PDA

View Full Version : Rath nerfs, Foot brake and gusseted frame

riding4fun
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Here's the dilemma. I have Rath nerfs. I had the frame gusseted and also installing the rear foot brake. Now I see the heel guard will need some fab work.

The other problem is where the heel guard brace mounts to the frame, now there is a gusset there. So it wont fit now. Is there another heel guard that can be used. Anybody else have this problem.

Is there any problems with the XFR bolt ons with the foot brake and gusseted frame?

Thanks,
Darrell

neveready
01-06-2008, 01:01 PM
the heel guards on the XFR dont mount to the frame, the only mounts are to the stock rear footboard support and the crossover in the front with two u-bolts for mounts. Very easy install. Their is no interference with any gusseting and their are footbrakes that work perfect with them.

dericsdad
01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Is the frame already powdercoated ? Do the Rath nerf's use u-bolts for the heel guard supports like the universal XFR's? If so, you may want to weld tabs onto the frame tubes to attach to the heel guards instead of using the u-bolts. Otherwise you could drill holes through your gussets for the u-bolts to go through. If i was running the DRX bolt-on nerfs, i would add an extra brace for the heel guards, i have seen the stock footboard supports break off and the nerf bar came off causing the poor kid to crash!

riding4fun
01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
The frame is powder coated already. The raths don't use U bolts. There is a bracket that mounts to the frame in a certain place. The exact same place as where the gusset is.

etondaddy
01-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Darrell can you post a pic ??

I'll let you know about the motor.

Mike Kozura

hotquads1
01-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Darrell, here is a pic of the new XFR nerfs and the foot brake , works great and no support needed for the heel guard.
marc

Andyman17dad
01-07-2008, 06:22 AM
I haven't used the frame support bracket on any of Andy's DRR's. Just the bolt to the fender has been plenty.
As far as the foot brake, you might need to do a little "feild modification" with a grinder.

kenjolly
01-07-2008, 07:30 AM
etondaddy check your pm

forgiven
01-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Depeding on how big zach's feet are you will most likely find that the foot brake is too close to the footpeg with either nerf bar. We have been welding on extensions (see near end of DRR NERF thread) and repowdercoating which works OK. I think a couple of washers at the connection pin will make it more solid yet. I will update more in the next couple days since this is on my priority list.

Zach's feet may be small enough to have it that close <2" from peg.

The XFR's will work out nicely with the gusseted frame depending on frame rail gussets underneath(I can't seem to find your other thread to see the frame). I will check your pics and look. The XFR's come with U-bolts and washers and nuts. I highly recommend replacing them with Nylocks or at very least locking washers but still don't like that. I would also replace the bottom nuts on the peg mounts with Nylocks as well.

I am in a similar situation since I have one with Rath's and one with XFR's. Do you sell the rath's and take a huge loss??? The XFR's are cheaper and maybe someone with a 50 on here would like those and you could move to the XFR's for 20-30 bucks...of course you would have to powder coat them as well to match everything else. In any event there isn't going to be an EASY fix but that would be the EASIEST.

The last thing to consider is that the XFR's on the 50 will stick out quite a bit past the wheels. On the 90 it isn't too bad and keeps the trees off the rear tires so it is OK but on the 50 there will be about 4" of nerf showing from the plane of the rear wheel if that makes sense.

We have a guy here locally that works well with welding/fabbing with aluminum. I will try and get one of the back braces over to him and see what he thinks. Shoot a pic up with where we could mount (depending on your gusset job) to and we can figure out what it is that needs to be made. I am assuming it is just on the left side from my memory but if it affects both. I believe fixing the frame mount for the heel guard is going to be your BEST solution but it would mean more down time etc.

Since they clamp on at the angle of the frame it will make it tricky but it prolly won't be too bad. Another option would be to call Jennifer and see if there is something they could whip up since this is something that would affect a lot of their future sales.

Just thinking about it for a few seconds I would think you could cut your brace at a 45, mount the back brace higher, take an aluminum channel to connect the two, weld up till a little past flush, grind flush and powder coat. Obviously gotta check the new angles it connects in at etc.

riding4fun
01-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have decided to get the XFR bolt ons.

So if anybody wants to buy my freshly powder coated gloss black Rath nerfs just pm me. The only thing missing is the webbing.

they will be in the for sale section later today.