PDA

View Full Version : 650r project

toxicd
01-05-2008, 06:28 PM
i bought another xr650r motor, this one completely modified by rob barnum of barnums pro. the list of modifications is so long i dont have time to type them but lets just say everything that can be done to an xr motor has been done to this one excpet stroked and nitrous. it also has a low compression piston for 87 octane gas which i am going to change out, but right now it should be making close to 80hp on pump gas. mike from hre atv is building the frame instead of prp now because of deadline issues and price. i purchased an 05 trx450r roller and just to see how hard it was gonna be to modify a stock frame i tried fitting the xr650r motor into the factory trx frame and it actually fit pretty good, the rear motor motor mounts matched perfectly and all you would need to do is cut off the front trx motor mount brackets and lower the bottom frame rails, i posted some pics of the motor in the factory frame.

pro-rider46
01-05-2008, 06:58 PM
you should drop in a gixxer 1000. now that would be interesting

toxicd
01-05-2008, 07:00 PM
well i want something that looks stock and wont weigh a ton, the motor only weighs 88lbs which isnt bad for that large of a 4stroke

pro-rider46
01-05-2008, 07:13 PM
haha, im just kidding, sounds like it will be awesome

fatkid400
01-06-2008, 08:26 AM
that will be pretty sweet.make sure you keep us posted on your progress.

TWISTED DINLI
01-06-2008, 02:17 PM
sounds like an awesome build. keep us updated on it!

maddmatt02
01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
look in the last dirtwheels for "stupid bike" probably not much help for your build but its a nice 650r quad...

toxicd
01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Well I found an 05 roller for 1200 which is also a steal and I should have it here in a week or so. Yes I seen the article in dirt wheels thankfully cause the need for an oil tank completely slipped my mind but I am gonna try to mount one from a 400ex. Its gonna be a few weeks for the 700cc 70+ HP motor to get built and another few weeks on the frame but I will post pics and progress when I can.

maddmatt02
01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
hopefully your build doesnt go like mine. I was planning on having it done fairly quickly and currently own probably 98% of the parts and have had it almost 90% done since july or something and its been sitting untouched for a long time. should be getting some spare tiem again soon though. is this just gonna be to play with or are you going to race or anything?

im sure it will be fun as hell to ride either way...

toxicd
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Just for riding at the dunes.

pro-rider46
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
did you get my email?

toxicd
07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
here is a little bit of an update on my project. i posted this in the xr650/400ex thread and just copy and pasted it to here.

mikesutphin, bike looks great, my hre atv trx450r frame for my barnumspro xr680r motor is almost complete and hope to have everything done by christmas. i have spoken with xr650r about his setup but he is using the xl motor and you have the xr motor like what i am using. just wanted to know what kind of problems you ran into during your project?? i believe i have the oil tank covered and also the oil cooler and radiator. i will be using the stock trx450r radiator and oil cooler, but unfortunately the motor is so big i will have to take the cooling fan off which may be a problem. i have the xr650 wiring harness and i am an electrician which helped me modify the harness so instead of just a push button kill switch, i actually mated the factory trx450r start and headlamp switch to utilize my lighting circuit. i also have a big gun exhaust which will be modified slightly to fit, but that shouldnt be too hard. i have the xr650r rear break pedal and master cylinder to clear the kickstarter and the chromoly frame will be mated with a tcs long travel suspension all the way around. if there is anything i missed please let me know. also i plan on running a taper bored fcr carb, but havnt figured out what i am going to do for an airbox yet. i may just run a clamp on filter like xr650 mentioned, but i believe the rear shock is in the way so i am probably gonna try like a custom aluminum airbox and just get different snorkles and try to find one that will work. anyways i put my spare xr650r motor into a factory trx450r frame just to see how close it was and to my suprise it actually fit, was just very tight and the gas tank wouldnt go down, but it could defenitely be made to work, i will see if i can post some pics of the motor in the stock frame.

toxicd
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
well photobucket is down for maintenance right now, but i will post the pics tomorrow. also as i mentioned earlier i have an extra 2001 xr650r motor for sale right now. the head is fully ported and polished and there is nothing wrong with it that i know of except a siezed rod bearing which is common on the 650r's from what i have read on thumpertalk. the motor is mostly broke down, i just slid the cylinder back on to put it in the frame. i have an extra piston, cam, and many ther parts just dont have the rod or lower rod bearing. anyways the motor is on ebay right now if you guys want to check it out or you can always pm or email me, thanks guys.

toxicd
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
well here are the pics, the motor actually fit perfecting into the rear motor mount and the sprocket alignment is very close. like i said earlier all you have to do is drop the lower fram rails and remove the factory front motor mount brakets on the stock frame and that should give you clearance since the head actually fits bewteen the upper frame rails, although it is a very tight fit and i am thinking about widening it about 1/8 of an inch. again the motor you see in the pics is for sale.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/toxicd32/xrmotor-trxframe1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e227/toxicd32/xrmotor-trxframe.jpg

Vade
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
:eek:

the_hulkamaniac
07-11-2008, 12:10 AM
I was thinking of doing this, nice work! Are you going with a kick start extension or will you put electric on it? I'm not ready to buy a new motor yet but if I have to I will pull the motor form my xrr to do this.

How will it clear the gas tank?

