View Full Version : Looks like some new machines to play with have arrived

Pappy
01-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I had the privilege today of shooting 4 different atv 's for which we will be reviewing for the site.

I'm pretty whooped after a long day that started at daylight
:p KH426 did the driving duties and jherbie28 held down the passenger seat while I rode in style in the back seat:p

Pappy
01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
A few Can Am machines will be my new riders for the next few months as I see what they are all about. Im already digging both of them and can't wait to see what that Renegade is all about on the trails!

Pappy
01-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Two Polaris models were scheduled today for the photoshoot, but our trailer wasn't big enough to take them with us:chinese: Another member of the "Thrash Squad" will be giving them a home and doing articles on them as well.

Pappy
01-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Kevin and Josh giving one of the Can Am models a once over

Pappy
01-05-2008, 05:03 PM
It wasn't long before our riders were getting the feel for the machines.

Pappy
01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I can;t post to many pics or ruin the articles, but we had a good time:p

Pappy
01-05-2008, 05:16 PM
More will follow...im whooped:p

GE4x4
01-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
More will follow...im whooped:p

Sweet shot. That 525 is a very powerful engine.:D

TWILES
01-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd like to hear something about the Polaris's.

BlaineKaiser450
01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
I'd like to hear something about the Polaris's.

TWILES
01-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450

?????

I really would. I'll be buying a new bike later this year and would like the get a good/non-magazine review of the 525 and 450.

quadwanter
01-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
?????

I really would. I'll be buying a new bike later this year and would like the get a good/non-magazine review of the 525 and 450.

he just likes to quote people and leave it blank...3/4 of his posts are like that :rolleyes:

cool pics, i wanna know your guy's thoughts on the renegade

Pappy
01-05-2008, 07:24 PM
I cant comment much about anything as today was just a basic photoshoot and warm up on the machines. The Can Am units will be riden and evaluated over the next 2 months, and the Polaris units will recieve the same testing. Commenting now would be unfair until an honest thrashing over more then the course of a day can take place. You all bash the magazines for this....so we will just sit back and see what these rides offer the right way:p

I will share a shot with you since the Can Am units will be getting the luxury of me shooting them relentlessly so it can't hurt to throw this out there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2116/2169940341_0cdc79ba3d_o.jpg

poogi
01-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I cant comment much about anything as today was just a basic photoshoot and warm up on the machines. The Can Am units will be riden and evaluated over the next 2 months, and the Polaris units will recieve the same testing. Commenting now would be unfair until an honest thrashing over more then the course of a day can take place. You all bash the magazines for this....so we will just sit back and see what these rides offer the right way:p

I will share a shot with you since the Can Am units will be getting the luxury of me shooting them relentlessly so it can't hurt to throw this out there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2116/2169940341_0cdc79ba3d_o.jpg That is a great photo pappy !!Great Job !

Pappy
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by poogi
That is a great photo pappy !!Great Job !

thanks...you did not ride half bad yourself today:p

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/2170856812_c89a372d63_o.jpg

Kickstarts-suck
01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
thats got to be the best job in the world!:eek:

where do I sign up :D

Pappy
01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Ok..last one and it's for the Polaris camp!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2170199417_861168c256_o.jpg

Quad18star
01-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm gunna borrow an Outlander 800 and a Renegade 800 from work and compare my review to your review.

Keep in mind my pictures won't be half as nice and my review might not be half as detailed , but what the hell , it's an opportunity to snag a couple bikes from work . :devil:

diangelo#67
01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
yo pap you like marks house don't ya!
my bike is in pieces so I wasn't ridin

Pappy
01-06-2008, 03:36 PM
yup..everyone has been telling me to go ride with them at marks, but i never have time:scary: i would have loved to had my rifle over my shoulder instead of one of my nikons yesterday, we could have added a pic of the UTE dragging out a few deer to the gallery, and I would have had more meat for my freezer:devil:

yfzrider45
01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
i'll do some review if u pass a quad my way!!!!:devil:

250Renvy
01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
What's the scoop with these? Where did they come from and how is it that you get to keep them for 2 months?

I know you're a mod but are you also a part owner in the site - did they come from dealerships or the factory?

Pappy
01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
The why's to how I come about receiving rides to review and test are based on my history of telling it like it is and giving an honest opinion on a product. While many folks have used the internet and forums to kill time, I have worked hard to make them work for me , and while riding them is ofcourse fun, it is work none the less and something I do take very seriously. I share my expierences on the forums, write articles about the machines and so on and so on. Being an average joe in a position to help evaluate machines/products seems to work well for all involved.

And I own zero of atvriders.com. Just proof that honesty and integrity will carry you further then many care to admit.

