PDA

View Full Version : APEX vs DRX

RTJ
01-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I am trying to decide which of these 2 to buy for my 10 yr old to slowly ease into racing. any help would be appreciated

Ty1on
01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I can only say how well the drr has held up in gncc races and it appears that every forum agrees that the drr dealers and drr go above and beyond and not only is the customer service is excellent so is the product.....just my 2 cents

RTJ
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
ty1on you still got your pred 90. i lost pic and info can you send to ljones@vci.net
THANKS

Ty1on
01-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Re-Sent e-mail.

mxdad
01-05-2008, 04:56 AM
This seems to be the million dollar question these days. You will get a lot of responses for both quads. Probably a lot more in favor of the DRR but most preferences are based on what that individual person owns. I know personally we have had 3 DRR/DRX quads and could not be happier with them. But it all depends on the type of racing you plan on doing. If you are racing xc I would consider a Honda TRX90 which will hold up better in the mud, water, etc... but for mx racing DRR/DRX seems to be the best thing going in mini quads these days. Check around your area and see what dealers are near you, etc...

Also search these forums and you will find several of these apex vs drx threads.

forgiven
01-05-2008, 08:35 AM
For me the biggest factors are initial quality and service. I believe DRR wins both those battles. It is my understanding that the Apex may be a shade faster in stock form, but equally equipped the DRR is more affordable, built better IMO, and there is no doubt they will do more for you after the sale. To me it is a no brainer, but I am drinking the DRR Koolaid at this point.

Even if the Apex was cheaper (which it isn't) I would still get the DRR since as you all have experienced in the past that you never remember the 2-300 you saved but you remember all the frustration of angst in a lower quality build and poor customer service. Just the warm fuzzies of owning a product that a company stands behind has to definitely be worth something. When we buy things as consumers you have to decide if you are going to support companies that support you after the sale or are you going to support a company that will seemingly undercut their own dealers, and seemingly not stand behind their products if it is too costly in hopes that it may be a shade faster in a straight line regardless if it doesn't even handle as well.

I would tell you but you already know where I put my money.

it3iceman
01-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I am in the same situation..... trying to decide which one of he two to get my son. Here's what I have found by talking to different dealers and an very experienced,respected, engine builder.
Stock, out of the box the Apex is a better quad.
If you purchase a DRR, your going to have to add nerf bars, tires and rims, foot brake, and gusset the frame just to start out with. That adds up real quick, maybe thats why a lot of these DRR/parts dealers like DRR....it keeps them in bussiness. Apex has a stronger gussetted frame, aluminum rims and snow hogs, foot brake, AC racing nerfs and bumper, slipper sprocket,straight from the factory. By the time I added up all those things I was going to have to spend on the Drx, I was looking at around $4,500 and the Apex was $3,200. With the difference you could buy some Elkas. The Apex is larger which would be a good thing for you since your son is 10, and won't outgrow it. Hope this helps and good luck to your son.

forgiven
01-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Not sure where you came up with 4500 but it is over 1000 too high.

double d 1
01-05-2008, 02:30 PM
sometimes the most logical thing to do as a parent isnt the most logical thing for a kid. this is just my experience. bought a 07 trx90 for my son $2650.00. bought a 98 trx90 for my daughter $800.00. sold the 98 for$1000.00 sold a weeks vacation and bought a xtreme for$1800.00 not to much money out of pocket. thinking that the xtreme 125 my son would like better because of better suspension, more power. he likes the trx better. why !!! i dont know. he said it feels better. i couldnt afford to to make the 90 like an xtreme as far as double a-arms and motor. maybe i had one to many beers, i'm just rambling.

RTJ
01-05-2008, 02:49 PM
NOT tring to start trouble but i've had a xtreme typhoon. worst nightmare i've ever had just my own experience

mxdad
01-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Both machines are listed as $3,399. Here's the spec's on both machines so you can compare what they REALLY come with...

