PDA

View Full Version : DS90X Mods

tmfracing
01-04-2008, 10:27 AM
What upgrades have you made to your DS90X?

I removed the sparky but it actually seems to have less power with it out.

Also, does anyone know anything about a grey wire on the CDI box that can be cut to increae HP? If so, please describe where this wire can be located.

Thanks in advance.

kris32775
01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey that grey wire is located under the right fender it is a bullet style connecter you need small hands to access it. double check that. i read that on another forum. we are going to try it out this weekend.

9sec.Bird
01-04-2008, 02:10 PM
How much are the DS90x's ?

Any idea How do they compare to the DRX90's ?

RTJ
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I LOOKED AT ONE YESTERDAY IN CLAKSVILLE, TN $3349. LIST

tmfracing
01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I paid $3,300 OTD for my son's.

Regarding how it compares to the DRX90. I would expect that the DRX90 would have much more power stock to stock. Of course, that is due to the DRX90 being a 2-stroke machine and the DS90X is a 4-stroke.

I choose the DS90X because it is a 4-stroke. I do not want to be told when my son and I can take rides together. I live in San Diego where the weather is typically right around 70' degrees year around.

There are rules around here that limit 2-strokes to ride 3 months out of the year.

I personally think that the DRX90's are a nice quad and may have looked at one if they had a 4-stroke option.

Everyone has different needs and want's and ultimately that's what's going to determine what will fit you best.

tmfracing
01-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I spoke to Justin today at Maximum RPM he is still about a month out on a complete exhaust system for the DS90X. He also will have a CDI box, Air Filter Kit, Cluth Mod's, Jetting Kit and Big Bore Kit's for this quad.

He advised me that the DS90X in stock form puts out 3.5 h.p. @ the rear wheels. When he added his new exhaust and cdi it puts out 7.0 h.p. @ the rear wheels. That's a 100% increase in power. If you are looking for more torque you can gain 2.5-3lb's of torque by adding his clutch mod's.

He is confident that he can build this unit up to compete with any highly modded Honda TRX90.

The bottom line is that with a little bit of work this quad can become very competitive.

That's good news!

RAWDAWG635
01-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Hetrick is working on performance parts for the ds90 too.

tmfracing
01-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I am pretty sure that Justin @ Maximum RPM is making the hop up parts for the DS90X and Hetrick is reselling them.

tmfracing
01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I am pretty sure that Justin @ Maximum RPM is making the hop up parts for the DS90X and Hetrick is reselling them.

Jaybird
01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I have my nephews in the barn, He has been riding with my son on the little track in the pasture. I think a clutch mod would do wonders, It snaps off the line decent but takes forever to build speed. Is there a spacer in there that keeps the sheaves from closing all the way? It is also slow to rev. A pipe and carb upgrade should help that. I may try the Mikuni 22 I pulled from my sons Typhoon. Also, the shifter is right in the way, it is just held on with set screws so I may try to find a knob about the size of a golf ball and chop the lever down. And for some reason the rebound is VERY slow. You can pick the quad up and it takes about 2 seconds for the tires to droop all the way down. It seems to be sprung about right but way over damped. It does seem well built though and can probably be upgraded into a nice strong runner for relatively cheap.
Brian

Z400Pilot
01-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by kris32775
Hey that grey wire is located under the right fender it is a bullet style connecter you need small hands to access it. double check that. i read that on another forum. we are going to try it out this weekend.

Did you try disconnecting the gray wire? Where did you read about it?

Thanks

kris32775
01-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Yes we did I don't think it made that much if any difference. I read that on another forum. some people said it made a huge diff some said not at all.give it a try and let me know what you think. thanks kris

Z400Pilot
01-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Kris,
I just took my son out on the DS90X for the first time yesterday. It will be a little while before he (or me for him) is ready for more speed. When we do get to that point I will try it (gray wire) and I will post my observations.

kris32775
02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
just wondering if anyone looked at putting on a rear foot brake, i'm thinking a 400ex brake pedal and master cylinder might work. let me know if you have any ideas. Talked to max rpm the otherday and he has the clutches ready.I'm going to get a preproduction exhaust around the first or second week in march, then the cdi. I'll let you know how they are. They said it should almost double the horse power at the rear wheels.also is anyone running the d6 ultimate series this year? we were going to just do atco but every thing is still up in the air i guess, hope to see some of they same people at the series.

kris32775
03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Just got off the phone with justin at max. rpm. He is shipping us the exhaust and cdi on thursday, should be in pa by monday. I'll let you know how it is and post some pics. 1st race on march 16th at sleepyhollow. we'll see how it stacks up.

etondaddy
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
That will be a great test for it for sure they'll be some fast d5 kids there. I should be a blast. Kyle we'll be on his e-ton but in the shifter class.......... he's Honda's not going to be done and we don't want to lose the points in the PAMX series. See ya there.

