PDA

View Full Version : Scored a 85 ATC250r!!!

Fordtrax
01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Alright guys i just bought (pretty much stole) a 85 Atc 250r and even tho i love these bikes i want to build a fourtrax from the frame up and thought for 600 bux this bike will go along way as a donor for my project.
I plan to let my buddies ride this while im putting together the rest of the parts like frame a-arms steeering stem radiator etc.
Last night i was doing some measurement comparisons of the swingarms on both my 88 trx and this 3 wheeler and from what i can tell they look like they would interchange?

So my question is, will the swingarm from the 3 wheeler bolt up to the fourtrax frame? And if so ? doesnt it matter what year trx frame?

It sure would be nice if i can use it because it still has its original factory gold finish with the pro-link decals and a real nice aftermarket skid plate too!

Another thing i noticed about this bike is that it has the black 85 jug and top cap but the bottom end is a brand new looking gun metal gray? Is there a way of telling if its a 86 atc bottom end or maybe a 86/87 fourtrax bottom end?
It still has the shiny metal serial # tag on it will that tell me anything?

I may just end up riding the dogsnot outta this thing! ( can we say 5th gear wheelies!!!!)lol

So tell me what you think guys!! thanx.........Marc

P.S. I will post pics as soon as i get my camera back from my kids!!

GPracer2500
01-04-2008, 10:16 AM
You don't really want to use an '85 ATC swinger on a project TRX. The '85 swinger uses a different (and slightly inferior) axle carrier. The rear brake arrangement, rear shock, axle, and swingarm linkage parts are different too. Their not different by a lot but enough that replacement parts will need to be '85 instead of the far more common '86+ ATC/TRX.

MossboysRacing
01-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Ditto ^^^ I tried to put a 85 rear end on a 400ex and it too much work trying to find 85 specific parts. A pretty easy swap it the 450r swinger on a 250r, theres a couple threads on that. Use the 85 motor in your 88 frame. Thats the same set up i have. I always liked the short rod motors, they rev a little faster. I also use a lightened flywheel that helps rev too. You could probably just take out the motor and sell the rest of the Atc for 600 and get your money back!

86 Quad R
01-04-2008, 06:13 PM
agee'd. although the '85 swinger will bolt right up. finding replacement parts are a bit harder these days. as mention, the OEM rear axle carrier is a bit on the weak side. especially when you apply the pressures of the trx weight.

if you must..... use the engine and sell the rest to someone that can/will put it to use.

Fordtrax
01-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Listen fellas i bought this thing for 600 bux and I in no way would even think about swapping swingers with my mint 88 R.

I have a complete 85 3 wheeler so what parts would i be chasin down if i have the hole bike ?
As far as the carrier goes it also has a super twin type after market set up .
Im wanting to use every last part i can from this atc and was just wonderin if the swinger would fit a fourtrax?

But thanx for the heads up on other issues!

86 Quad R
01-04-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.planetsand.com/forums/images/graemlins/default_dark/32463768.gif