PDA

View Full Version : Foreman or Rubicon

isaac24
01-04-2008, 11:55 PM
My buddy is looking to get a new wheeler and can't decide what to get any ideas?

We are also looking into some lift kits i noticed that the foreman has more options available for mods is this true?

TheNewn
01-11-2008, 07:03 AM
It may be a little late. But i'd steer clear of the Foreman/Rubicon if i could. Pretty outdated quads (if you dont count power steering one the Rubicon). If i were to buy new, i'd look into the Grizzly series. They've had much more significant upgrades to them throughout the recent years than the foreman/Rubicon have.

Just do your research. If i were to buy a new 4x4 today. It would most defiantly have IRS. And the foreman/Rubicon dont. ALL grizzly models have IRS (with the option of the 350 Griz having a solid axle.)

just my 2 cents.

isaac24
01-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry to say this but i Don't like IRS at higher speeds it tends to handle poorly and another thing I'm sorry to say is that i am a HONDA all the way kind of guy so a grizzly is out of the question.

I do appreciate the response but i don't feel that they are out dated. We are not looking to buy new and he doesn't want the Rincon its too big. We are just looking for an upgrade from his 88 Honda 300 fortrax We want to go back to the honda reliability...thanks anyways

I will say that the grizzlys do look bad as's

TheNewn
01-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I guess I can understand brand loyalty. But in my opinion it will only loose you money and opportunity in the end.

The 350 Grizzly/400 grizzly/450 grizzly are all very nice sized 4x4's nothing near as big as the 660/700's. and they're all available with IRS.

There's more Grizzly's out there than any other 4x4. How unreliable can they be?

I think it would be kind of dumb to pass up a good deal on a used smaller CC grizzly just because it says "yamaha" on the side.

to top it off, there are WAY more mods available for the Grizzly series than other 4 by models.

If you like the Foremans, by all means get one, but im just saying if you're ONLY looking at Honda's. Thats cutting your options on other great quads right off.

isaac24
01-12-2008, 10:08 PM
hear ya loud and clear partner there are other great quads out there that i think highly of but the brand loyalty gets me...

Just out of curiosity what do you ride?

TheNewn
01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Hah, I have two Honda's. In my sig they're listed.

1988 250R, and a 2002 400EX.

My dad has a Foreman 450S and a Raptor 700. So i've had experience with the Foreman, and to tell you the truth i'd rather have a rancher to dink around on instead :) not to mention any grizzly.

And he's also planning on buying an Outlander 800. If that tells you anything.

01-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
It may be a little late. But i'd steer clear of the Foreman/Rubicon if i could. Pretty outdated quads (if you dont count power steering one the Rubicon). If i were to buy new, i'd look into the Grizzly series. They've had much more significant upgrades to them throughout the recent years than the foreman/Rubicon have.

Just do your research. If i were to buy a new 4x4 today. It would most defiantly have IRS. And the foreman/Rubicon dont. ALL grizzly models have IRS (with the option of the 350 Griz having a solid axle.)

just my 2 cents.

We have a 1999 honda 300 fourtrax and we recently updated to a 2004 foreman rubicon and it is a great quad.

TheNewn
01-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Take a serious look at the 450 Grizzly. I'm sure you'll like it a lot.

They changed the name from Kodiak to Grizzly for 07 i think. So you could buy a used 06 Kodiak which is the same thing. Just make sure you get IRS :)

01-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Yea the 450 grizzly is nice but what is the whole differential lock thing about. My friend has one and when its in differential lock its real hard to steer. Is it just like lower gears for more torque for like pulling or getting out of mud?

TheNewn
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Differential lock...it LOCKS the front differential to make it true 4 wheel drive. Both front tires are getting power instead of just one. In normal 4 wheel drive one front tire gets power and it will shift to the other one should it slip too much. But when you lock it they both get power.

It shouldn't be used for leisurely trail riding. But its a really handy feature when you're in some nasty mud or hill climbing/rocks and what not.