I met and was talking to Justin at the Indy show and he was real excited about the pipe, cdi, and clutches for the Cam-Am

Mike Kozura

kris32775
03-11-2008, 06:50 PM
WOW. just installed the pipe and cdi. huge difference. really wakes the bike up. not to loud, but a nice tone. guess i,m going to get the clutches to, probally after the elkas come in. i'll post pics tomorrow. see you at sleepy on sunday.

musky
03-16-2008, 07:38 AM
We finally got all of Rieys parts on over the last week. The rear clutch, cdi, & ehaust. The new parts made a big difference. Now we are wating for a carb. upgrade & new airbox. There are more pictures on http://www.bakmotorsports.net/Home_Page.html

musky
03-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I forgot to attach the picture of the new exhaust.

etondaddy
03-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Hey Musky looks good......... me and Kevin have known each other for about five years now and have build minis together for those five years he's a good guy and he'll take care of you.

Mike Kozura

mxdad423
03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words Ron and Mike, I am always happy to help out as much as I can. Yea Mike it's hard to believe it's been that long already, I know one thing, in that amout of time we have built alot of quads and spent ALOT OF MONEY, LOL....
Hey Ron, have you picked out all your new Kasea parts yet? :D :D :D LOL....
Did you get to do any adjusting to the clutches today? If so how did it go? Did you find any combo that you like a little better. Give me a call tommorrow and we can talk a little more about the sprockets.
Don't forget to get me some pics of Riley and I will get them up....

Thanks again,
Kevin Smitley

dcarter
03-19-2008, 03:18 AM
hey all, dave here!
I have the can am 90 in the shop, justin brought it to me and i am working on long travel a-arms and swing arms for it know. may be in 2to3 weeks we will have a few things for it. also we will be doing a round house swing arm as well. we will post pics as we get parts done for the mini. thanks dave

etondaddy
03-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by dcarter
hey all, dave here!
I have the can am 90 in the shop, justin brought it to me and i am working on long travel a-arms and swing arms for it know. may be in 2to3 weeks we will have a few things for it. also we will be doing a round house swing arm as well. we will post pics as we get parts done for the mini. thanks dave
You Can-Am boys are set now Super Dave's on it........... get prepared to be amazed :eek: :eek:

Mike Kozura

musky
03-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by etondaddy
You Can-Am boys are set now Super Dave's on it........... get prepared to be amazed :eek: :eek:

Mike Kozura

Thats what Kevin has told me. I ran a couple of things past Kevin for Dave to look at. The only problem is my wife says if I keep talkn to you guys that I'm going to have to get a second job or move into Kevins garage.

dcarter
03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
i have a 16X20 out building beside my house you can move into if you need to. dave

etondaddy
03-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by dcarter
i have a 16X20 out building beside my house you can move into if you need to. dave
There you go..... Kevin's shed's pretty small I'd go with Dave's building. Your one of us now...... life is all about quad racing..... I hope your as lucky as me and your wife gets into it.. it makes life so much easier.

Mike Kozura

STOCKRACING917
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy
There you go..... Kevin's shed's pretty small I'd go with Dave's building. Your one of us now...... life is all about quad racing..... I hope your as lucky as me and your wife gets into it.. it makes life so much easier.

Mike Kozura

LOL@mike....your wife reads the forum, don't she?
....suck up...hehe

etondaddy
03-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Yes sir my lips are right up against her dupa........ :blah: :blah:
LOL..... and yes she reads this all the time :devil: :devil:

Mike Kozura

tmfracing
03-22-2008, 11:09 AM
For those of you who have purchased either the exhaust, cdi or the clutch kit is it worth the extra money? I was thinking about buying all of the above from Maximum RPM. Will the $800.00 of upgrades make a big difference in the bikes performance? I was speaking with someone from Hetrick's and they were saying that the biggest problem with this bikes performance is in the design of the head.