KTM bikes have a small fan that might fit around some pipes, that could help with the cooling.

trx310R#24
07-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
look in the last dirtwheels for "stupid bike" probably not much help for your build but its a nice 650r quad...

stupid bike is awesome! if i was racing xc orsomthing i would be somthing like that

toxicd
07-11-2008, 02:36 AM
not going with a kickstart extension or electric start. i am using the brake pedal, master cylinder and resevior from the xr650r instead of the trx. it may not work on a stock frame but i having a custom chromoly frame built and the brake pedal is bent to clear the kickstarter. i was thinking about making a kit that would include everything needed to do the swap, but i dont think there will be a very big market anymore since there are a few big bore quads now available. also the cylinder head was not on the motor when i put it into the frame. i put the motor in the frame then slid the head on from the top through the upper frame rails.

again the gas tank will not fit the way it sits because the motor is resting on the from motor mount bracket and the bars under the motor preventing it from sliding all the way down, but i think it would if that was taken care of. i believe the tank could be heated and shaped a little bit if needed, just please make sure the tank is totally dry before attempting that.

gcart2
07-11-2008, 04:50 AM
there was a guy who did this with the air cooled 650 motor in a 400 frame and he simpily used a lighter/torch and a spoon to re shap the gas tank. just make sure you dont get it too hot.

liledg
07-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by toxicd
not going with a kickstart extension or electric start. i am using the brake pedal, master cylinder and resevior from the xr650r instead of the trx. it may not work on a stock frame but i having a custom chromoly frame built and the brake pedal is bent to clear the kickstarter. i was thinking about making a kit that would include everything needed to do the swap, but i dont think there will be a very big market anymore since there are a few big bore quads now available. also the cylinder head was not on the motor when i put it into the frame. i put the motor in the frame then slid the head on from the top through the upper frame rails.

again the gas tank will not fit the way it sits because the motor is resting on the from motor mount bracket and the bars under the motor preventing it from sliding all the way down, but i think it would if that was taken care of. i believe the tank could be heated and shaped a little bit if needed, just please make sure the tank is totally dry before attempting that. hey i been trying to do this also, talked to lonestar and they dont want to really build a trx base frame 4 a xr650r motor. they want me to buy a banshee drag frame that they have put street bike motors on but thats not a trx any more that would be a banshee with a xr650r motor on it not what i was trying to do. im in L.A. where is your frame guy located?

blasterfreak99
07-11-2008, 11:44 PM
not going with a kickstart extension or electric start. i am using the brake pedal, master cylinder and resevior from the xr650r instead of the trx.

i think the reason he was asking is because the xr motor is a reverse kicker, unlike the 450r which is a forward kicker. you will more than likely run into clearance problems with the rear fenders

the_hulkamaniac
07-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by blasterfreak99
i think the reason he was asking is because the xr motor is a reverse kicker, unlike the 450r which is a forward kicker. you will more than likely run into clearance problems with the rear fenders

That and the frame rail will also cause a problem. yzf and crf hybrids had a similar problem, extensions were made because of this problem. I don't know if they flexed of needed any bracing to prevent flexing. You will still have to kick backwards, the kick can be shortened because of the better leverage you can get standing on a quad. No balancing issues.

If you ran it through a gear to gear drive you could kick forward, this would have to be done externaly. But it could become bulky and exposed to the elements. I have been thinking of this for sometime now, and i;ve been thinking about having an extension built. Or an enclosed gear to gear so I can forward kick. That could be $$$.

I won't be doing mine until winter at the least, so it will be nice to see what you do.

toxicd
07-12-2008, 06:29 PM
i really dont see how you can make it kick forward unless you add an extra gear. also i dont see the point if you design your frame so that the kickstart isnt a problem. if there is clearance issues with the fender i could always shorten the kick start lever itself since dirt bike kickers are always long. since you have a footpeg to stand on you really dont need the long kick like you would on a dirtbike. another option is to make the seat and fenders hinge back so you just lift the fenders out of the way when starting.

blasterfreak99
07-12-2008, 06:56 PM
i would just shorten the kicker lever. i was just pointing out what he meant by that statement

liledg
07-13-2008, 12:43 PM
who r u guys dealing with with the frame work? r you just cuting and welding on the trx450r frame, and then making changes? if so please post some pics. also if your having a frame built PM me the shop building your frame would help me alot.

toxicd
07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
you could make it work with the stock frame, but with the horsepower and torque my motor will be making one day when i decide to do the crank work i really dont know how well the factory frame would handle it so i am having an aftermarket frame built. mike heicher from hre atv specializes in custom frames so thats why i chose him, not to mention he beat the other guys price by a couple thousands dollars. his website is www.hreatv.com but there isnt much info there, best to just call and talk to him if you are interested in something like that.

liledg
07-13-2008, 11:41 PM
you could make it work with the stock frame, but with the horsepower and torque my motor will be making one day when i decide to do the crank work i really dont know how well the factory frame would handle it so i am having an aftermarket frame built. mike heicher from hre atv specializes in custom frames so thats why i chose him, not to mention he beat the other guys price by a couple thousands dollars. his website is www.hreatv.com but there isnt much info there, best to just call and talk to him if you are interested in something like that. thank you very much 4 the info. if i get close i will post pics.

ab420
07-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Nice project, keep up the good work!