PDA

View Full Version : taking apart flex bars

gsxr68
01-05-2008, 01:20 PM
how do you take out the steel collar. a friend has some and after taking off the clips he cannot get them apart. I have a set with 1 week trip of riding and wanted to make sure that I did not have the same problem as him. Well mine will not come apart ,taken off all of the clips and o-rings and nothing is there something that I am missing

TRX450RACER174
01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Spray some WD40 or something to loosen them up and it helps if you take the nut off of the elastomer to pivot the handle tubes up and down.

exvetrider
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I could not get mine apart either until I used used an air hammer with a punch that I ground down to fit the pin.It will push the pin right out

tank69
01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Why are you taking them apart?

TRX450RACER174
01-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm assuming he is replacing the o-ring on the pivot pins or he needs to clean them, Flexx reccomends not to get the pivots wet so i guess he is just rebuilding or cleaning the pivot points.

tank69
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
I'm assuming he is replacing the o-ring on the pivot pins or he needs to clean them, Flexx reccomends not to get the pivots wet so i guess he is just rebuilding or cleaning the pivot points.

That I did not know! Once I wash my TRX, never with a power washer, I spray some WD on the pivots. Wonder if I should break mine down? Any idea how often or depends on how much wet riding you do?

exvetrider
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
one side of my bars were binding.when you pushed them down they would stick,so i took them apart,cleaned and greased them up

TRX450RACER174
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by tank69
That I did not know! Once I wash my TRX, never with a power washer, I spray some WD on the pivots. Wonder if I should break mine down? Any idea how often or depends on how much wet riding you do?

Yeah it's just another one of those maintenance things my guess is that moisture get into the pivot pins and the bar ends and causes a little corrosion cause there is no real way for moisture to escape once it's in there, but i do the same with the WD and take mine apart every couple of months and check them, Flexx sells a maintenance kit that has the orings for the pivot tubes and new clips i believe. I just looked on FASTCO'S site and the rebuild kit is $5 bucks 4 clips and 14 o-rings for anybody's info.

gsxr68
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
yes just pm on the bars