PDA

View Full Version : How long is the rear shock?

dirtbike&quad
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
? eye to eye

Caseys 300ex
01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I think its 14 1/4 inches.

dirtbike&quad
01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
can anyone confirm this??

markvette
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
works web site says a stock 300ex rear shock is 13.38 long eye to eye.

Mark

Dirtblast
01-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I found this when I was searching for the right shock lengths to run front and rear:

To start, make sure the smallest possible tires you will ever use are installed at the lowest PSI percievably run at are installed front and rear.

Find a VERY FLAT (nongraded)concrete floor to work on and the area is well lit.

Remove all shocks and lower the machine to the floor. Place a NEW, FLAT 2x4 under the frame where the swingarm bolt is and another NEW, FLAT 2x4 under the frame 2-3" in front of the forward motor mount. Make sure there is no skid plate of any kind or material mounted. Stay with me.

Measure the center to center in millimeters and inches. YES, EVERY MILLIMETER OR FRACTION MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. Do not deviate from accurate measurments. Stay with me.

Place the machine on a tall enough stand as to raise the wheels of the ground with shocks removed. Stay with me.

Slowly raise the swingarm while someone else slowly rotates the axle. When the chain stops binding on NEW chain buffers, guides, rollers, etc., that is your extended measurment for the rear. Measure center to center and stay accurate. You still with me?

Slowly raise each a-arm while someone else slowly rotates the steering lock to lock. When the ball joints AND tie rods stop binding measure center to center. That will be your extended length for the front. Say with me, almost done.

I know your thinking that a 2x4 is too thick and you will lose positive travel but consder this, a flat new 2x4 is only 1.5" thick.

Next, every ATV needs a minimum of one inch clearence when the suspension fully compresses metal to metal. Why the extra.5" of clearance?

Every ATV's frame and swingarm with the average forces typically applied will flex upwards of 2" thru the points of contact all the way out to the wheels. That extra .5" will help make sure that your pegs and frame will not hit the ground before the shocks bottom. That is why alot of hybrids smash airboxes and radiator shrouds got smashed.

Most shock manufactureres apply this method. Hope this helps.