PDA

View Full Version : over heating

420ripper
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I have a 2006 yamaha blaster. i have some intake and exhaust mods with it. I have a twin air filter, fmf sst gold series full exhaust system and a dyno jet kit, im running a factory pilot jet and a 230 main, and i have an after market fuel needle and the clip is on the third space down. But after riding for about 10 maybe 15 minutes it starts over heating. my head pipe is glowing bright red from the exhaust port. I no that this cant be good because my buddy has an 2004 blaster and his doesnt do this. I need to fix this soo i dont melt my piston please help asap.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
A blaster engine in stock form will run hot, its old school design & thats just how it is.

To combat heat issues on this type of engine, things you need to check are
# 1 ignition timming, ( how much advance it is set at )
# 2 compression, ( how high that is )
# 3 carb ( what size bore & jets installed )
If you have a combination of high compression & advanced ignition timming in your mods, only way to combat that to some extent is with a bigger carb & larger jets to supply the engine with more fuel/oil/air mix to keep it cool.

I would say if your pipe is turning red from heat & its still running, you are a lucky dude because that indicates you have high heat flame blowing out the exhaust port which is not very good on any two stroke.
Best be checking all the above items & even then you could already have some amount of engine damage.
Neil

420ripper
01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
ok, thanks but i wasnt sure about the ingnition. were do i check the timing on that. I put an lightend flywheel in it not to long ago. should i check the key in it? i didnt see any way to time it so i just put the new flywheel in and left the factory key but they flywheel came with another key should i use the new one?

C-LEIGH RACING
01-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Could be that new key you put in has sheered.
Sometimes if you dont get the crank nut real tight or up to torque speck it will come loose & then the flywheel will sheer the key off setting the timming.
With how your saying the engine is running thats what it sounds like, but I could be wrong.
Neil

honda450rider33
01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
your main is way to low i think that is a stock main i have a fmf fatty, and a turbine core 2 silencer and i am running a 310 or a 320 main

420ripper
01-12-2008, 03:24 AM
i think i will have to order those jet sizes cause i dont have them in my kit. i only got up to 260 i think. but thanks i will defenitly try that.

honda450rider33
01-12-2008, 02:03 PM
in dennis kirk catolog they have all bigger jet sizes like that i dont know what elevation, temp, etc you are ridding in but i would order from like a 300-340 (in 10 size increments 310,320,etc) when i jetted they did not have those in my jet kit and to buy the jets they are like a dollar or two so it is worth it to have them start bigger and go down(bigger the jet the richer you run, smaller the jet the leaner you run)

pbblaster2
01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
i ran a 260 in my blaster when i had a v force reeds and a pb exhaust and that had a golden brown burn on the plug so yeah u need to run way higher maby even a bigger carb 30mm maby

420ripper
01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
i just went down to our local yamaha/honda dealer and ordered 310 and 320 size main jet is that big enough. i tried putting a 340 and it still doesnt run right. ok, so i also put a dyno jet fuel needle in with the clip on the 3rd clip down i think. Should i try putting the factory needle back in and put my factory fly wheel in two? And if i keep all the parts on and should i buy this 30 mm carb from project blaster does it come with the jetting that i need. i have never bought an after market carb for any of my bikes, so i dont know how i go about doing this.

honda450rider33
01-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by 420ripper
i just went down to our local yamaha/honda dealer and ordered 310 and 320 size main jet is that big enough. i tried putting a 340 and it still doesnt run right. ok, so i also put a dyno jet fuel needle in with the clip on the 3rd clip down i think. Should i try putting the factory needle back in and put my factory fly wheel in two? And if i keep all the parts on and should i buy this 30 mm carb from project blaster does it come with the jetting that i need. i have never bought an after market carb for any of my bikes, so i dont know how i go about doing this.

the 310-320 should be ok. i would keep the dyno jet needle in. with the mods that you have you really do not a bigger carb. when you put the 340 in what did it do. will it idle? how hard is it to start? try the 320 and work down if the 310 does not work try moving the clip to the 2nd position down. if none of that works i would pull the flywheel and check the key i would leave the stock one in there. where did you buy the flywheel from?

420ripper
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
ok, thanks i will try this. No my bike doesnt idle. i put the motion pro T.O.R.S kit eliminator on and it hasnt idled since. I cant figure out how to ajust it. I dont think i was very clear on what my bike does in the first thread. ok. So when i warm it up i have to keep pushing the throttle in and out. so i would push the thumb throttle in and let go and push it in again. When im trying to cruz at a constent speed in a low gear it trys to cut out. it coughs and hikups and back fires. Now a new problem is coming along. When i ride it every now and then my exhaust gives out like a hollow sound and feels like my throttle is sticking but it isnt. So i start going faster and it clears it up right away but it doesnt go away it comes back after a little while of riding. I asked my buddy and he said that i might have an air leak some where. Could this be messing everything up?

