PDA

View Full Version : yfz a-arms on raptor250

gregw338
01-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know if the a-arms from a yfz450 will fit the raptor 250? I think the uppers will fit but unsure about the lowers. If so will the raptor spindles work with the yfz450 a-arms & tie rods? Will the axle work also? If anyone has any insight or have tried this please let me know.

CEOR
01-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I stopped by the dealer the other day with a tape measure. I was wondering the exact same thing!

1. Uppers will fit.

2. Lowers require rear pivot mount to be moved around 1\2".

3. 450 shocks will work.

4. 450 swing arm will work with additional 1/2" spacer.

Seems like they almost planned this?

bradley300
01-12-2008, 06:57 AM
you'd be much better off just using parts made for a raptor250

gregw338
01-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Not when I can get a complete special edition front end never been on dirt for $100 bucks. Swinger off E-bay any where from $50 - 150.

CEOR
01-12-2008, 09:40 AM
True, the aftermarket will be all over this 250 in a short amount of time. Better quality materials, more adjustability, and various widths and lengths.

While so many yfz 450 take-offs are available out there at low cost, with minimun fabrications to adapt. Gives us a low budget proven component option.

Personally, I opted to pick up an entire front suspension off a '07
450. This included: (2) front shocks, All (4) A-arms. Tie rods, Spindles, Rotors, Calipers, and brake lines. All for $275.00 plus shipping. Not bad, considering I enjoy adapting stuff like this to make a custom, with well disigned proven compents. Takes all the guess work out, and parts are readily available out there.

I think this adaption will achieve the width, and suspension goemetry we need.

Also, a note on the chasis design: has anyone noticed that the swingarm pivot does not incorporate the rear engine mount?
This leads me to believe that we can pick up this bike and use it in a mini class of racing with easily adapted smaller cc engines. Then later reinstall the factory engine as our kids advance up through the classes. "Just a thought"!

Tecate
01-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Can you say YZ125 swap? 144cc bigbore....

CEOR
01-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Apparently great minds think alike!

raptor684
01-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Just remember how light the little raptor is, so unless you are going to send the shocks in and have them revalved and sprung for a 100 pound lighter quad, I d say the idea bout the shocks is waste of money. You can get elkas for 425.00 and by the time you do the 450's shocks, should a got elkas. If yah dont, you will have your suspension all ------ up!

gregw338
01-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Front 450 shocks and stock rear shock revalved and set up for rider wt type of quad and style of riding and by the way springs powdercoated the color of your choice $250 - $300. What a steal

gregw338
01-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Front 450 shocks and stock rear shock revalved and set up for rider wt type of quad and style of riding and by the way springs powdercoated the color of your choice $250 - $300. What a steal

CEOR
01-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Good point about shocks.

Works, Noleen, TCS, Race tech, are some of our local shops that can respring and valve the stock 450 shocks. For around $350

I agree, it would be useless to pay the additional expense to have this work done if you dont already have the shocks. Or, aquired them in a package deal.

Do these $450. Elkas your taking about have adjustable compression and rebound dampning? If so, could you send me a link to them. I would be very interested in picking up a pair at that price.

CEOR
01-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Good point about shocks.

Works, Noleen, TCS, Race tech, are some of our local shops that can respring and valve the stock 450 shocks. For around $350

I agree, it would be useless to pay the additional expense to have this work done if you dont already have the shocks. Or, aquired them in a package deal.

Do these $425. Elkas your talking about have adjustable compression and rebound dampning? If so, could you send me a link to them. I would be very interested in picking up a pair at that price.

gregw338
01-15-2008, 06:43 AM
You can not get compression and rebound adjustable elkas for $450, maybe works but not elkas. Only way you are getting them that cheap is if your buying them used off e-bay, then you are still going to have to get them revalved. You can take a set of stock yfz shocks that are rebound and compression adjustable and have them set up to your personal specs and they will perform just as well as a pair of $1200 elkas. Unless your a pro level racer, which most of us are not.

raptor684
01-15-2008, 01:46 PM
They were the rec shocks, for one they will set them up for you and two most people don't touch the clickers after instalation. Wether it be a piggy back shock or not most can't rebuild theese either so why spend so much more money on them when recs will do there job if set up right. I think they were $423.00 new.

raptor684
01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Most people don't know what compresion and rebound is anyway, so figure one less thing they have to worry about messing up.

gregw338
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
If all I was buying was the shocks, yeah I would buy the type of elkas your talking about. But the guy is selling me the yfz front end as a package for $100 (a-arms, tie rods, brake lines, and shocks). By the time I purchase the front end and send the front shocks along with the stock rear shock in to be re-valved I am looking at about $400. Cant beat a deal like that.

raptor684
01-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Sounds like you know what you are doing, some dont. Let us see some pictures when you are done.

