PDA

View Full Version : counterbalancer?

number5
01-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I see there is a pin that is in the side of the bearing. Does this have anything to do with the gear coming off so I can replace the bearing?

Jason Hall
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
The pin you are talking about turns the water pump shaft when you Install the side cover. The gear Is pressed on, and the pin has nothing to do with holding It on. Just set It up on a press and press on the center of the shaft with a socket, or a solid piece of steel & It will come right off. There Is no keyway to line the gear back up, so mark The shaft and the gear with a small grinder. A punch will just bounce right off, because the gear & shaft are very hard.

number5
01-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Ok thanks. stripping paint with wire brush and brake cleaner.

number5
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
nice

number5
01-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Got the bearings out and replaced on the left case. Now Im looking at the tranny and hope I dont screw it up.

Jason Hall
01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
That clutch basket Is grooved up bad. Might want to file It, or replace It. That will make your clutch do funny things, and can make neutral hard to find.

When you put It back together, remember to keep the trans In the right side of the engine. The center shift fork Is sometimes a pain to get back In. If you rotate the shift drum to the correct spot It will let the fork In easier. Good luck with It.

Jason Hall
01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
That clutch basket Is grooved up bad. Might want to file It, or replace It. That will make your clutch do funny things, and can make neutral hard to find.

When you put It back together, remember to keep the trans In the right side of the engine. The center shift fork Is sometimes a pain to get back In. If you rotate the shift drum to the correct spot It will let the fork In easier. Good luck with It.

number5
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I think that happened when the motor locked up. That and I loose my ability to pull the clutch lever after the first hour of a harescramble.

86 Quad R
01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
nahhhh those grooves more than likely developed over time. dont bother to file them off. you'll be right back in there in no time.

Aceman
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree, those grooves look too far gone to me. There's another company that makes billet clutch baskets, I think they're called PE, and they're supposedly cheaper than Hinson. How they compare, I couldn't tell you though.

86 Quad R
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
actually they are a fantastic basket for the price. i've been running one in my engine for 4 years now with it just now starting to show shiney one the anodized coating. Motosport (http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=28943&nav=&sMMY=) sells them with free shipping. :cool: