear. Will sell for half of cost of new.

pm'd you... JR

lauvrayracing
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
TBone,
We have not had a race on them yet, but after install I took them around the yard a little and they seemed pretty good. After a little tweeking they ran great. I did have them drilled and all before I received them. If you ar going to go with the OKOs give Hetrick Racing a call and they can hook you up. Hope this helps.

#17TBoneRacing
02-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I am not sure if I want to make the jump yet. I am not sure how much I will gain from the 16mm Sun and if it's worth possible reliability issue. I may look into it. Thanks again.