PDA

View Full Version : New Cam

BluBeaSSt
01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Bought a Hot Cam Stage III for my stock 400ex, anyone have one of these yet? I bought that and a Big Gun Rev Box, gonna take some disk out of my White Brothers E pipe and see how she runs tomarrow :D

drew416ex
01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Not sure that is going to work very well with stock compression. You may gain some top end but you will lose a lot of low to mid range power.

casey_lamm
01-04-2008, 04:09 PM
are you running a stock piston?
Originally posted by R_Hoaglin2
Bought a Hot Cam Stage III for my stock 400ex, anyone have one of these yet? I bought that and a Big Gun Rev Box, gonna take some disk out of my White Brothers E pipe and see how she runs tomarrow :D

BluBeaSSt
01-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by casey_lamm
are you running a stock piston?

Yes, for now

casey_lamm
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
one mechanic I talked to about cams said with the stage 3 he sees them go through head gaskets alot.

Other then that I think your cam is way overkill...but you probably will build the bike up to it eventually...

What are you jetted at and do you run with a lid on the air box.?
Yes, for now

BluBeaSSt
01-04-2008, 05:53 PM
one mechanic I talked to about cams said with the stage 3 he sees them go through head gaskets alot.

Other then that I think your cam is way overkill...but you probably will build the bike up to it eventually...

What are you jetted at and do you run with a lid on the air box.?

165 main jet, and w/o a lid with an outwear on the stock filter

WFO400
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
You should have went with the stage 2. Stage 1 and 2 you can use with mildly modified engines, 1 has more low to mid and 2 has more mid to top, but both have more power everywhere over the stocker. Stage 3 is for highly modified engines, obviously yours is not. I would not put it in until you do some other mods, but that's just me

01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
why stage 3? do you plan on getting a stroker?

casey_lamm
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
i considered the stage 3 now for that reason, but i decided against it. I rarely get to open mine above 4th gear cause of the trails I ride...so to me I needed the improvements in the low end...stage 1.

Im with the others and would advise against putting it in for now.

With is modified the way it is I would use a similar mind set...

where do you want your power

stage 1 - low to mid
stage 2 - mid to high

stage 1 isn't better then 2 and so on...its where you need the power.

Are you dead set on stage three...if so explain why...cause maybe im missing something that will help it make sense.

Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
why stage 3? do you plan on getting a stroker?

BluBeaSSt
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
i considered the stage 3 now for that reason, but i decided against it. I rarely get to open mine above 4th gear cause of the trails I ride...so to me I needed the improvements in the low end...stage 1.

Im with the others and would advise against putting it in for now.

With is modified the way it is I would use a similar mind set...

where do you want your power

stage 1 - low to mid
stage 2 - mid to high

stage 1 isn't better then 2 and so on...its where you need the power.

Are you dead set on stage three...if so explain why...cause maybe im missing something that will help it make sense.

The 4 stroke makes Tq on its own regardless of the cam, I do alot of sand stuff which kills the top end, and if im gonna do something I wanna do it right the 1st time.

it wont get stroked anytime soon....if ever..

tar
01-04-2008, 08:07 PM
The 4 stroke makes Tq on its own regardless of the cam, I do alot of sand stuff which kills the top end, and if im gonna do something I wanna do it right the 1st time.

It sounds like you shoud have went with stage 2 then but it's not my decision

casey_lamm
01-04-2008, 08:10 PM
well, good luck. I hope you get what you are looking for from it...when will you have it in and when will you get to test it... keep us updated.

BluBeaSSt
01-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Gonna put it in tomarrow...or try depending on if I have time, run acouple tanks threw it tomarrow and then test her out :D

XXXRACER165
01-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Sounds Fun!!!

BluBeaSSt
01-06-2008, 01:28 PM
got it in today, havent broken it in YET.

I need a full pipe would be my guess, and maybe a K&N, all i know is it wants to jump up on my like a 450R now :D

casey_lamm
01-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I dont know how seriously most take the break in instructions but you can get them right at hotcams website. I will be following them to the T.

So there was quite a big difference?

