PDA

View Full Version : 2 subs 1 mono amp?

Kickstarts-suck
01-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Ive been seeing videos with people running 2 subs with a mono amp. Mono amps are 1 channel so how are they running 2 subs?

If I wanted to add another 400RMS 12" kicker to my system what would I have to do so I can have 800 watts RMS total?

:devil:

DF400ex
01-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Alot of people run 2 subs from a mono amp, or run them mono on a 2 channel amp because, when run right, will get more power to each sub. I have a pair of Kicker Comp VR4's on a 400x2 amp. They are run mono, in series, and I am getting 1200 watts to each. There are many diagrams online that will tell you how to wire it depending on the ohms of your speakers and the output of your amp.

What are the ohms of your speakers?
Are they dual voice coil?
What is the output at 1 ohm, 2 ohms, and 4 ohms of your amp? ( not all do 1 ohm or 2 ohms)

HondaEXrider22
01-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Sure you can. Why dont you go on goggle and look for some car audio forums and faqs. You will get everything you need.

ny300exrider
01-05-2008, 09:04 AM
in many cases a class D mono amp is the best for powering subs...i had mine run in a series off a mono and liked it better than a two channel. crutchfeild has great wiring diagrams for each ohm setting..

on the subject of your question, you can run another of the same amp with a distribution block and have each sub amped, or sell off your current amp and get one that is enough to power both(1600w peak 800w rms)...getting a new amp is simpler in the case of less wiring and less things to go wrong but i know a bunch of people who have 2 subs with an amp to each and love it...do some pricing and see which one works out to be a better deal for you in the long run.

i've lost a ton of money "starting small" with subs...wasnt happy with 1 12, wasnt happy with 2 12's, i just want more and more lol....now get me a pair of 18's and i dont think ill complain much.

Lonestar_R
01-05-2008, 11:17 AM
ny300exrider What kind of 18's do you have and what in the world do you have them in? The last set of subs I had were 18's and they were in a 35 cubic foot box with a port big enough to sit in. Oh yeah all in a Dodge Shadow. I know it only played one note.

ny300exrider
01-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
ny300exrider What kind of 18's do you have and what in the world do you have them in? The last set of subs I had were 18's and they were in a 35 cubic foot box with a port big enough to sit in. Oh yeah all in a Dodge Shadow. I know it only played one note. i dont have 18's, just said i wish i did....my friend had 2 fi audio btl 18's in a box that took up his ENTIRE ford expo trunk, i could fit my head in the port...i say HAD because they recently got stolen..sucks they were the absolute craziest subs ive heard in person. my next vehicle will be an s.u.v. though....i need at least some QUALITY 12's in a big box or some 15's.

Kickstarts-suck
01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by DF400ex
Alot of people run 2 subs from a mono amp, or run them mono on a 2 channel amp because, when run right, will get more power to each sub. I have a pair of Kicker Comp VR4's on a 400x2 amp. They are run mono, in series, and I am getting 1200 watts to each. There are many diagrams online that will tell you how to wire it depending on the ohms of your speakers and the output of your amp.

What are the ohms of your speakers?
Are they dual voice coil?
What is the output at 1 ohm, 2 ohms, and 4 ohms of your amp? ( not all do 1 ohm or 2 ohms)

My sub is Kicker CVR12 4 ohms Dual Voice Coil
Running at 2 ohms

think Im going to buy another Kicker 400.1 amp and another CVR12 sub and wire them up with my current system IF I have enough money after I buy some more needed things.

Lonestar_R
01-05-2008, 08:11 PM
My port was 18 inches wide and I think 40 inches high