PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Dc Hi-performance Cdi

forgiven
01-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Have seen these and the PVL's how much of a difference do they make on the low end?

Thanks

BradLoomis
01-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I prefer them more than a PVL. You can run the DC ignition off of your stator and not need to run a battery just like the PVL. But the best system I run is:

Mount in a 14volt Dewalt cordless battery system to power the DC system (very light weight and quick to change batteries between moto's, an old drag racing trick from the NHRA Pro Stock bikes).

Remove the fly wheel and remove the inner steel sleeve and the magnets that are inside the flywheel ( way more weight is removed than trying to lighten the steel surface of the flywheel, plus no drag from the charging coils that you don't need anymore).

Slot the stator plate reverse and retard your timing 3-5 degrees, instead of advancing it like you normally would. Now you will have about 15 degrees of advancement in take off for more torque, but by retarding the top end, you will gain around 1000 more rpm which is huge on a cvt setup.

If you run a Nology wire with it, you get this HUGE spark that is awsome. I relly do like the setup and haven't found an anolog PVL that can match it. I haven't messed with the digital ones, and I do feel like those have the potential to be the best, but I don't like the price tag that goes along with it, compared to what I get from the DC setup.

forgiven
01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
If I keep the normal battery system in tact for electric start purposes could I just use that battery?

BradLoomis
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by forgiven
If I keep the normal battery system in tact for electric start purposes could I just use that battery?

Yes, but you don't gain the advantage of a lighter/smaller battery that you can relocate to get it away from the heat of the pipe. And you also don't get the advantage of the faster acceleration of removing so much weight from the flywheel... that is unless you are going to recharge your large battery after every use.

Usually when people speak of PVL's, because of the cost, they are looking for full racing and have dropped the elec starter. In your case, if you are keep the starter, I would say the DC is definately the way I would go anyway.

forgiven
01-04-2008, 04:19 PM
My whole deal would be to gain low end power for woods riding. Seen the claims of the DC one and thought I would do the noob thing and ask the question.

So are you saying the bikes alternator won't keep up with the demand of the DC ignition?

BradLoomis
01-04-2008, 04:47 PM
No, the alternator will keep up just fine. For woods riding, the advancement in timing will be very good bang for the buck. It's just when you talk about PVL's for around $500-$700 or a DC $150... I thought you were looking for full race type applications. The DC ignition is a great system for your application.

forgiven
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Great...thanks a lot Brad

tom450r
01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
hey stranger LOL. i have a PVL new in the box & when i get my motor back from Dave Carter I will let you know how it runs.

forgiven
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I am sure the PVL will be the shizzle, but I just can't give up the electric start. A lot of play bike riding so there is a lot of starting and stopping. A lot of times I am not around to help start it.

tom450r
01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
my daughters 10 I'll let you know how she handles it & will hopefully get together with you some time soon & he can try ours for himself.

forgiven
01-04-2008, 05:45 PM
:D