PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Throttle

neveready
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
What thumb throttle assembly are you guys using? We are wanting something with a faster ratio to avoid little hands having to stretch so far. We had to grind out the stock housing to get a 28mm wide open. It has so much travel my sons hands get sore pretty quick. I have known of people using the moose ones, 250r and 400ex. Any suggestions?

Logan #34's Dad
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I just use the stock one but I twist it up a little so his thumb does not have to travel as far. The soreness will go away as they condition the hand with ride time.

tom450r
01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Most people's reason for using a honda throttle is for the easier pull, but the DRR is already as easy if not easier. On my daughters we mix her gas, that also lets you run a single cable (no oil inj. calbe needed) & as Logan's dad said a couple weekends in a row of riding will also cure many problems, but time off will bring it right back. good luck.

neveready
01-06-2008, 01:09 PM
we run every weekend both days and use a single pull cable. It is not that it is hard to push it is the amount of travel. I don't know if any of you have done this but you have to grind out the housing to get a 28mm carb slide to open fully. That is a lot of distance for a short thumb. I just was wondering if the others like I mentioned would be less travel for wide open on these small carbs since they are designed for 44mm slides. Maybe??

etondaddy
01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
We've always ran e-tons but four years ago when his hands were little we used the Moose throttle extender and he loved it. I rigged it so when it was at full throttle the Moose extender was just about flush with the bars. He said when his thumb got tired he would hold it with the palm of his hand. He was used to that because when he ran LEM 50's his throttle was a small break leaver and all he used was his palm.

Mike Kozura