Any information as to who or where the machines come from is confidential, and 2 months was a time frame in general. I may decide to keep these through the summer and even race the Renegade to see how it fairs when pushed a bit beyond average trails.

ITP has also sent a full set of tires and rims to be used for another addition to the reviews...and boy are they sweet!

250Renvy
01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Cool. I think you should convince whoever you got them from to let you keep them through the summer and even race them. (Renegade) I rode one over the summer at a dealership that let us have a 2 min test ride on them and that seemed impressive, but at around 10K I have a hard time plunking that kind of money on something from a 2 min test ride of pavement.

I'm sure your reviews are spot on, but everybody is different. I wish there were more places you could test ride stuff. I was at a honda dealer this summer because my brother wanted a CRF450. He took a spin on a KFX250 and thought the 450 would be more to grow into. The dealer said no test rides and no warranty. No SALE.

That's why I stick to the trusty 250R. In recent years I've bought a number of quads thinking they were o.k. in the test ride, but ended up reselling them in a few months because once I got them out on the trails and terrain, they didn't meet expectations.

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
whats the secret to gettin one of those polaris 525s to drag race. ive tried a few times but nothing. I take it back i got one of them too when i had my spark arrestor removed and the air fuel right and i beat him about 8 out of 10 times but other than that i have called out 2 others and they dont want any part of it. Whats the deal.. i dont want to get too close to them because i dont want them to catch me on fire..lol .......they still having recalls on them catching on fire from the fuel system?

Pappy
01-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree. I wish more people could test ride more but very seldom can you wring one out at a dealership or ride event where they are allowing very tame test rides:p

We get so many new riders to the sport that buy based on looks, brand or because it's what their buddies have that buying a machine that actually works for them is never even mentioned by the salesman unless its talking points on the back of the sales brochure. The spec page will only get you so far, and it sure doesnt tell you that your $8500 UTE sucks in wet conditions or that the belt drive is junk when towing:p

If they want to send a machine here I will gladly ride it, test it and you can bet I will point out the good and bad. If they cant handle that, they might want to find someone willing to write what they want you to hear and not what the typical buyer will expierence. I have to see you all face to face at events and such and would rather have you happy with something I reviewed then hunting me down to tell me what a waste of money it was when you bought the latest and greatest based on something I wrote about:p

I never worry about how long i will have the machines, I run them until the call comes. I have had use of the site's Polaris Razr since May, and they can take their time wanting it back!

Pappy
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by xrdrsux
whats the secret to gettin one of those polaris 525s to drag race. ive tried a few times but nothing. I take it back i got one of them too when i had my spark arrestor removed and the air fuel right and i beat him about 8 out of 10 times but other than that i have called out 2 others and they dont want any part of it. Whats the deal.. i dont want to get too close to them because i dont want them to catch me on fire..lol .......they still having recalls on them catching on fire from the fuel system?

As far as I know, you could be a loon on the atv and maybe folks do not want to be at high speed near you:p We did a ton of WFO runs yesterday, and no one turned down a race so maybe it's in your approach.

Not sure about the fire deal, I have some pictures of a YFZ burnt to the ground, I geuss they all can have problems.

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 05:12 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please tell us your big quad that is beating the 525s so easy with just your spark arrestor out. What are you, 12?:grr:

01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
lol i've only been able to race two 525s... one was an old man and every time i beat him he had an excuse .. like " i wish my son was here he can beat everyone on this " every time i stopped to talk to him.. he had an excuse to tell.... "bad tires i have to get new ones" on some decent looking holeshots...

the other was a guy i met on a forum.. he was actually cool and wasn't full of crap like the other guy.. when i beat him he would say good job.. or you got me... he beat me a few times too... he could ride well to say the least...

the third 525 i've met the guy was a chicken.. he said he would race but i waited all day at the track for him and when i was leaving i saw him asleep in his trailer with the ramp let down... laying on the floor sleeping... woke him up and said let's go... just once! he shook his head and said he wanted to lay down... i aske d if he liked the 525 and he said he didn't care for it any...

so yeah... i know how racing a 525 can be "difficult" lol

diangelo#67
01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
yeah pap any time you would like to ride there let me know and we'll have a good time, as for the deer marks dad can hook ya up with those. either way hunting or riding let me know

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:25 PM
As far as I know, you could be a loon on the atv and maybe folks do not want to be at high speed near you:p We did a ton of WFO runs yesterday, and no one turned down a race so maybe it's in your approach.