My boy is not looking to race. He just likes to ride fast out on the trails/desert.

Thanks,

musky
03-22-2008, 05:50 PM
We have all 3 on our sons quad. We put the the exhaust & cdi on at the same time so I really cant tell what part made a bigger difference. I'm guessing that it would be the exhaust. The way the old one was routed was pretty screwed up. We installed the clutches a few days later. At 1st I wasnt to impressed but my son & I dialed them in Sat. & he said it was a whole lot better. I hope this helps. tmfracing I sent u a pm

kris32775
03-22-2008, 06:38 PM
We also have the exhaust and cdi, I opted to buy a rear shock (elka) before i bought the clutches. trying to use the money were i think he will need it most. We will be getting the clutch though.The exhaust and cdi made a big difference, granted the bike still needs allot more power. We were at sleepyhollow today and he finished 3rd over all but the bike is slow. only good thing is it didn't break like some other bikes. will be calling both heitrick and max. rpm on monday to what is ready. good luck and see you at evansville. d6 round 2. Oh did anyone find that the bike is running lean after installing the pipe. I think we have to go up a size in jet. or if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. thanks kris

FISH ON!
03-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Go for the upgrades. We installed the pipe, CDI and rear clutch all at the same time. The combo made a big difference on the track. If you get the pipe, don't make the effort to try and get the original one off in one piece. I tried and ended up cutting it in three pieces anyway and wasted a couple hours. Does anyone have any advise on the adjustable clutch? We have the Koso and we went with two of the three weights and two ticks on the scale adjustment. My son is about 70 lbs. We haven't played with the adjustments yet since I don't have a good tool to break it down. Once I make one we should be able to try some adjustments at the track. We're still hunting more power and would like to get a new rear shock. My son likes to get air and we are having some issues with the rear shock. The front seems to work great. Justin at MaxRPM said the carb was a little high on the jets from the factory and it should be fine with the mods and he was right. The plug looked great and it runs smooth. May need to increase the size when we get more air through the intake.

Has anybody found a good filter to replace the factory one? The original filter is falling apart. We're trying to keep the factory box in tact for GNCC rules. We also can't seem to keep the factory rear fender support brackets from breaking. Any good ideas out there on that?

Go X-Team !

musky
03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Congradulations on your sons good finish, not bad at all for a new quad. We have been lucky our plugs have looked really good after 4 or so hours on the new exhaust. We switched over to the iridium plugs, not sure if that makes a difference. I heard there were 2 90x's dynoed & 1 didnt need rejetted & 1 did. If you get the clutches play around with them, make a huge holeshot gain. We are going to mess around with some smaller rear sprockets, seems like it's geared awful high with the larger kenda tires.
Good Luck
Ron

kris32775
03-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Thank you. My son was Happy too. Thank god he understands that it's going to take awhile to get the bike were it needs to be. If the plug is a whitish color that means it's to lean correct. should i move the clip down a position or wait till we can get a new main jet. also my buddy said if i remove the air box lid or drill holes in it that it wood fatten it up a little. That sounds backwards to me. Is that true?

mxdad423
03-22-2008, 08:26 PM
The carb is a Kehin Carb so you should have no problem finding main jets if you are a little lean, but if you want to try to do it with the needle you will need to move the clip down on the needle wich will raise the needle (Richer).
On the air box, if you are running lean now and you do an air box mod (Drilling holes) that will give it more air wich will make it even leaner, you can do this mod but will have to richin it up even more. Hope that helps you out. If you have any other questions let me know and I will help you out to the best of my knowledge.

Kevin Smitley
B.A.K. Motorsports

mxdad423
03-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey Musky, I got your Fax, I just tried to call you, sorry I missed your calls earlier I was tied up all day today with Brandon's quad. I put his new engine togeather today and was tuning it in, the dredful jetting process. I will be available for a while yet tonight if you want to give me a call, I left a voicemail on your phone just a little while ago.