Unless you have power steering (I.E. Grizzly 700 or the new Foreman 500) its going to be hard no matter which quad you're on if it has differential lock. Most 4x4's dont.

It's a really nice feature if you use it where it was meant to be used.

And unless you're in those mud/hill climbing sort of situations, i'd just keep it in normal 4 by mode or 2 wheel drive.

STEVEDU2
01-16-2008, 05:07 PM
buy the honda i have a 500 s foreman and it will rip a grizzly in half on a tug of war.my opinion is buy the s (shifter)i think automatics suk.if your looking for something that doesnt go 60mph but has torque out the arsh buy the honda but if you want something that will go 60mph and has nothing for low to mid than buy the grizz or etc.in my opinion i dont understand why anyone would want a utility quad that has nothing but top end and very little mid range.buy the foreman s.hope this helps.:D :p

TheNewn
01-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I disagree, with just about everything he said. :rolleyes:

STEVEDU2
01-17-2008, 06:11 AM
how many changes has yamaha had to make to make theres right??how many changes has honda made??if you want reliability buy the honda.this is just my opinion.

isaac24
01-17-2008, 08:05 AM
thanks stevedu2 i agree totally...reliability low end the whole shebang! And Im sorry but Newn if your so into Yamaha why aren't you posting on something that has to do with yamaha..

Originally all i wanted was opinions on the foreman and the Rubicon and mods for both? Which one are mods more available for and so on? I know my buddy is buying honda so please keep it to that thanks
Isaac :cool:

mittman
01-17-2008, 08:34 AM
hey if you want to get a honda i would do it we have a 02forman 500 and its been through h@ll and it still runs like it came off the dealers floor the only thing i hate about mine is if the wheels start to spin it kicks into 4wd but its still fun to drive

TheNewn
01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by STEVEDU2
how many changes has yamaha had to make to make theres right??how many changes has honda made??if you want reliability buy the honda.this is just my opinion.

yeah...boo for technological advances that improve the performance of ATV's...What does the company improving their atv's have to do with anything? You're saying its BAD that they update their quads? A company shouldn't be knocked for improving their product. There's ALWAYS something that can be improved.

So into yamaha? Maybe im so into ATV's that are better deals than others.

Dont be fooled, the Foreman has undergone many changes over the years.

I swear to god, if it says "Honda" on the side of a pile of crap wrapped in tin foil, you'd buy it claiming it was the greatest thing out there.

"Honda must be better! It doesn't update anything!"...HAH....

STEVEDU2
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
put a set of tires on that pile of crap wrapped in tin foil and it would still out perform your yamaha.lmao:D :) :cool: :macho :devil: :eek2:

mittman
01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
yeah...boo for technological advances that improve the performance of ATV's...What does the company improving their atv's have to do with anything? You're saying its BAD that they update their quads? A company shouldn't be knocked for improving their product. There's ALWAYS something that can be improved.

So into yamaha? Maybe im so into ATV's that are better deals than others.

Dont be fooled, the Foreman has undergone many changes over the years.

I swear to god, if it says "Honda" on the side of a pile of crap wrapped in tin foil, you'd buy it claiming it was the greatest thing out there.

"Honda must be better! It doesn't update anything!"...HAH....

" if it says "Honda" on the side of a pile of crap wrapped in tin foil, you'd buy it claiming it was the greatest thing out there."

when i read that i about passed out cuz i was laughing so hard lol

Honda_Guy99
01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I would get the Foreman. I have a 99 Foreman that has 5,000 miles on it and it has been through hell and back and still running great. The only thing I don't like about it is it's not the smoothest ridin quad out there. About 3 months ago I got a 07 Rincon and LOVE it. It's not all that much bigger than the Foreman is as far as manuverability. And I agree, you can't beat Honda reliability. I have 3 Hondas and the only thing I've done to the Foreman is put a wheel bearing in each side and a few ball joints. I have a 300EX that has about 10,000 miles on it and have had NO trouble with it at all, and it has NOT been babied at all.

