PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan and electrical question

toxicd
01-07-2008, 06:45 AM
i was wondering if anyone knows if they 450r fan has a dc or ac motor?? i am curious cause i noticed on the micro-fisch that there is a rectifier which means there has to be ac somewhere in the system, maybe for the headlights??

anyways i am putting in an xr650r motor into the 450r and i was hoping to just run the fan with a toggle switch if it is a dc motor. also does anyone know the amperage rating or the wattage on the fan motor?? im pretty sure i will have to add some windings to the lighting coil if i want to run the fan and the headlights but thats no big deal.

smithn1683
01-07-2008, 07:59 AM
The power generated from the stator is AC(kind of) all the systems there after should be DC. The AC power that comes out of our walls is made from generatros running at 3600 RPM's which is where we get our 60 Cycle's from. Since the bike is never at a consistant RPM it is hard to generate any useable form of AC power from it. Im not %100 sure what hte rectifier is used for, if its just on the ER modles I would say it is used in the charging system for the battery, or it is used to further "clean up" the power generated by the stator.

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 08:11 AM
This is all over my head, except for one part.... why are you putting that motor in place of a 450R motor? Just curious? Seems like an interesting project. You should get some pics up so we can follow your progress.:cool:

toxicd
01-07-2008, 08:20 AM
because i want a stock looking bike that will totaly smoke anything out there, the motor will be 700cc and making over 60rwhp

smithn1683
01-07-2008, 08:48 AM
well it wont look stock with a motor other then a TRX450 motor in it. You can make over 60HP with a 450r motor.

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by smithn1683
well it wont look stock with a motor other then a TRX450 motor in it. You can make over 60HP with a 450r motor.

Might I add you can make over 60hp with a stock bore stock stroke 450R. Plus that XR650 motor weighs in at 88lbs. It's going to throw the balance off. I still think it's a sweet project, and would like to see pictures.

toxicd
01-07-2008, 09:13 AM
well over 60 is a very conservative estimate, i know guys who have made over 80 but i am not gonna shoot off at the mouth till i know for sure what the numbers are and having people start flaming. also the 450 motor doesnt make nowhere near the torque nor will have the reliability that the 650 will once you have modded the 450 to make 60hp. xr motors go for tens of thousands of miles before having to be rebuilt, hell i know a guy who went 27000 miles before even adjusting his valves!!!

dont get me wrong, i will be a red rider till the day i die and think the 450r is one of the best quads ever built besides the 250r of course, but the xr motor has been proven time and time again with the last what, 10 baja 1000 trophies or something like that?? also i just like projects and its boring to me to have something everyone else and their grandmother has :) i mean lets face it every tom dick and harry makes a 450 fourstroke atv, hell there are some companies making them that i have never heard of before!!! the only cool thing to hit the atv market in the past few years is the ktm525 and maybe the 700xx if it looks better in person and performs well.

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by toxicd
well over 60 is a very conservative estimate, i know guys who have made over 80 but i am not gonna shoot off at the mouth till i know for sure what the numbers are and having people start flaming. also the 450 motor doesnt make nowhere near the torque nor will have the reliability that the 650 will once you have modded the 450 to make 60hp. xr motors go for tens of thousands of miles before having to be rebuilt, hell i know a guy who went 27000 miles before even adjusting his valves!!!

dont get me wrong, i will be a red rider till the day i die and think the 450r is one of the best quads ever built besides the 250r of course, but the xr motor has been proven time and time again with the last what, 10 baja 1000 trophies or something like that?? also i just like projects and its boring to me to have something everyone else and their grandmother has :) i mean lets face it every tom dick and harry makes a 450 fourstroke atv, hell there are some companies making them that i have never heard of before!!! the only cool thing to hit the atv market in the past few years is the ktm525 and maybe the 700xx if it looks better in person and performs well.

Have you tried fitting the motor in the frame yet? How does it fit? Get some pics when you can, I think this could be pretty sweet. Are you doing this for fun or will you be racing it? Also you can build a fairly reliable stock bore stock stroke to get 60hp. If you stroke it and bore it you can get more than that. Not questioning your decision, just wonder what brought you to that decision. I think it would be sweet. Are you going to use the factory 450R cooling setup, or switching radiators and everything? What carb will you be using?

toxicd
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
have not tried fitting it yet, i just found an 05 roller for $1200 so i am waiting for that to get here which could be a couple of weeks. i will post pics as i go. if theres no way it can fit in the factory frame i have already spoken with dave at prp and he will build me a custom one. also from the little searching i have done i havnt seen a stroker kit for it but im sure they are out there. yes i will be using the factory radiator at first with an added oil tank, probably off a 400ex with oil cooler. the carb will be an edelbrock bored out to 42mm to start with and will go from there. i doubt i will be racing it, actually i havnt raced a quad in almost 10 years, but you never know.

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Cool, sounds good. Where are you from, I'm guessing north east if you're talking to Dave from PRP. You should be able to fit the motor in, might be a little tall in the frame though.

pro-rider46
01-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by toxicd
the carb will be an edelbrock bored out to 42mm to start with and will go from there.

im not sayin that there is anything wrong with this, but i think a fcr taper bored 43mm carb from drg would be a good choice, im sure that could pump lots of fuel into that 650, and there is pretty much nothing better than that carb.

toxicd
01-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I am in Texas but just from talking with Dave the past few days he has been by far the most helpful out of the other frame builders out there.

Thanks for the tip on the carb I will definitely look into it. I am not totally up to date on the 4 stroke parts these days.

I am a huge fan of the 2 smokers and that's usually what I work on but figured I would try to to something more up to date. I have worked on my friends raptors and utility bikes but the last 4 stroke I actually owned was a 200x and an 87 250x!

toxicd
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Pro-Rider, could you please email me a link to Drg since for some reason they don't let you post websites in this forum. My email is toxicpuker@aol.com. Thanks man.

TRX450RACER174
01-07-2008, 08:50 PM
This XR650 motor isn't in a TRX frame but never the less you get the point this Quad is sick.
http://sandsports.off-road.com/dunes/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=353848

toxicd
01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow, sorry Picasso but that is a real work of art. I thought about doing it with R parts since I have so many extra parts but I already have a very fast 330r and actually Went to buy an 08 450r last week but they didn't have the black one which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Like I said I am sick of hearing about my r being called a dinosaur when I go to the dunes so I am really gonna enjoy shutting up all the Yamaha guys who think their raptors are the greatist thing ever made!

TRX450RACER174
01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
There was a whole thread on the build of that bike from start to finish but i can't remember what site it was on, anyways good luck with yours and get some pics up of your build.