Thanks,
Kevin Smitley

musky
03-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah white means lean. Go to the articles section on atv riders there are some good pics on reading plugs. Were you able to find out the main jet size? I called a couple of dealers & they could tell me anything, I was planning on having to change the jet. I'm with you if you drill holes in the airbox that will lean it out even more.

kris32775
03-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys I told my buddy he was nuts when he said that about the airbox. he is probally a little sleep deprived , he has a new born at home. I'll excuse him for now.Does anyone know the stock main jet size? thanks again.

tmfracing
03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Thank You to everyone who posted feedback regarding the upgrades that I mentioned above. I have decided to bite the bullet and purchase the exhaust, cdi, koso delta adjustable clutch, koso posi grip clutch housing, rear clutch spring & a new 32 tooth aluminum rear sprocket.

Lopez
03-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Does anyone have a link or the phone number to MAX RPM? If I am going to only buy 1 mod....what would you suggest I get? I am looking for most bang for the buck. My son is 8 and only been on his new quad a few times (he has been riding from age 3), now he is asking to make it faster. Any impute would be great.

mxdad423
03-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Check your PM's.....

Kevin Smitley

kris32775
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I was looking to find out about the motor on the 90x and it's made by aeon, they also make quads, they have a 125cc overland and it has a cvt transmission. with reverse. sounds like the same motor. any thoughts? Also has any one done a speed test with there gps? The owners manual says unrestricted speed of 30 mph, bull. we have the cdi and pipe and were only getting 24 mph tops. let me know what you guys think. will be calling justin in monday to see if his big bore kit is ready. if not we might be selling. I hate to say it but i'm getting frustrated with this turd. sorry i feel better know.

tmfracing
04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I understand your frustration. You appear to be involved in the racing scene more then we are right now. It appears that 4-stroke 90's run against 2-stroke 90's. If that's the case the 4-stroke's will need huge $$$$ just to be competitive. If I were buying a quad for my son to race I would have opted for either the DRR or the APEX. Their dominating the race season.

When I was shopping for a quad, I was looking for a fun safe low maintenance quad for my 6yr old son to ride in Glamis and out on the trails. As mentioned in a previous post, I live in San Diego CA and the rules are real strict regarding 2-stroke ATV's.

How does the DS90x compare to other stock 90cc 4-stroke's? I would hope it can at least keep up with other stock 4-stroke's. If it cannot then maybe DS90X owners should start a campaign against Can-Am to address this problem.

If their manual states that the ATV's unrestricted speed is 30 m.p.h. should they be held liable if their quad does not reach that speed?

jjd223
04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Here's the Aeon motor with a little help, This is from a Polaris Outlaw 90 which uses the same Aeon motor.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/jjd223/MVC-147F.jpg

kris32775
04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the response guys. It will keep up with other 4 strokes. I was fully aware of the performanc between 2 and 4 stroke,and the money involved. I guess i like to be different. my thought was they can make a trx 90 really quick. why can't i do that to this bike. I know we will loss a little power with the cvt but i should be close. we'll get there but i get impatient some times. I did find a power loss tonight. after this weekend of racing i pulled the plug, looked brand new. problem... we hooked it up to a sniffer at our dealer and it's running about 30 % to lean. i'll call justin and get jets. that should give me a little bit more i hope. The motor in the pic i see a difference in the intake that thing is 3 times the size as whats on our bike. what will the outlaw run stock? I wonder how polaris as there motors built? thanks again guys really appreciate all the help.

azextreme
04-07-2008, 09:29 PM
You guys need to measure the cyl height & the head stud spacing! I'm sure you can find cyl & and race heads but you need the measure (in mm)!

tmfracing
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
According to Hetrick they can make this bike run with a TRX90 motor. It will cost you roughly $3,500.00. They say it's about the same cost as building a TRX 90. It comes down to personal preference shifter or cvt.

azextreme
04-07-2008, 10:19 PM
So that mean there is cly and head out there! What is the stock stroke of this bike??

tmfracing
04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Here are some details:

Engine: 89.5cc 4-Stroke, single, force air cooled, 2 valve

Bore: 49.5

Stroke: 48mm

cyclridr
11-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Dave moyer has finally found a way to make power on these DS90x's At our last race we were running with the 2 strokes and managed a 7th place, out of 16, at Sleepy Hollow on the big track. Not too bad for the kid's first time on the big track. The head was ported and polished, cdi, pipe, intake, fox shocks, and a brand new longer SWING ARM! We will be hanging the new 106cc cylinder and high compression piston next week.
For info Contact Dave Moyer at www.oldskoolracing.com
We are shooting for a win at Motorama in Harrisburg!