As far as the Grizzleys go, I personally wouldn't buy one. A few of my friends have them and they absolutley hate them. Sure, they have high end power, but how often do you need to go 75 through a trail? I'd much rather be able to climb any hill and know I'm not going to run out of power. Also, each one of them broke the factory rear axles. They would just be goin through a nice smooth trail and snap a axle. They had some other problems with them also, but I can't remember what they were.

Oh, and my neighbor has a Polaris 800 and he absolutley looves it, but the other day we were doin a hair scramble and I was on my 07 Rincon and he was on his 800 and he kept sayin how much nicer the Rincon handled than the Polaris. The Rincon kept all 4 tires on the ground in a turn while the Polaris was on 2 wheels on the same turn.

isaac24
01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the opinions! I'm definitely going Foreman and Im definitely going HONDA. Although the Rincon sounds great its kind of out of the price range for the moment but we'll see.

isaac24
01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Oh yea and when Honda comes out with something its already the best technology out there. BUT BETTER

TheNewn
01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Spoken like a true tard ***.

I could point at so many examples to the contrary. But I'm going to leave it at. I tried, it didn't work.

randyl@mschev.c
01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Yamaha has always been a trendsetter and on the cutting edge,I've been riding them for awhile and only do routine maint. oil changes etc. I will say that I think yamaha has the best tranny but they are all pretty good if you take care of them.

randyl@mschev.c
01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Yamaha has always been a trendsetter and on the cutting edge,I've been riding them for awhile and only do routine maint. oil changes etc. I will say that I think yamaha has the best tranny but they are all pretty good if you take care of them.

isaac24
02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Found one 02 Honda 450 foreman with 800 miles $3500...Good Deal??? what you think?

mittman
02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by isaac24
Found one 02 Honda 450 foreman with 800 miles $3500...Good Deal??? what you think?

not really imo its an 02 with 800miles tell him 3,000 this is what it books for

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/PricingReport.aspx?VehicleId=69976&ManufacturerId=18&VehicleClass=Motorcycle&PriceType=Retail&YearId=2002

RideRed84
02-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Spoken like a true tard ***.

I could point at so many examples to the contrary. But I'm going to leave it at. I tried, it didn't work.

I bet you wouldn't trade your R for a Banshee. You should though they are newer and have a bigger motor there fore must be better.:rolleyes:

TheNewn
02-14-2008, 09:09 AM
First and foremost, let the tread die.

Second and briefly. The Grizzly/Kodiak 450 does not have a bigger motor than the Foreman or Rubicon. The Banshee came out in 1986, the same year as the 250R, and has been updated what, once? in all those years. If by newer you mean made more recently, than yes its newer, but not technology wise. Which is what i was talking about comparing the grizzly and the foreman.

And yes, i would trade my 1988 250R for a 2007 or 2008 Banshee pretty quick.

I don't know what you're trying to get at.

That was less than brief, oh well, let the thread die.

biggspew
09-17-2008, 04:14 PM
I am sorry your thread got robbed Isaac24. To answer you as best as I can, I have ridden the Foremans, Rubicons and Rincons extensively as well as a 660 Grizzly and a 350 Wolverine (still one of the all around best bikes on the planet and is 80's tech). You cannot go wrond with either the foreman or the rubicon. I like the simplicity of the foreman, less there to break/ maintain. The rubicon has a little more motor but also looses a little of it's added motor to the auto tranny. I currently ride a 2006 rincon and love the ride and sportiness. I wish it were a little more powerful but do not complain because it has never failed to climb any thing I have pointed it at. I will buy another if Honda puts a diff lock on and engine breaking.
Having said all of that, I will say this. I think the new Rancher 420fm is the best pound-for-pound atv on the market. If your buddy thinks the rincon is to big, please have him sit on/ ride a 420 rancher. I think he will smile. If he wants a bigger frame and likes an auto tranny, the rubicon would be my second choice for him to try. Either bikes are Honda bullet proof and he will enjoy either for a long time.
Either way. . . GET OUT AND RIDE!!