honda450rider33
01-16-2008, 12:13 PM
that sounds like it is running way rich but you are running a 230 main which is way lean i would check the intake manifold for any leaks/tears, make sure the bolts are on tight check for a blown base gasket(gasket where the cylinder and case meet) if it was blown there would be alot of oil build up or drips around the bottom of the cylinder to check it is to feel around the the bottom of the cylinder while you kick on it and if air blows out there is your problem, the reason it will not idle is because something is messed up with the tors removal that is where your idle is at (the stock idle adjustment is on top of the the tors it is the big round screw) i believe with that kit you are supposed to drill and tap a new hole for the idle screw i am not 100% sure because i have never put one in. for the not idleing i would adress that. are you running premix or oil injection? also check your transmission oil level because i have heard of the oil seal on the crank blowing out and sucking in trans fluid and it will run like crap/or not run at all

420ripper
01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I know i have an exhaust leak right out of the cylinder were i put the new exhaust flange with the pipe. I tried putting some extreme temp. cylicone around it but that didnt work. I checked my intake boot and my reeds and everything is fine. My reeds are sealing up like they are supposed to. I cleaned the edges of them out and cleaned the reed itself and they are fine. i guess i will just keep trying to mess with it. I was thinking about ordering some V-force 3 reeds for it too. After putting them in would i have to re-jet to?

pbblaster2
01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
maby not if you already jetted it up but not to mess up your thread or anything but does any one know if you ahve to run the stuffer in the v force reeds

honda450rider33
01-16-2008, 08:46 PM
you may not have to rejet when you do it try to run the 320 main if it is to rich drop down to the 310 it is better to run rich than lean. sorry i dont know about the v-force. did you check the base gasket?

420ripper
01-18-2008, 11:16 AM
yeah, i ran the engine the other night and put water around my cylinder and didnt see any bubbles anywere. I need to order a new exhaust seal and my jets should be here today or tomorrow

honda450rider33
01-18-2008, 11:46 AM
i dont know if i would worry about the exaust gaket on my fmf exaust there was no bracket on the exaust manifold to put the spring so my exaust is not totally sealed and i have not had any problem with it, i have a stupid question did you check your plug? make sure it is not fouled and make sure it is tight?

420ripper
01-19-2008, 03:06 AM
yeah its a bran new plug. Im just gonna call FMF tomorrow and ask them what jet size to use.

honda450rider33
01-19-2008, 09:00 AM
the problem is fmf is not going to be able to really tell you what size jet to use because all they can really give you is a place to start because every case is different, machine, temp, altitude,etc. did you put the jets in? when was the last time you did a top end? try doing a compression test. when was the last time you cleaned your carb

Modifly
01-22-2008, 03:01 PM
bl**dy ell, sounds like your motors got some issues!

first off your running it WAYYY too rich with a 320/310!

if you want to run it that high then jesus, give it some air!

as honda450rider33 said.. when was the last time you cleaned your carb out, and thinking of that your filter and boot?

check your reeds arnt snapped and all your seals are well sealed!

honda450rider33
01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
i am running a 310 i think in my blaster and the plug is golden brown.

Modifly
01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by honda450rider33
i am running a 310 i think in my blaster and the plug is golden brown.

with what mods may i ask?

yeh, im running a 310 with a PB ali airbox and a special custom slanted intake.

so for a guy with a stock boot and a twin airfilter.. i guarantee you it is far too high.

Ive just also re read his post, you runnin pre-mix or have yo still got the oil sump intact? might b a problem with it, they tend to f*k up.

honda450rider33
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Modifly
with what mods may i ask?

yeh, im running a 310 with a PB ali airbox and a special custom slanted intake.

so for a guy with a stock boot and a twin airfilter.. i guarantee you it is far too high.

Ive just also re read his post, you runnin pre-mix or have yo still got the oil sump intact? might b a problem with it, they tend to f*k up.

yeah i suppose with his mods. i am running a k&n filter with no lid reed spacer, high compression piston, and a full exaust. another idea to find out wether or not it is jetting is pull the lid off if it runs better it is a jetting issue if not it is something else.

420ripper
01-26-2008, 03:20 AM
yeah i still have the oil injection, i ordered a new pilot jet size i was running stock at 32.5 and i moved it up to a 40 and put a 310 main jet, i also took my snorkle off my air box. I have my air screw moved to 1.5 turns out. Im cleaning my carb out as i go im still waiting on my pilot jet. Im kind of in the middle of cleaning it and getting it ready for spring cause our winter sucks right now.

beaubs
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
lol
I run mine at 20 pilot and 310 main, the good thing about that, it jumps right into the pipe

420ripper
02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
So i just got my jets and grips in the mail yesturday. I went to the shop and put my carb. back together and the bike started right up and ran great. But i have an idle problem now, i dont think its serious but i was ajusting it and i got it to wear it either idles really high or it doesnt idle at all. I was thinking that somewhere in the ridiculas tores kit it is stuck. what do you guys think? I forgot to mension that i lighted my fly wheel too, could that be the flywheel that is making it idle so high?

honda450rider33
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
in all honesty i dont know. what jets did you end up running? you got very lucky on not destroying you motor

420ripper
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh i know your telling me. i ended up putting a 310 main with a 40 pilot. I havnt been able to ride it yet, we have some really crumby weather so im not 100% sure that it fixed it.