Not sure about the fire deal, I have some pictures of a YFZ burnt to the ground, I geuss they all can have problems.
yep you guessed it .. im 12 and i ride my friends dads quad sometimes....

what are you talking about. Im talking real life stuff here. Do you have a 525 and if so do you drag race in 300-330ft dirt. What state are you in. I would love for you to come try me and my 12yr old skills out on the drag strip.

Ohh and pappy the 525s had recalls because they were catching on fire.. Im sure they have them fixed by now though. Better wear a fire suit testing those bad boys out just incase....
but for real they are really fast.. i was impressed when i raced the one i did. They are more competative than any 450 class bike.

Pappy
01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I am pretty certain you are talking to another member, but just in case, my address is 84 chase lane hedgesville wv 25427. yes i have 2 525's (both models) and will not walk away from a drag race. bring yo money:devil:

jesseweaver
01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I am pretty certain you are talking to another member, but just in case, my address is 84 chase lane hedgesville wv 25427. yes i have 2 525's (both models) and will not walk away from a drag race. bring yo money:devil:

LMAO:D

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I am pretty certain you are talking to another member, but just in case, my address is 84 chase lane hedgesville wv 25427. yes i have 2 525's (both models) and will not walk away from a drag race. bring yo money:devil: awe man i meant to quote that other guy that was talking about me being 12 but yea pappy im game... we can do it up. Just bring your powercoating set up and ill bring some money and we can have a good ole time.. you dont want to do that for real..lololol.

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
ill give you 5 lengths this time next year in a 500ft race.

Pappy
01-06-2008, 06:47 PM
you dont want to do that for real..lololol.

I never joke about taking someones money

diangelo#67
01-06-2008, 06:47 PM
awe man i meant to quote that other guy that was talking about me being 12 but yea pappy im game... we can do it up. Just bring your powercoating set up and ill bring some money and we can have a good ole time.. you dont want to do that for real..lololol.
you would lose dont call him out like dat lil man:scary: :muscle: :devious:

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
yep you guessed it .. im 12 and i ride my friends dads quad sometimes....

what are you talking about. Im talking real life stuff here. Do you have a 525 and if so do you drag race in 300-330ft dirt. What state are you in. I would love for you to come try me and my 12yr old skills out on the drag strip.

Ohh and pappy the 525s had recalls because they were catching on fire.. Im sure they have them fixed by now though. Better wear a fire suit testing those bad boys out just incase....
but for real they are really fast.. i was impressed when i raced the one i did. They are more competative than any 450 class bike.

I guess you ment me, and yes I do have a 525s. I live in NH if that means anything and race XC for 6 years. So I have no problem with any race. Meet you at a GNCC or AGP. As far as fires for the 525, none reported it was just a safty measure as it could happen and that was the supplier's issue and a year ago.

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:50 PM
i guess you think i have a kazuma 80 huh

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:50 PM
whered u get that pic of me from pappy..lol

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
yea i dont do the gncc thing and all that.. no mx ing for me.. i just drag race on occasion and ride some trails and like to show off my Kazuma 80.lol

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
i guess you think i have a kazuma 80 huh

I guess you think no one is as talented as you.

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
yea i dont do the gncc thing and all that.. no mx ing for me.. i just drag race on occasion and ride some trails and like to show off my Kazuma 80.lol

Please, tell us what you you got for the drag strip and a nice pic of it.:macho

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
ask pappy what kind i have.. im sure he knows....:D

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 06:59 PM
pappy is it ok to post a link to where i ride.. not advertising or anything just a link to the place that i ride.?????

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
i would love to make it out to the dunes one day.. i would like to go this sept but im getting married in oct and just dont want to fork out the extra money on that right now.

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
What so hard to tells us what you have? I'm not asking pappy.

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
the kazuma 80 but i have a stg 2 cam, 14:1 piston, 8 mil , +4 swinger, elka fronts, all kinds of stuff and a chevy luv to put it all in. :blah:

firefighterjosh
01-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I want to ride the Ren:(

Pappy
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
pappy is it ok to post a link to where i ride.. not advertising or anything just a link to the place that i ride.?????

a riding area is not advertising unless you plaster some company logo all over it.

as far as what you ride, it really doesnt matter, I will have something in the trailer to smoke it...but it sounds like if you spend some money the future wife might crack that whip so unfortunatley we all are doomed to listening to hype instead of seeing some racing....oh wait, we might get to see WHERE you ride:eek2: :D

so polaris hounds...whats the deal with these things cutting off after a WOT run ? we did not get much of a chance to see if what the deal was, but after full throttle runs and a throttle chop they would die. thankfully it was at the end of the day so we did not rip them apart, but it would be nice to know if this is a common issue?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/2173216171_ae089600ec_o.jpg

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
One thing to check is the throttle free play. If it's to loose it will trigger the ETC which cuts the engine. This usally happens after break in as the cable stretches. Also, the KTM engines do come very lean from the factory and many put the JDjet kit in. I believe many on the irs go from the 148 to a 160 and makes a huge difference. The 525s has a 138 and can go to a 150.