CEOR
01-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Sounds like some of us are going to have YFZ setup, and others are going to ride the aftermarket band wagon. Eitherway, these are going to be one great (adaptable) little racer.

bradley300
01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by raptor684
Just remember how light the little raptor is, so unless you are going to send the shocks in and have them revalved and sprung for a 100 pound lighter quad, I d say the idea bout the shocks is waste of money. You can get elkas for 425.00 and by the time you do the 450's shocks, should a got elkas. If yah dont, you will have your suspension all ------ up!

not to mention i highly doubt the upper shock mount is in the same place on a yfz as it is a raptor, so now your cost of re-valving just went way up since the shocks will need shortend or lengthend. also, have you thought about what it will do to your cast, camber and toe in? yeah your using yfz spindles, but i dont think the distance between the a-arms is the same so you will still have out of whack camber and a-arms that cant adjust for it, and you might have quite a bit more or less caster than such a short quad needs. have you thought about how foward or rearward the yfz a-arms are compared to a raptor? not to mention you dont know what its going to do to the caster. if the a-arms arent in exactly the same spot compared to each other, the caster will be different, too much or too little will make for some horrible steering

the yfz swingarm is also way too long for such a small frame, not to mention it uses a linkage so now your going to be welding on a brand new frame. the upper shock mounts are not the same either. your other option is to bolt the shock directly to the swingarm, i'm honestly not even sure if thats possible with a yfz swinger, but even if it is, its unproven. since the swinger is so long, the front end is going to push like a dumptruck

also remember that yfz tie rods and ends are bigger than a raptor, so you will need all new tie rod ends, and you need to drill bigger holes in the steering flag.

I have never seen a jerry rigged set up like these that end up working better than the aftermarket, but its your quad. personaly all i see this as, is the longer, more expensive way to getting around to buying a good aftermarket set up. yes, these are proven componets, on an entirely different frame. to me, your doing alot of un needed custom work to a perfectly fine quad, to try and use parts that probably wont work near as well as you would like

gregw338
01-16-2008, 01:25 PM
You never know until you try. I will fit the front end first before I send the shocks off for revalving, so if things are not aligning properly big deal, I will just sell the yfz front end on e-bay for a couple of hundred dollars. If things do align up, hooray for me I saved myself some money.

yfzrider310
01-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Thats the spirt...if it dont work sell it on EBAY!!:D

raptor684
02-06-2008, 07:12 AM
So how yah coming?

trxwannbe
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
not to mention i highly doubt the upper shock mount is in the same place on a yfz as it is a raptor, so now your cost of re-valving just went way up since the shocks will need shortend or lengthend. also, have you thought about what it will do to your cast, camber and toe in? yeah your using yfz spindles, but i dont think the distance between the a-arms is the same so you will still have out of whack camber and a-arms that cant adjust for it, and you might have quite a bit more or less caster than such a short quad needs. have you thought about how foward or rearward the yfz a-arms are compared to a raptor? not to mention you dont know what its going to do to the caster. if the a-arms arent in exactly the same spot compared to each other, the caster will be different, too much or too little will make for some horrible steering

the yfz swingarm is also way too long for such a small frame, not to mention it uses a linkage so now your going to be welding on a brand new frame. the upper shock mounts are not the same either. your other option is to bolt the shock directly to the swingarm, i'm honestly not even sure if thats possible with a yfz swinger, but even if it is, its unproven. since the swinger is so long, the front end is going to push like a dumptruck

also remember that yfz tie rods and ends are bigger than a raptor, so you will need all new tie rod ends, and you need to drill bigger holes in the steering flag.

I have never seen a jerry rigged set up like these that end up working better than the aftermarket, but its your quad. personaly all i see this as, is the longer, more expensive way to getting around to buying a good aftermarket set up. yes, these are proven componets, on an entirely different frame. to me, your doing alot of un needed custom work to a perfectly fine quad, to try and use parts that probably wont work near as well as you would like

you my friend need to take a look at the long travel trx90 setups and and the dual a-arm setups and what not being used in the youth classes on the 70s and what not and pay attention to how much of it is done by find things that bolt up and then creating a tab or a mount here and there anddd you might also want to remember that a 400ex front end will mount up exactly on a 300ex along with 400 shocks even aftermarket ones such as works, elkas , etc

guestrider
02-15-2009, 05:53 AM
I've been reading the whole theme and i still don't know...My question is can i put yfz a-arms and yfz shocks on my 250...

P.S sorry from my bad english i'm from Bulgaria.