2008 LIMITED EDITION DRX2 90!

Specs for Limited:

*AC Nerfs
* 44" Dual A-Arms
*Longer Shocks
*Braided Brake lines
*Front and Rear Disc Brakes
*Performance Intake and Reed Cage
*Performance Exhaust (Improved for 2008)
*Keihin 24mm Carburetor or OKO 24
*Aluminum Wheels Front and Rear
*Rear Tires Carlisle Snowhogs 18x6.50x8
*Front Tires MX Razors 19x6x10
*Race Kill Tether
*Malossi Clutch Mods
*High Performance Head (air cooled)
*Pod Filter
*Extended Axle, +2 over 2006 Model
*Electric Start
*Stronger Rear Swingarm for 2008
All this in a light MX package, the Limited
weighs in at only 260lbs (approx)! Liquid
cooled

Note the quality components: AC Racing,
Malossi Clutch Components, Keihin Carb
(not a knock-off of a Keihin) Uni Airfilter,
Maxxis Razors, Snowhogs, Koso Intake!
These are what the race machines run.
Don't settle for second!

http://www.koolkidzatv.com/sitebuilder/images/DRX_Limited_002-410x302.jpg

SOURCE: koolkidzatv.com/DRR2.html

The Apex Pro MXR

Dual A-Arms 44" Wide
Extended Heavy-Duty Rear Axle
12" Billet Gas Shocks
Hydraulic Disk Brakes
Tag Metals Anti-Vibe Steering Stem
Douglas Aluminum Wheels
ITP Tires
Tag Handlebars
Kill Lanyard
Nerf Bars
MX Pipe & Silencer
HP Clutch Assembly
24mm Carburetor
Liquid Cooled Engine
Available in Orange and Black

The Apex Pro MXR is an all out race-bred machine. This bike was built with a 44” wide outside stance to keep stable around high speed turns. Suspension upgrades also include a widened out rear axle and billet aluminum nitrogen charged shocks. Power comes from a liquid cooled, 2-stroke motor. To use the engine at its full potential, the MXR has a tuned HP clutch, MX pipe and silencer, 21mm Keihin carburetor, and a Koso reed cage set up. For stopping power, the MXR has front and rear hydraulic disc brakes. Other features include an anti-vibe steering stem, Tag handlebars, nerf bars, Douglas aluminum wheels, Holeshot tires, a kill lanyard, an adjustable ignition timing plate, and much more. This truly is the best in mini ATV racing!

http://www.apexatv.com/img/mxrphoto1.jpg

SOURCE: apexatv.com/index.php?id=promxr2007

tireman43
01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Nice post mxdad. It's nice to see them side by side(or above each other:D ) I would say it depends on where you can buy them from. Do you have a dealer close by, etc. I'm a little biased due to what I own but they are both very equal as far as the machines go. I made my decision based on customer service and have no regrets. Good luck.

it3iceman
01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Forgiven, that was the price that I was quoted. Now looking at the DRX2, I'm not sure why they wanted to charge me for aluminum wheels and tires, plus nerf bars if it already came with them. Makes me wonder :confused:

forgiven
01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
If you don't go with the limited and build it from the DRX2 90 and add the stuff on it does come out cheaper, but is more work intensive for the seller.

The XFR nerfs are the stuff especially compared to the AC's and the DRR aluminum rims with the rolled edge is much better than the douglas ones.

I just sold one like that with a footbrake that was modified and powdercoated for QUITE a bit less than 3000

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/blindbartimaeus/P1030630.jpg?t=1199576731

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/blindbartimaeus/P1030634.jpg?t=1199576768

When you look at the quality of the rims .160's btw and the quality of those nerfs with the real solid heel guards the swooping side for more lateral protection and the propegs you will see what I am talking about.

Again, I know I am a DRR fanboi but still...

Also not looking to argue, just make sure all the facts are out there. Additionally if you wanted snowhogs I would be glad to keep the maxxis cross rear tires :D

tireman43
01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
My guess would be an unedjucated dealer or new dealer. As forgiven said. They are almost equally priced with similar options.

Nichols Atvs
01-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I think electric start on the apex is a $ 200-300 upgrade as well

Drrs come stock with.

it3iceman
02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
RTJ, If you haven't already made a purchase I would recommend you check out the new Apex long travel. There is a picture of it on Ebay right now, it is in yellow.

RTJ
02-01-2008, 11:28 PM
the pictures really look good. sense i made this post i've talked ,read .looked and listened until i'm really confused i dont know now even if i want a 2 stroke or 4

XXX -rider
02-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by RTJ
the pictures really look good. sense i made this post i've talked ,read .looked and listened until i'm really confused i dont know now even if i want a 2 stroke or 4
maybe this help .. ask your self
do I want to pay 2-3 times as much to rebuild a 4 stroke ...compared to a 2 stroke ??

Bryar Riley
02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
what kind of racing r u gonna be doing....check your box i PMed you..........

RTJ
02-04-2008, 10:39 PM
THANKS guys for all your opions they were very heipful. we're not sure what we are going to do right now. we're gonna play it by ear and see what happens