PDA

View Full Version : rust?!

F9mechanic
01-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Heres one for you. I ride my '06 250ex in the mud every once and a while, but i clean it asap. In the back of the frame where the two angles form, just forward of the grab bar. Their is a slight gap with surface rust forming on the inside. Any ideas on how to stop this from turning into a bigger corrosion issue. I plan on welding the hole shut but thats not going to stop the corrosion that has already formed.

tedwilley
01-08-2008, 06:17 PM
On my Landcruiser back in the day, we used a product called something like 'Rust Killer' or something like that. It's a special paint that actually penetrates the rust through to the metal and seals it in that spot permanently. You then sand if necessary and paint. It turns black after it works so you know where it was used.
If it's a nook or cranny that just doesn't easily wash out, then clean it thoroughly and fill it with bondo and paint it.

JBacon
01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
maybe your washing it too much?

bigconig
01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by tedwilley
On my Landcruiser back in the day, we used a product called something like 'Rust Killer' or something like that. It's a special paint that actually penetrates the rust through to the metal and seals it in that spot permanently. You then sand if necessary and paint. It turns black after it works so you know where it was used.
If it's a nook or cranny that just doesn't easily wash out, then clean it thoroughly and fill it with bondo and paint it.

Sounds like EXTEND (http://www.acehardware.com/sm-loctite-extend-rust-treatment-12-pack-loctite-extend-rust-treatment--pi-1274208.html) I've used it on my 250 (as well as cars back in the day. It works pretty good. Certainly the easiest method. (the link is really expensive because it's for a 12 pack. Most auto parts stores carry it for under $10/bottle)

F9mechanic
01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok here is what i Did with the rust. the opening where the rust was forming was way to small to get much of anything in their. I ended up taking a piece of coarse sand paper, and got rid of as much of the rust as i could. I got some paint from my dealer and painted the spot, then I got some clear RTV from work and filled the hole. I then waited for the RTV to stiffen up and used the remaining gray paint, and painted the RTV. You can't even tell their was anything their.