DS90XDAD
11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Anyone have any updates on mods?

cyclridr
12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
After 18 months of wrestling with this beast we finally got it competetive and between Kevin and Dawson the Can-am's got 4th and 5th in D6 points. Only one point sepparated 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th. If if weren't for a bad starter on Dawson's and a broken chain on Kevin's we would have gone 2nd thd 3rd behind Travis Wotring.
We now have a starter, high comprssion head and piston with 123cc (Kev's is still 106cc) clutching that works and an ignition system that makes it fly!
Contact Dave www.oldskoolracing.com for full details

TrudeauRacing
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi everyone was just going through this thread and here are a few answers to some questions asked ...in the past.

-Jet size stock is " 80 "

- Grey wire mod ..its only a rev-limiter for use in reverse gear.

After viewing the service manual and the wiring diagram and actually putting tach on it ...it limits the reverse gear engine speed.

Absolutely no change in forward gear Plugged or un plugged.

- We have been very un-lucky with our's after approx 4-5 hours of riding time (stock form) we developped a serious overhating condition.

Its in the shop having a new piston and rings installed and the clutch is being replaced (warranty)

**** NOTE the bike has a sticker claiming 150 lbs max rider weight, actual spec in the service manual is 135 LBS, we believe that the dealership employee's had a bit of fun with our machine before they delivered it ...wich explains the burnt clutch ****

We race in a stock class ( no mods allowed ) the only way we achieve decent performance is with the tuning.

Not only the engine ...but the machine as a whole element.

We repack all the bearings with low friction synthetic grease.

Replace all the brake fluid with DOT4 and eliminate brake drag (the secret is how you bleed the brakes)

We soak the chain in ATF oil and we heat the oil up (loosens up the chain)

And we tune the engine (we are permitted to change jet's and clip position) we change the oil for full synthetic.

We have a speed gun and we will post actual speeds when we have our machine back ...hope its before Christmas 15 days to go !

2008ds90x
02-09-2010, 09:15 PM
We have a DS90X and we are ready to go faster. where do I need to go to get the upgrades, carb,pipe CDI. what else can I do? and How much will it cost to get more out of it. It is stock.

Thank you for your help

jimmyzatv
02-16-2013, 01:12 AM
I had a 2011 DS90X for a few weeks. The first time my son road it for about 1/2 hr we pulled it in the shop put in on the lift and it sat for about 15 min. I started going over it and could touch the head pipe but burnt my hand on the cases. RED FLAGES WENT UP!!!! Sold it and bought hin a Raptor 125. The best thing you and do to this CAN AM is get rid of it.

represent618
03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
I have had one (2011 DS90X) for over a year and have had a few small quirks but nothing mechanical, so far that quad has been rock solid. It always starts and runs all day. My daughter absolutely loves it.

I wish it was a little more advanced and parts were more readily available for them. For example it could benefit from higher end ball joints that were not so stiff (making the steering unusually tight).

I used thread tape on the engine oil plug to stop a leak that I thought was the seal at the kick shaft. I put a hose clamp on the oil vent line on top of the head to keep it from riding up and allowing oil to blow out.

I HIGHLY suggest eliminating the little smog pump piece of junk coming out of the header, when it gets wet it makes the bike stumble bad and wont pull itself until it dries out a minute. Buying an aftermarket full exhaust will also eliminate if you do not want to mig or cap the little port on the OEM header. Far as I can tell - It is there to "improve" the emissions coming out of the silencer, a complete hack. Serves no real purpose.

I also put on Solid Gold Renthal Chain, the OEM was lower grade and stretched quickly, plus solid gold just looks cool.

I plan to buy an upgraded chain-tensioner soon from Hetrick racing similar, the OEM is a little weak for aggressive riding, though it works.

Been running Amsoil 0-40 in the engine and Amsoil gear oil in the CVT.

2008ds90x
03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Hello We kept the DS90x for about another 2 or 3 months. I bought the CDI, Pipe but never got to install them and changed to sync fluids. We ended up selling it and buying an APEX. Best move for the money.

Thank you for your replies.

represent618
03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Still have the pipe and CDI? I will buy them :)

2008ds90x
03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
No I sold them with the ATV. Sorry.