PDA

View Full Version : Atv sport mag

pred174
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
anybody read on the 450 shootout at all

glamiskid395
01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
wasnt that a few months ago?
if so then yeah i did, but i dont remember. i could read it over, but what info do you want?

pred174
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
i thought it just came out...it has all 7 450 models...i didn't get a chance read the whole thing at the store and i am pretty cheap seeing i got to pay doctor bills for my broken leg..

I was just wondering what the out come was and how they liked some of the new models

erac4019
01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I havent seen it yet but I bet I can guess how the final standings looked. I would guess:

1. KTM
2. CanAm DS
3. YFZ
4. Polaris
5. Honda
6. Suzuki
7. KFX

Magazine tests are fun to read but in all reality ALL of the 450 quads are so close in performance stock it doesnt really matter to the average rider. In the same respect take any of those quads and toss $10,000 at it and hand it over to a national caliber rider it still doesnt really matter. I do like looking at the pictures though.
:blah:

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by erac4019
I havent seen it yet but I bet I can guess how the final standings looked. I would guess:

1. KTM
2. CanAm DS
3. Polaris
4. YFZ,Honda
6.KFX
7. LTR

Magazine tests are fun to read but in all reality ALL of the 450 quads are so close in performance stock it doesnt really matter to the average rider. In the same respect take any of those quads and toss $10,000 at it and hand it over to a national caliber rider it still doesnt really matter. I do like looking at the pictures though.

Close., but I fixed it for you

erac4019
01-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow, that KTM motor in the Polaris must be a huge upgrade from the old Pred 500 to put it ahead of the Yamaha and Honda. My buddy just got an 08 525irs and he said its so fast he wanted to take it back....but then he sat down to pee and cried himself to sleep :D but from what I hear the 450 and 525 are basically the same motor so it makes sense.

ktmbill
01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey what month is it & it is ATV sport ?

honduh440
01-06-2008, 04:46 PM
how in the world do you put the polaris over the suzuki and honda?

erac4019
01-06-2008, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by honduh440
how in the world do you put the polaris over the suzuki and honda? [/QUOTE
they put everything ahead of the Suzuki

Pappy
01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by erac4019

actually, there are so many differences between the 450's that comparing them is a joke unless you have specific guidlines to outline why one is better then the other. one may be best in the woods while one is better on the mx track, and another may do both well. stating that ones is superior then the other using general or overall performance usually comes down to rider preference, style of riding or intended genre', parts availability and pricing, difficulty in working on the machines (extremely important now that EFI is a player)

in the end, it comes down to what you want to do with the atv, what level of riding you intend to achieve, and what machine fits your riding style. power differences are varied, suspensions feel different, ergonomics are different and the list goes on and on. and if they add in price and availability to some form of scoring, the real world results just went right out the window.

GE4x4
01-06-2008, 05:05 PM
The mag was the March 08 and it was for best trail shootout. If it was for MX, like Pappy said, the resulte would most likely be different. They gave the LTR last due to width, small rear tires and was the heaviest at 413lbs with 1 gal of gas. Again this was a TRAIL shootout as this is what most avt riders do. I'm sure there will be a MX and dune one coming. But thoses KTM engines are very fast, but user friendly for trail riding.