Pappy
01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
thanks, i will pass that info on. i may get to play on the 525's but from what i saw yesterday they arent terrible, but the IRS would deffinatley take some getting used to.

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
thanks, i will pass that info on. i may get to play on the 525's but from what i saw yesterday they arent terrible, but the IRS would deffinatley take some getting used to.

You are correct. I had the IRS 500 Outlaw and it's a different way of sport riding. So it will take a bit to get used to. But once you learn the manners, it's a very fun quad that's easy on the body in the ruff stuff.:D

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 07:28 PM
naw... she is cool with the modding.. she bought a new jacket today and was a couple of hundred so i have some play room once again she said..

hold on ill get the advertisement for the place i ride.

Pappy
01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
You are correct. I had the IRS 500 Outlaw and it's a different way of sport riding. So it will take a bit to get used to. But once you learn the manners, it's a very fun quad that's easy on the body in the ruff stuff.:D

i watched the IRS work like crazy as the riders worked a slick , rutted uphill. the IRS could pull up on the standard 525 at will. traction was everywhere as compared to the straight axle. in the fields, wide open runs at flat corners is where we saw the draw back on the IRS.

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j198/uthnkunome27/dtownlogo.jpg

Pappy
01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
once again she said..

all that speed and whipped to boot

xrdrsux
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
she said.. was refering to her telling me about the jacket.. play room for me to mod is me covering my but cause of the jacket she bought.. i got this.. im in total control .. lmao

Colby@C&DRacing
01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I never joke about taking someones money

isn't he a little young to go to the nudy bar :chinese:

Pappy
01-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
isn't he a little young to go to the nudy bar :chinese:

he is my designated driver:devil:

poogi
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
he is my designated driver:devil:
Count me in !!!:D :D

How you liking the Renegade ??

Pappy
01-07-2008, 06:04 PM
haha...honestly i havent rode it 10 feet yet. ive been so swamped working that riding has to take a back seat (damn this 60 degree perfect riding weather!)

Cody (my oldest son) chased my youngest kid Ryan around for 30 minutes or so tonight on it, and just as he had her all warmed up, ryans 90 threw a chain so instead of getting atleast a few laps in, I turned wrenches so they could keep riding:p

Trust me, i will ride the wheels off that quad, it just looks so fun to ride:D

poogi
01-07-2008, 06:09 PM
I think you should come up this way soon and get to experience Whiteford !!that is a photographers paradise !!tons of riding also !!and If you really want to put the renegade to the test that would be the place!!:)

Pappy
01-07-2008, 06:11 PM
i would love it!

poogi
01-07-2008, 07:30 PM
sounds good I PM ed you my ## give me a ring !!

04hemiboy
01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
After you test the basic Gade, you should compare it to the X model. I've ran them both and there is a considerable difference in the handling and ride. I'm in Canada and the X is $14000.00 plus taxes :eek2: but it just such a hoot to ride.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/100_3796.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/100_3771.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/100_3795.jpg

kawiefan
01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
14,000 holy crap. you must have money comming out the wazoo.

do those front shocks have the reboud and comp. adjustments

poogi
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I think they still use Rugles or clams or something like that !!:D

04hemiboy
01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by poogi
I think they still use Rugles or clams or something like that !!:D

lol..Your guys dollar gets any worse, you'll be using Peso's. On a side note, ATV prices here in Canada is ridicolous.

Flyin-Low
01-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 04hemiboy
lol..Your guys dollar gets any worse, you'll be using Peso's. On a side note, ATV prices here in Canada is ridicolous.

Haha yeah they can go ahead and make cracks about the Canadian dollar.. Oh wait! Isn't it on par with the US?? lol

But yeah.. Quads and parts here are insanely priced. My 450 was 10,900 after taxes :(

04hemiboy
01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
Haha yeah they can go ahead and make cracks about the Canadian dollar.. Oh wait! Isn't it on par with the US?? lol

But yeah.. Quads and parts here are insanely priced. My 450 was 10,900 after taxes :(

Honda has some good deals on remaining 07's though. I wanted to buy the 07 450r for my 13yo for Xmas. My dealer had it for $6100.00, but I came to my senses and got him a 07 300ex for $5200.00 brand new. MSRP is $7199.00. I'm hoping next year they have that new 700XX for a good deal. I'm wanting another toy.lol

poogi
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Can you get one from the US and take it back with you ???that would be a good ideal!:confused: