PDA

View Full Version : Post your pics! Review on what you think!

Honda4lyphe
01-03-2008, 10:51 PM
If anyone has it, or is planning on getting the 700xx please post some pics or tell us when your getting one! This thread is intended for insight on this new beast.

Personally, i think its ugly and bulky, also looks like it would be tippy. But lets face it, reguardless of the looks im expecting this to be a high performance bike! I hope honda doesnt let us down this time..

Maybe if somone gets it and they post pictures of their own instead of looking at the white screened stock honda pictures it will be more appealing to others.

Keep this thread suttle please, no reason to flame. Just get out your opinion :)

mx8
01-05-2008, 07:25 AM
I agree the first time i saw it, i thought it was very ugly and bulky. But i have not saw it in person yet. I saw someone on this sight put a honda xr650 motor in there 400ex frame. I rember that it looked very clean. Even before i saw his post and pic of the xr650 motered 400ex, I thought that would be a great setup. This is only my 2 cents but i think if honda would have done something like that, they would have sold like crazy. Put the xr650 motor in the 400ex, upgrade shocks, new looks, NO IRS! And i think honda would have a top seller.:D

toxicd
01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
i am currently putting an xr650 motor into a 450r frame. greg stuart and nic granlund beat me to the punch, but they used a custom built frame from laegers. i am going to try to do the conversion using all stock equipment except for a suspension upgrade of course.

Honda4lyphe
01-07-2008, 01:43 AM
I agree with both of you.

01-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by mx8
I agree the first time i saw it, i thought it was very ugly and bulky. But i have not saw it in person yet. I saw someone on this sight put a honda xr650 motor in there 400ex frame. I rember that it looked very clean. Even before i saw his post and pic of the xr650 motered 400ex, I thought that would be a great setup. This is only my 2 cents but i think if honda would have done something like that, they would have sold like crazy. Put the xr650 motor in the 400ex, upgrade shocks, new looks, NO IRS! And i think honda would have a top seller.:D

Ya but honda,kawi,suziki,yamaha are all built by retards now with down syndrom they dont no any better so they build quads big as boats that look like they came from space.

:rolleyes: :eek2: :huh :scary: :chinese:

cstepp_660r
01-09-2008, 08:33 PM
i still dont think it looks good just doesnt look right

ScramblerXLE
01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
1) Still think it's ugly, but i thought so about the Outlaw when it came out in '06 and it's grown on me.

2) I like that they built an IRS performance quad, but I wish they would have made a straight-axle too. I LOVE the IRS on my Outlaw 525. It performs great in XC racing and still does a very nice job on the local MX track. People compliment it all the time saying "I didn't think one of those things would be that fast out here!" So I like that Honda is willing to do something different as well.

3) 11" wheels were a bad idea. The Outlaw has a tendancy to scratch it's wheels on the inside because they're just 9"ers from the factory, but that's because the A-arms are very long to give you a full 10" of travel. Basically, I'll take a little scratching for long travel and my choice of race tires. I don't think 11" wheels will be good for trying to mount Maxxis Razr2s or iRazrs or and ITP race tire either, and I doubt any of the big manufacturers will be offering a tire just for this bike.

4) weight scares me. I consider my 525 a Race quad b/c it weights 395lbs w/ everything but fuel. which is less than 20 more lbs than a 450ER or Suzuki LTR (because i'm not sure how they do their "dry" weights), but has more HP and in my opinion better suspension for woods racing. However a 508lb wet weight (i think that's what it was, don't remember) will not be kind at the end of a 2hr XC event.

Overall: I have high hopes for this thing b/c I love my 525 and would like to see someone else be able to do what Polaris has done in creating a nice performance quad w/ IRS. Some things sound great (engine, EFI, travel #'s) but other things are not so hot, (weight, 11" rear wheels). Either way i'd love to ride one or at least read a review, so someone let us know as soon as you get one! LOL

blbraptor
01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Very impressive in person. I saw one at a show in Seattle in December. Believe me, they look much different in person. But I didn't think that they were ugly to begin with, so I may be a bit biased. The dealers supposedly won't have them until April, so it'll be a while before anyone knows what they can really do.

I imagine there must be a very good reason that Honda decided to use an 11" wheel, since it will be hard to find tires for it. From everything that I have read about it, they used this size rim to achieve an "optimal" angle for the a-arms.

To me, it looks like it will be a bad-*** trail quad.

coryatver
01-23-2008, 08:08 PM
3) 11" wheels were a bad idea. The Outlaw has a tendancy to scratch it's wheels on the inside because they're just 9"ers from the factory, but that's because the A-arms are very long to give you a full 10" of travel. Basically, I'll take a little scratching for long travel and my choice of race tires. I don't think 11" wheels will be good for trying to mount Maxxis Razr2s or iRazrs or and ITP race tire either, and I doubt any of the big manufacturers will be offering a tire just for this bike.

they made it 11 inch so they don't have problems like the outlaw. Tire manufactures will be making tires for it.

TRXRacer1
01-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
[B]
Tire manufactures will be making tires for it. Tire manufactures are not going to making a bunch of 11" tires for this machine. There just won't be the demand to justify it. Most likely people will have to change their rim size when they want good tires. Hopefully a 10" will fit, if not you could go to a 12" and have a ton of ute tires to choose from.

305exracer11
01-28-2008, 10:21 PM
i seen you over the weekend, looks like a street bike. it has way to much plastic stuff on it. motors the only cool thing.

pods_BMOC
02-03-2008, 01:29 PM
no effence but the from plastic looks like a butt crack

norton
02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
im sorry but no one is goin to buy that quad

305exracer11
02-06-2008, 11:09 PM
they will sell them,honda always sells..there most be a market for them or they wouldnt have made them.

TRXRacer1
02-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by 305exracer11
they will sell them,honda always sells..there most be a market for them or they wouldnt have made them. I agree but I'm willing to bet that the target audience for this it 40+ year old trail riders. A lot of us don't consider that market and it's growing fast. Here in WI there are now more registered ATV then snowmobiles. Kind of shows where the sport is growing and maybe Honda is on to something. If all I did was state trails I would get one.

kawiefan
02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
thats what i was thinking too, alot of 40+ people would be interested in it

redrider03
02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
I know where I live I could use IRS sometimes. I think they might sell more if they had both options(straight/IRS)

RideRed84
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
We could always hope for a 700R with a straight axle and trimmed down plastics. I would bypass the 450 if honda offered that.

desratt
03-01-2008, 03:28 PM
dunno I wan't more engine specs.. before I would step off my 450. o yea and we're 3 months into 2008 where is this machine? they'll be releasing the 2009 models before ya know it.

norton
03-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Ive thought about it and i came to the comclusion that they are letting gossip go around, see what people have to say and what people say will depict the sale of the machine... most likly they dont want to start makin it untill they know someone wants to buy it

sunco
03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
so who's got a picture?

Hondamaster5505
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by norton
Ive thought about it and i came to the comclusion that they are letting gossip go around, see what people have to say and what people say will depict the sale of the machine... most likly they dont want to start makin it untill they know someone wants to buy it

I highly doubt that. Why would they make a huge deal about it and say they're making it then?

Also, I guess FMF is already making exhausts for a quad that doesnt exist...:rolleyes: lol.

redrider03
03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by sunco
so who's got a picture?
http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=TRX700XX&ModelYear=2008&ModelId=TRX700XX8

redrider03
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
If you go to the gallery, you can check out some other views of it.

z rider2
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
evryone acts like it has an XR650 dirtbike motor in it, but from the looks of it, i think its a modified Rincon engine. does anyone have any engine specs on it yet.at over 500lbs it had better have at least 45rwhp, to keep up with a 525 outlaw.

sunco
03-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanx redrider03. Certainly a different look. Like most things they gotta grow on ya for awhile. I'm just gonna stick w/ my black 07' 450ER. Would like to make a trip to Hatfield McCoy at least once to say I've been there.

04hemiboy
03-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by z rider2
evryone acts like it has an XR650 dirtbike motor in it, but from the looks of it, i think its a modified Rincon engine. does anyone have any engine specs on it yet.at over 500lbs it had better have at least 45rwhp, to keep up with a 525 outlaw.

It is a punched out motor of the 650r. Not the Rincon motor at all.

The motor is bored and stroked compared to the 650R. 102 x 84 vs. 100 x 82.6. The cases will be different due to the center drive and reverse. I am betting that the top end is the same, so swap in a HRC or Hot Cams cam, reprogram the EFI and let 'er rip!

supersick300ex
03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I think it's going to be a B/A qaud, my dad has already ordered his and the shop is throwing in a set of itp's, and he is calling soon to order his fmf he's going all out on this thing for xc can't wait till its here should be here couple weeks! is there any aftermarket company making stuff yet?

krt400ex
03-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by redrider03
http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=TRX700XX&ModelYear=2008&ModelId=TRX700XX8

it bugs me that they put fully adjustable shocks on the back but not on the front...thats lame IMO

red_rider_069
03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by bajaracer21
Ya but honda,kawi,suziki,yamaha are all built by retards now with down syndrom they dont no any better so they build quads big as boats that look like they came from space.

:rolleyes: :eek2: :huh :scary: :chinese: whats that have to do with quads? who cares what they look like as long as they rip :D

red_rider_069
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by bajaracer21

:rolleyes: :eek2: :huh :scary: :chinese: whats that have to do with quads? who cares what they look like as long as they rip :D

liledg
04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by RideRed84
We could always hope for a 700R with a straight axle and trimmed down plastics. I would bypass the 450 if honda offered that. why do you want a axel insted of IRS? just asking.

desratt
04-29-2008, 06:22 PM
too much weight, too many moving parts, too much stuff to go wrong, with the u joints and such you have more powertrain power loss. ect

supersick300ex
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by liledg
why do you want a axel insted of IRS? just asking.

to be able to slide in corners, and not have 11 inch diam. wheels yeah that sucks for buying aftermarket tires and rims

liledg
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
ok got it but that what the trx450r is for right?

red_rider_069
04-30-2008, 11:03 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk220/red_rider_069/maride.jpg

krt400ex
05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by pods_BMOC
no effence but the from plastic looks like a butt crack

a really big butt crack from a fat woman, bent over and touching her toes...lmao

525 Outlaw Dude
05-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Okey i cant stand hearing you guess any more!!!, my outlaw 525irs power slides around corners just like a sa quad. The benefits are you get to ride all the time without choosing the only way you can make it in trails, ect! give honda a break, and just trust them.

05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I finally got to the dealer today and I checked out all the new Honda models and I have to say the 700XX is extremely nice. It doesnt feel big and bulky when you sit on it, it looks really good in person, feels comfortable when sitting on it. From the feeling of rockying it and pushing down the suspension seems alright. I would deffinately buy 1 if I had the cash and I wanted another toy.

scuzz
05-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Got mine today!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7057.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7058.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7059.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7061.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7062.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7064.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7065.jpg

It's only been rode in the parking lot. (cry)

Tomorrow it get's dirty!

rollie
05-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I sat on one today, it felt like a utility quad IMO, maybe a little heavier though. haha just joking but it was realllly heavy, alot of plastic that wasn't needed, from the front it looks horrible i think, the seat is huuuge, shocks seemed wayy to stiff (looked like they had alot of travel though i will say that), and the 11 inch rim idea is dumb IMO, Ìf this bike had alot less plastic and a swing-arm/soild axle, it would be a badass machine, of course this is comming from an MX racer though

blbraptor
05-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I don't see how you could possibly think that it felt like a ute. The XX is smaller than my 03' Raptor. I would agree that they have a little too much plastic on them. I think it looks cool, but it is going to get trashed pretty easily....

05-31-2008, 09:59 PM
ah i want 1 so bad after seeing it in person and sitting on it.

JBacon
07-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Worst part is that lower front plastic, get rid of that junk, and she will be really good.;)

blbraptor
07-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by rollie
I sat on one today, it felt like a utility quad IMO, maybe a little heavier though. haha just joking but it was realllly heavy, alot of plastic that wasn't needed, from the front it looks horrible i think, the seat is huuuge, shocks seemed wayy to stiff (looked like they had alot of travel though i will say that), and the 11 inch rim idea is dumb IMO, Ìf this bike had alot less plastic and a swing-arm/soild axle, it would be a badass machine, of course this is comming from an MX racer though

The 11-inch rim had a purpose, and after riding an Outlaw, I must say that the XX handles much better. The 11-inch rim enabled the a-arms to be pushed out further into the rim. If you look at a XX and an Outlaw side by side from the back, the XX looks like it has more ground clearance and is much wider, when it really isn't. The XX is a much more stable platform. And yes, I own an XX, and have ridden an Outlaw several times, even back to back with my XX.

streetx
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by blbraptor
The 11-inch rim had a purpose, and after riding an Outlaw, I must say that the XX handles much better. The 11-inch rim enabled the a-arms to be pushed out further into the rim. If you look at a XX and an Outlaw side by side from the back, the XX looks like it has more ground clearance and is much wider, when it really isn't. The XX is a much more stable platform. And yes, I own an XX, and have ridden an Outlaw several times, even back to back with my XX.

Give us some pics...................pleeeease!!!

GE4x4
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
The 11-inch rim had a purpose, and after riding an Outlaw, I must say that the XX handles much better.

That's a pretty bold statement considering the XX is over 60lbs heavier, sit's higher and is narrower then the Outlaw. Those dimension don't rave great handeling. I've read every review of the XX and handeling wasn't a thing they braged about. In fact AVTsport just did a big bore shootout with the Raptor just beating the Outlaw IRS with the KTM in 3rd with the XX in 4th. Again, handeling was something the XX needed more according to the review. Plus, I would bet the rim on the Outlaw are wider then the XX thus making your other statement not accurate either.

D Bergstrom
07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
That's a pretty bold statement considering the XX is over 60lbs heavier, sit's higher and is narrower then the Outlaw. Those dimension don't rave great handeling. I've read every review of the XX and handeling wasn't a thing they braged about. In fact AVTsport just did a big bore shootout with the Raptor just beating the Outlaw IRS with the KTM in 3rd with the XX in 4th. Again, handeling was something the XX needed more according to the review. Plus, I would bet the rim on the Outlaw are wider then the XX thus making your other statement not accurate either.

Well, he did say he rode both and liked the XX better, can he not have his own opinion? Maybe for HIS riding style the XX does work better. Have you ridden both? What is YOUR opinion?

As far as the wheels, who mentioned anything about width? The 11" measurement refers to diameter, not width. They went with a 11" wheel to give more clearance/better geometry for the rear a-arms.

Doug

blbraptor
07-02-2008, 08:08 AM

Bold statement? No, MY opinion as a person that has ridden both. The XX stays inline, and is very stable on the trail, whereas the Outlaw wanders a lot. The weight is not noticeable to me. I will say that the XX pushes more in the corners, but I think some of that can be attributed to the front tires. The height difference is about 1-inch at the seat, and I think you are wrong about the width too. If I was going to buy a quad based on the magazines reviews, I would still have a Raptor. After the ride I took this weekend, I am so glad I did NOT buy another Raptor. I've read them all too, and I think that the expectations were very high for the XX as they should have been, but they seem to be comparing it mostly to SRA machines like the Raptor. It doesn't seem to me that the testers have spent a lot of time on IRS sport quads. The XX is not a machine that anyone can just jump on and ride it like a pro, it requires a few "tweaks" in your typical riding style. The first weekend out on mine, I was not sure of how I liked it. But after I got used to it's handling characteristics, I could ride it just as fast as my Raptor on the trails. I am very happy with it, and I would say that it would make an awesome quad for someone who rides trails most of the time.

GE4x4
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
There no doubt a IRS takes a bit to learn over a SRA and like you said, most shootout riders are SRA guys. But I also race a Outlaw and IMHO they handle very well. I have no idea what your talking about as far as wondering on the trail and I have been racing the Outlaw irs since it came out in 06 and have never felt any wondering on trails. In fact I find many can't even keep up on the trails. And the atvsport shootout had both IRS quads to compare and they allmost gave the Outlaw the win, but even they said many of the test riders have not even ran a irs, so that just shows how good the Outlaw is that it came close to winning. As far as width goes, the Outlaw is 47.5" wide and I believe the XX is narrower.

Also, I don't understand why Honda could not put at least 10" rear wheels with 4/110 bolt pattern. If Polaris can make a irs less then 400lbs and have the same travel with 9" wheels and 20" tires, then Honda should be able to. No one makes 11" rear wheels with a 4/144 bolt pattern unless you buy a 6" wide front wheel.:confused:

blbraptor
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, I was comparing the two after riding them back to back, albiet all day on mine and then 15 minutes on the Outlaw. It seemed to wander quite a bit under acceleration, or at least pull to one side. And the Outlaw DOES handle pretty good, I was just comparing it to the XX. You are right, the Outlaw is 1.6" wider than the XX, but if you sat them side by side and looked at them, the XX looks wider, and I think it's due to the angles of the a-arms and shocks (the Outlaw is .7" shorter at the seat). As far as someone making an 11-inch rim, I don't care that much as long as someone makes a tire for it. Apparently Maxxis is already working on one, so you'd imagine ITP would be as well. It is strange that they would not go with a conventional sized rim, so obviously there was a very good reason for it.

And isn't the Outlaw the same machine as two years ago, with a different (and much better) motor? The mags weren't all that enamored with it when it came out either. Funny how things changed.

GE4x4
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I had the 06 with the 500 in it and it did well. They did some very nice upgrades when the put the 525 in. Besides the engine, dual caliper brakes were added, 3.9 gal tank, hydraulic clutch, and needle bearings when they used bushings on the 06. They did a few more for 08 with front wheel bearings and better seat latch. And I hear 09 will have a different look. There were a few bugs, but nothing major. I'm just glad another manufactor came out with one as this will help support aftermarket mods. I like the 700xx, but I'm still confused on the rear wheels and tires.

Plus I think the reason why the XX looks wider in the rear, the rims are narrower and so are the tires. So the gap between the inside of the XX is wider, thus making it look wider. My rear lower a-arms are 17" from bolt to bolt, and the uppers are just under 16". And by the rear picks, it looks like the frame is wider on the XX, thus I would bet your a-arms are shorter.

blbraptor
07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Well you certainly know your *****! I wasn't bad mouthing the Outlaw at all, in fact I had my XX ordered, and when all the bad initial reviews came out, I almost pulled the trigger on a 525 Outlaw. But I waited it out. That 525 engine is a screamer.

I am very glad that Honda decided to go the IRS route on this machine. I think if more people got to ride one (a sport quad with IRS) for a weekend or two, they would be sold on them too, at least as a trail machine.

So a new look for the Outlaw in 09'? Is it going to be a complete overhaul of the plastic design?

GE4x4
07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I hear a few upgrades, but mostly a new look. I think they need it. The Outlaw looked very close to the Pred, and that look has been around since 03. I also heard the pro steering will be gone and it will be just like the other sport quads. This is to save some weight. But this might be only on the 450. There big news is a all new 4x4 to be more of a racer.

troybilt
07-03-2008, 07:24 AM
I've been going back and forth for awhile now on which one I'd rather have. I've never been on an IRS machine, (at least HP), plenty of 4x4's. This is great information from real guys that are not magazine test riders. Right now leaning towards the 700XX, but you just mentioned a newly designed (appearance-wise outlaw) might wait to see what that is all about.

My thoughts on the 11" wheel. For what its worth. These are just my thoughts being an engineer for a fortune 50 company and hobby designing a few long travel sand cars. These are just some ideas of what the Honda engineers might have been thinking going for the 11" wheel. I find it hard to believe that they would just throw an 11" wheel knowing that the aftermarket would take a while to catch up, ...if there was no suspension performance benefits. (But I've been wrong before...lol)

1.) can you tell if the shock is mounted farther out on the bottom aarm bw. the outlaw or XX? The 11" wheel would help for clearance bw. the shock and wheel at the height of its travel. The farther out the mounting point the less progressive the travel, but longer shock would be needed.

