PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on LTR

88 zilla
01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I am looking at buying a 2007 LTR and wondering how they are on trails. I live in Las Vegas so I do 50% sand and 50% trails and I am wondering how they do on trails. With the smaller rear tires does the rear get hung up alot and is there a problem with traction trying to go uphills. I have a 1988 LT500 and am looking to get something alittle more reliable. Thanks for your help.

cbrooks118
01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
IMO the LTR does very well in the trails. The smaller tires on the back allow them to be slung around whenever you need the to do so. The only bad thing would have to be the width. Some trails in your area might be narrow, but here in west texas, the trails are plenty wide to accomodate for the LTR. I would change to some larger tires in the sand, the 8" rears spin alot. My friend who owns an 06 (which i have ridden many times) uses 20x11x9 haulers in the sand and zooms through the trails in waynoka just like anyone else on a 450.

Worst case scenario you do not like the 8" rears, you can always find a set of rims/tires from a 400ex and throw them on there since the bolt pattern is the same. We have done that plenty of times. It does seem to help against bumpsteer, but if your arent an aggresive rider, you probably wont notice it much

LTandRaptorider
01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Your trails are much different than what I have here in PA. As far as width, I have had no probs. But I am used to my LT250R which is almost 50" wide. First thing I did however before trail riding was put 20" rears on and swingarm skid plate. If you have any rutted rocky trails, you will need to do this.

ohsobad_chevy
01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I personally did not like riding a stock LTR in the woods, way too high geared and the 18" tires were constantly getting high centered. Found it hard to power through rutted out areas. Never really had an issue with width.

88 zilla
01-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Your trails are much different than what I have here in PA. As far as width, I have had no probs. But I am used to my LT250R which is almost 50" wide. First thing I did however before trail riding was put 20" rears on and swingarm skid plate. If you have any rutted rocky trails, you will need to do this. Width is not a problem as I now ride a 88 LT500 and I have tore it down to do a frame up restoration so I want something else to ride while this is being done.

RATPACK Z400
01-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Go with 20in or 22in rear tires and 22in front for trails wont be issue with rocks and ruts and swingarm skid is manditory. If you can, get the 08 instead.alot of motor and sus. changes you,ll wish you had.

joecrack85
01-06-2008, 01:13 PM
i also live in las vegas and ride a ltr 450. i went above and beyond and put 20 inch backs and 22 inch fronts with a regear at 13t front and 38t back. it works great for apex riding and excellent for running paddles for dumont or armagosa. definatly a good choice

joecrack85
01-06-2008, 01:16 PM
i also recommend going out of town to buy it cause they will rip you off here. i got mine in sandiego at a place called alba action sports. it came with full exhaust, velocity air filter, cherry bomb, handle bars, new seat and graphics