PDA

View Full Version : Quad Sink in pond-> Full of Water and Locked Tranny

JfromChatt
01-07-2008, 09:20 AM
My Honda 300EX got rode into a pond, over-turned completely submerged (except tire) for about 20-30 mins.
Got it out, air box was completly full of water->drained it.
Pulled the spark plug-> water of course.
Gas-> Looked good.

Got it home:
Drained Oil-> Didn't see any water, if any at all
Drained Carb-> Lots of liquids

I've been bumping the engine to push out whatever is left in the cylinder, but everytime more and more keeps coming out-> It looks like oily milk- white/light grayiest oil with little hints of water.

Also transmission is locked? I cant get it to switch into any gears!

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

JfromChatt
01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Just put fresh oil in it, connected the gas tank, cranked it and no go:confused:

It would turn over but never fire. . . then after a few tries it won't turn over any more:(

leasureryan
01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
you need to drain EVERY fluid you can. I would let it sit, most likely, the electrical system has water in it too, which need time to dry out. Funny thing about water is, if there is just 1 tiny crack, it can fit through anywhere. most times draining oil, gas tank and carb does the trick. Don't know about the tranny...

Aceman
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I believe they make a product you put in your engine after submerging it. Try NAPA, etc.

I pull the stator cover, remove the flywheel and blow the stator out with compressed air. Let it dry or aim a heater at it. Then I'd spray some wd40 on it and reassemble everything. I'd completely clean the carb and flush the fuel tank, lines, everything. Put it all back together, change the oil filter and fill it up with oil/fuel. Install a clean and freshly oiled air filter. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Now check for spark. If everything checks out I'd tow the thing around the yard with the plug out to try and get rid of all the water in the cylinder. Might not be a bad idea to dump a capful of oil in the cylinder now before you put the plug back in. Try and start it. If no go, try and pull start it.

Once this thing runs, I'd flush the transmission frequently with new oil. As soon as it starts looking milky it's time to change it. Remember to change the oil filter at the same time.

JfromChatt
01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Charged the battery last night, and it fired up today:D

Lots more muddy water came out the exhaust, then it became white smoke-probably from all the oil I squirted in the cylinder to keep in lubed and not rust.

But it will die if I don't give it throttle. . .?

bwamos
01-08-2008, 01:13 PM
White smoke is probably steam from the water.

You probably still have water in the fuel system, also. Water is heavier than fuel so it will settle to the bottom of your tank then build up in your carb bowl.

You'll need to dump and dry out the fuel tank, also. Dump it out, the pour in some rubbing alcohol and slosh it round. This will soak up the leftover water. Pour that out, then it should evaporate fairly quickly.

I'd change out the oil a few more times also after running it a bit.

What you were experiencing before was hydro lock. Water won't compress nearly as much as air will.

But it will die if I don't give it throttle. . .?
You probably have crud in your pilot circuit. You did have pond water in there. Break out the carb cleaner. ;)

svahle
01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
The plug got wet on my R. It would idle fine but bog out under throttle. Now that you can get it to start, keep changing those fluids AND plug. As bwamos recommended, clean that carb.

You'll probably be fighting water for a bit, just keep working at it. You seem to be on the right track.

RATPACK Z400
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Why did it sit in water 30mins and why didn,t you imeditly get out of water could stopped alot of water getting in ?now you need to change fluids several times and things are going to start to rust now that they,ve had time to soak in wires,connectors,lights,electrical switchs,etc.

JfromChatt
01-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Why did it sit in water 30mins and why didn,t you imeditly get out of water could stopped alot of water getting in ?now you need to change fluids several times and things are going to start to rust now that they,ve had time to soak in wires,connectors,lights,electrical switchs,etc.

Its not like we ate and played cards after it went in. . . its kinda hard pulling out a water soaked 400ish pound machine in a pond with very muddy footing and 1-2' high banks. . .

But on another note, the idle and tranny is fixed and rode it around for a few minutes, gonna ride it a little more then change the oil for the final time:D

bwamos
01-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Good deal

JfromChatt
01-12-2008, 12:07 AM
I think Im going to change the tranny fluid just in case. . .

How do I do that?

AutoRoc
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Water can probably get in the trans from the vent tube that is vented into the airbox....right? I'm sure you're changing it for safe measure, goodluck!

JfromChatt
01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I would like to change the trans fluid but I dont know how?!?!?!

JOEX
01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Does the 300ex have tranny fluid?

300exOH
01-15-2008, 09:54 AM
On the 300ex the engine oil IS the trans fluid...

bwamos
01-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Correct. The 300ex only has a single oil resivour. Engine, tranny, and clutch are all lubricated by the same oil.

JfromChatt
01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Ah! Thanks!!!

Thats why Im still getting water in the oil! So how can I drain the tranny???

THANKS guys!!!!!

300exOH
01-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JfromChatt
Ah! Thanks!!!

Thats why Im still getting water in the oil! So how can I drain the tranny???

THANKS guys!!!!!

You just need to keep changing the oil. I found it helps to disconnect the spark plug and bump the engine over a few times to get the last bit of oil out of the case/trans gears. Just buy some cheap oil and keep changing until you don't get water any more. Don't forget to change the filter also since it may be water logged as well.

JfromChatt
01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks! I've already been through 9quarts of cheap oil.

After every drain I blow compressed air throw 3 oil holes, bump the engine over w/out plug, and tilt the quad in various ways. . .

JOEX
01-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Does the 300ex have seperate tank and case drains like the 400ex?

300exOH
01-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Does the 300ex have seperate tank and case drains like the 400ex?

No tank or oil cooler on the 300...only the drain for the case.

bwamos
01-18-2008, 05:36 AM
As above said.

Just a drain plug on the bottom of the case, and a fill plug/dipstick on the side of the case.

I'd get a couple gallons of the cheapo oil that comes in the gallon jugs.
Remove the tappet cover nearest the back of the engine, on top of the head cover.
Remove the drain plug and put a large oil pan underneath.
Block up the front and rear so that the rear tire can freewheel and the bottom of the transmission case is level.
Put the transmission into 5th gear.
Remove the spark plug wire.
Slowly pour oil into the tappet cover hole (into the cam and rockerarm area.) while you have a friend turning the tires in the forward direction to get oil on the gears etc, as you're running oil through the system. Hand cranking shouldn't hurt anything. The motor isn't completely dry.

I'm sure they also make an additive to absorb water, much like HEET for gasoline.

fmftrx300ex
01-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
On the 300ex the engine oil IS the trans fluid...

I was just gunna say tht ya most four strokes share engine and tranny oil. while 2strokes never do the whole oil mix is the lubething .. so ya

backyardbuilt
01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda uses kerosene to help get the water out of engine after a dunking we did that to my buddies a couple weeks ago along with the oil use half a quart of kerosene 2 to 3 times and you should be good to go.

86 Quad R
01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
the best thing to do is to fill the engine totally full of kerosene until no more can go in and let it sit. that way the kerosene will seek out all the water and force it to the lower end of the engine. being that the kerosene is thinner, when you drain it, it will flood all water out promptly.