2.) unsprung weight, same idea as the Can-am 450. The less unsprung weight the faster a suspension can react or respond to changes in acceleration regarding the suspension (up and down).

Again, thanks for the debate.

GE4x4
07-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
I've been going back and forth for awhile now on which one I'd rather have. I've never been on an IRS machine, (at least HP), plenty of 4x4's. This is great information from real guys that are not magazine test riders. Right now leaning towards the 700XX, but you just mentioned a newly designed (appearance-wise outlaw) might wait to see what that is all about.

My thoughts on the 11" wheel. For what its worth. These are just my thoughts being an engineer for a fortune 50 company and hobby designing a few long travel sand cars. These are just some ideas of what the Honda engineers might have been thinking going for the 11" wheel. I find it hard to believe that they would just throw an 11" wheel knowing that the aftermarket would take a while to catch up, ...if there was no suspension performance benefits. (But I've been wrong before...lol)

1.) can you tell if the shock is mounted farther out on the bottom aarm bw. the outlaw or XX? The 11" wheel would help for clearance bw. the shock and wheel at the height of its travel. The farther out the mounting point the less progressive the travel, but longer shock would be needed.

2.) unsprung weight, same idea as the Can-am 450. The less unsprung weight the faster a suspension can react or respond to changes in acceleration regarding the suspension (up and down).

Again, thanks for the debate.

I would bet the 11" wheels and 22" tires weigh more then Polaris 9" wheels and 20" tires. Plus Polaris uses forged aluminum lower and upper a-arms and aluminum body shocks. The Outlaw rear unsprung is about as light as you can get. Plus, if Honda does do that for unsprung weight and didn't just through this together, then why the 4/144 rear bolt pattern. They could of easily went 4/110 then it gives the rider the option for different rims.

troybilt
07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I would bet the 11" wheels and 22" tires weigh more then Polaris 9" wheels and 20" tires. Plus Polaris uses forged aluminum lower and upper a-arms and aluminum body shocks. The Outlaw rear unsprung is about as light as you can get. Plus, if Honda does do that for unsprung weight and didn't just through this together, then why the 4/144 rear bolt pattern. They could of easily went 4/110 then it gives the rider the option for different rims.

The unsprung weight has alot to do with the cg location of the mass from the pivot point of the lower arm. the closer to that point the better, not always the total mass, albeit the the lower that is the better too. Not comparing just asking, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Polaris might have a patent or two that honda had to work around. I've been there before.

Just food for thought, that's all. I haven't studied the designs as much as you all have, thought you might be able to provide some information to answer these questions.

The 4X144 argument could be made with polaris too, why the hell is the rzr 4x156 and 3/8-26 pitch wheel studs...!!! no one on the planet except for polaris has a 3/8-26 wheel stud. you wanna know how are it is to find someone that makes a similar stud for designing wheel spacers... FYI, 3/8 is 9.525mm, why not use 10mm, like everyone else... similar argument. that's all.

Moral. Who knows why.... lol!

blbraptor
07-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Ok, you guys are getting WAY to scientific now. If you are contemplating buying an Outlaw or an XX, do yourself a favor and look at them both before you decide. Both will make great trail quads. I personally would go with the Honda, but that's just me! And no, I am not a "Honda" guy, I had a Raptor for 5 years. This is the first Honda I have owned.

troybilt
07-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I've looked at the Outlaw quite a bit, actually. There is a dealer on my way home from work that I stop and I check from time to time. The closest honda dealer is a good hour away so I haven't had the chance to check out the 700xx in person.... hence why I'm on this forum so much.

Scientific, yeah I'm a engi-nerd. I was trying to justify in my head why Honda opted for the 11" wheel. I'm thinking that for the suspension design they have the 11" wheel was the best option for performance of their suspension design, and those performance improvements were good enough to warrant the head aches in the aftermarket world. Whether you like Honda or not, they don't F things up too much.

Not trying to say that one design is better than the other, I think that question is better answered when you put the tires on the dirt and then the its personal preference as much as anything. