PDA

View Full Version : intake valves??

d4dgirls
01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Figured I would ask around before freaking out and buying valves. Just checking the valves as I bought an 04 450r used. Exhaust side was well withing specs at .011, but on the right side of the intake is .006, but the left side I can't even get a feeler guage in. Should I try a different shim assuming it is .001 or do I need a new valve. Thanks in advance....

cataway
01-04-2008, 07:26 PM
you need to go with a thinner shim

rap169
01-05-2008, 08:52 AM
intake vlalves on these are made outr of a cheaper/weaker material than the exhasut valves. This causes the valves to pull up into the head making them get tight to the point where you cant correct it with a shim. It also can casue the valve not to seal as well. Buying some aftermarket replaement valves would be the way to go.

d4dgirls
01-05-2008, 12:33 PM
That is what I was afraid of. What vavles do you guys recommend?

Sjorge450R
01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
ive heard nothing but good things from Kibblewhite. I am still running stock valves with 100+ hours and im still in spec.

bloodmoney23
01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
you can try putting in a different shim but your best bet liek is said is just do new valves to be safe. Kibblewhites are the only ones ive heard of being used other than stock.

mcleod
01-05-2008, 04:38 PM
i really love ferrea stuff....
and they do stock and oversize valves for 450R.

d4dgirls
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Got some new valves coming. Not as much as I thought it would be. Better safe than sorry. Thanks guys

trx450er1234
01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
yes the kibblewhite are the best i ride every day and have about 175 hours on my 07 and am still running .006 and.011

Sjorge450R
01-07-2008, 08:52 AM
it figures. Once i open my mouth something goes wrong wth my valves. Same problem you are having. Im gonna shim i tout tomorrow night tho, hopefully. If not, im screwed cause i have no extra money right now.

d4dgirls
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
since the kibblewhites are heavier , don't you need to change the springs as well? Just can't see spending $320 as opposed to $40 stock valves. It only takes about an hour to get the head off, so I could change the valves 8 times before the cost of the stainless valves and ssprings would be worth it. Opiinions???

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by d4dgirls
since the kibblewhites are heavier , don't you need to change the springs as well? Just can't see spending $320 as opposed to $40 stock valves. It only takes about an hour to get the head off, so I could change the valves 8 times before the cost of the stainless valves and ssprings would be worth it. Opiinions???

Huh?

Only need to change springs if you are going from titanium valves to stainless, or vice versa. Since he is running an 04, it has stainless valves already. I guess I would double check on the weight anyways, but I highly doubt its enough of a difference to warrant heavier/lighter springs. The 06+ have ti intake valves, in which case you are correct, you would need the heavier valve springs. Where are you getting $320? The prices I've seen are almost identical for kibblewhite as OEM are. I guess a full spring/retainer/guide kit would be that much, but just valves are around $40 a piece.

smithn1683
01-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by d4dgirls

Honestly I would of played around with it some more. My intake valves where the same way I had 0 clearance between them. Caclulate a new shim size with .001" of clearance. reassemble kick it over a few times to seat the new shims and check the clearance again, you should find that there is some clearance now. Calculate a new shim size with the new clearances and you should be good to go. As long as a shim size exisits where you end up with correct clearances you should not need to replace your valves.

Elduner
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I agree....

even though you cant fit a feeler in there don't mean you need new valves..... I have shimmed mine countless amount of times do to upgrades and cam changes...... each an every time needing new shims.........

Why you would buy valves for this is due to bad advise.

but of course it don't hurt........

rap169
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
yeah no need for springs on those new valves for the 04s and 05s. In my case the valves got so tight i couldnt shim much more. I just had them changed when i got my head work done. If i remember correct they were like 60 bucks for the two or something.

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I can agree somewhat, but those saying you dont need new valves, really dont know. None of us can really tell you whether or not you need new valves. Chances are if they're old and have a lot of hours, you need some headwork. I know I'm probably about due for it. If your valves are that old that they are starting to be sucked into the head, then new ones would be necessary. Just because you can shim that back up to proper clearances, doesn't mean they're not leaking. Over time the valves start to cup from the repeated pounding back into the head from the valve springs. As well this also beats up the valve seating surface. Carbon buildup also adds to this. Over time all of this adds up and the valve seating surface starts leaking, which will lower compression. This takes some time to happen so its quite gradual so you wont really notice it, UNTIL you rebuild the head.

d4dgirls
01-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Understand both points. Just for kicks and grins I did change the shim out assuming with .000 and still no clearance. It is an '04 and from what I was told does have titanium valves. Kibblewhite specifically says if you change the valves for a '04 you need new springs which is why I asked. Even though I do not see any damage, it is worth the $40 to play it safe. Since kibblewhite recomended new springs and I can only find them in a set with retainers, etc. It is a lot more expensive to change over. This is also my first atv I have worked on, but concept is still the same. Typically, when changing to a different type of valve, I have always changed the springs. Just good habit....

p.s. would have to agree with 400ex. See things the same way.

bloodmoney23
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
IMO, I agree with 400 and D4D......1. when you replace valves, you replace everything ensuring you are fixing the issue. 2. A 4 stroke is almost liek a 2 stroke, every year or two you have to rebuild the topend on a 2 stroke right? well with a 4 stroke every year or two you need to replace valves, springs and retainers. and possibly get your seats redone. and 3. if only one valve is completely out of clearance that automatically says "STOP" this valve is jacked up. And if you would only replace 1 valve or 2 valves, then you are jacked up. If you need to replace 1, you need to replace them all. and kibblewhite or stock doesnt really matter. The stocks are gonna last just as long.

rap169
01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
i had my head rebuilt with new valves and stock springs at the beginning of feb 2007. Ive ran a complete season of xc racing alot of times bouncing of the rev limiter and have had absolutely no issues. Talk to a good head builder. There are alot of them on these forums. They can help you decide if you should replace the springs or not. Mine told me no need. Unless i was putting in a very radical camshaft. My hrc would be fine.