BTW I have a dynojet jet kit that I got by accident for sale if you are interested...i like them alot...

got it in today, havent broken it in YET.

I need a full pipe would be my guess, and maybe a K&N, all i know is it wants to jump up on my like a 450R now :D

BluBeaSSt
01-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I dont know how seriously most take the break in instructions but you can get them right at hotcams website. I will be following them to the T.

So there was quite a big difference?

BTW I have a dynojet jet kit that I got by accident for sale if you are interested...i like them alot...

Yeah there break in says 30 mins above 3K rpm then check the valves, here when i get alot of time im gonna run a full tank threw it threw the trails and that should be fine.

No thank dont need a jet kit, i just slaped a 165 main in it

flauge
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
How does it idle? I gave a buddy of mine a Magnum stg 2 and if anybody looks up the specs on it they'll see that its a pretty wild grind, wilder than the stg 3 hotcam. Anyway he put it in his stock pistoned 400 and it sounds crazy.
Dont know how much of a gain it gave him but his is faster than mine now, used to be the other way around before. We can switch bikes and it'll still be the same.:ermm:

BluBeaSSt
01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by flauge
How does it idle? I gave a buddy of mine a Magnum stg 2 and if anybody looks up the specs on it they'll see that its a pretty wild grind, wilder than the stg 3 hotcam. Anyway he put it in his stock pistoned 400 and it sounds crazy.
Dont know how much of a gain it gave him but his is faster than mine now, used to be the other way around before. We can switch bikes and it'll still be the same.:ermm:

Idles great! alot smoother than I thought it would be:cool:

casey_lamm
01-06-2008, 08:26 PM
any change in sound...some report the sound pretty mean after install
Idles great! alot smoother than I thought it would be:cool:

BluBeaSSt
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
any change in sound...some report the sound pretty mean after install

Later this week ill go try to get some video so everyone can hear :cool:

flauge
01-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Haha I just remembered something now that you mentioned it. This might sound crazy but my friends 400 actually got a tad quieter. Im guessing that the wild cam reduced the dynamic compression that much to make it do that. Anyways he's running a white bros pro meg full system with no discs, just straight thru. Its quieter than my White bro slip on with just 10 discs and the quiet core.

Napalm Nate
01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
About how long does it take to install a new cam. Got one and I am going to install it this week.

drew416ex
01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
It depends how familiar you are with the machine. Ive taken down many 400's so it would only take me around 30 min. if everything went right. Dont rush though, thats when bad things happen.

casey_lamm
01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
i would schedule 3 hrs to devote to it.

30 mins prep...clean everything, get tools out.

1 hr install

1 extra hour in case things dont go smoothly

30mins testing/breakin

but dont rush it and if you get confused throw in the towell and get help, dont chance damage.

Originally posted by Napalm Nate
About how long does it take to install a new cam. Got one and I am going to install it this week.

BluBeaSSt
01-07-2008, 04:32 PM
i would schedule 3 hrs to devote to it.

30 mins prep...clean everything, get tools out.

1 hr install

1 extra hour in case things dont go smoothly

30mins testing/breakin

but dont rush it and if you get confused throw in the towell and get help, dont chance damage.

Thats about right, i wasnt in any hurry and was distracted by my friends project he needed help on and took me about 3 mins or so, but i didnt relaly have to clean anything since my bikes brand new.

WFO400
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
It depends how familiar you are with the machine. Ive taken down many 400's so it would only take me around 30 min. if everything went right. Dont rush though, thats when bad things happen.

30 min?? I'd like to see that......That's lightening quick! I'd say an hour would be fast, that's including taking all the plastic/tank off and on, plus everything else thats in the way.

drew416ex
01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
That 30min wasnt including cleaning anything since my stuff is usually clean to start with. And like i said, i have done it quite a few times. After a few times you kinda figure out little tricks to do things more quickly, plus i dont take off the front plastic to do mine.

flauge
01-12-2008, 01:08 AM
So... Did you break it in and send it out on its maiden voyage yet?? How'd it run?

BluBeaSSt
01-12-2008, 08:34 AM
So... Did you break it in and send it out on its maiden voyage yet?? How'd it run?

I havent had the chance yet,where i ride is one massive mud pit right now :(

casey_lamm
01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
that doesn't sound like a problem, sounds like fun :)

I havent had the chance yet,where i ride is one massive mud pit right now :(

BluBeaSSt
01-12-2008, 10:55 AM
that doesn't sound like a problem, sounds like fun :)

No like so muddy my buddy's 4x4 truck gets stuck :eek2:

BluBeaSSt
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Got her all broke in today and made a ****ty Camaer Phone Video Ill have up in a few shakes

BluBeaSSt
01-13-2008, 02:43 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/grn4fbody/th_840A0669.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/grn4fbody/?action=view&current=840A0669.flv)

Bad camera phone video

casey_lamm
01-13-2008, 02:52 PM
so what were your gains? overall impression of the mod...how do you like it... where is your power compared to stock cam. Was it worth the $?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/grn4fbody/th_840A0669.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/grn4fbody/?action=view&current=840A0669.flv)

Bad camera phone video

BluBeaSSt
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
so what were your gains? overall impression of the mod...how do you like it... where is your power compared to stock cam. Was it worth the $?

MASSIVE differance, i think ill get some more once i get a full race exhuast system. lets just say with my 235lbs *** on it she wants to stand up at WOT in 3rd and 4th :eek2:

casey_lamm
01-13-2008, 03:05 PM
thats pretty impressive...do you have or are you thinking about a revbox?

1000 extra rpm with the kind of power you described sounds pretty interesting.

MASSIVE differance, i think ill get some more once i get a full race exhuast system. lets just say with my 235lbs *** on it she wants to stand up at WOT in 3rd and 4th :eek2:

BluBeaSSt
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
thats pretty impressive...do you have or are you thinking about a revbox?

1000 extra rpm with the kind of power you described sounds pretty interesting.

Already have a Big Gun Rev box :cool:

04TRX400EX
01-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I have two thoughts ...

1.) I thought the Stage 3 Hot Cam was specifically designed for the 460cc stroker kit. I even remember them saying it on their website.

2.) From the video, I would say you need to turn down your idle a bit. It sounds like it's running too many rpm's.

BluBeaSSt
01-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I have two thoughts ...

1.) I thought the Stage 3 Hot Cam was specifically designed for the 460cc stroker kit. I even remember them saying it on their website.

2.) From the video, I would say you need to turn down your idle a bit. It sounds like it's running too many rpm's.

1. Yes it doesm but so does the stage 2

2.Yeah I know I need to, im just messing with the idle

casey_lamm
01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
i didn't go with the stage 3...but im planning on completing it tomorrow...on the idle...i agree its a tad fast but for some reason...i know several people that race them (400's) and one is a mechanic professionally...their have theirs on the high side... good luck to you...ill post some video when I get mine broken in.

1. Yes it doesm but so does the stage 2

2.Yeah I know I need to, im just messing with the idle

flauge
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
How is the low end now?
When I rode that magnum cammed stocker it didnt really feel like it lost too much bottom to me. But when you hit the mid you better hang on. It pulled a lot harder all the way thru the top to the rev limiter.
Power delivery is a lot different than my stg 1, mine is a lot smoother with more bottom and a softer mid and top.

BluBeaSSt
01-13-2008, 09:35 PM
How is the low end now?
When I rode that magnum cammed stocker it didnt really feel like it lost too much bottom to me. But when you hit the mid you better hang on. It pulled a lot harder all the way thru the top to the rev limiter.
Power delivery is a lot different than my stg 1, mine is a lot smoother with more bottom and a softer mid and top.

it still has some tq down low, but once you hit the mid range it yanks the front wheels up....and thats with me on it...and im 235lbs lol

flauge
01-13-2008, 09:40 PM
it still has some tq down low, but once you hit the mid range it yanks the front wheels up....and thats with me on it...and im 235lbs lol I'll tell ya, if I wasnt doing xc I'd put me a stg 3 in. I've got one thats been sitting on the shelf for over a year and Ive never had the balls to try it.:p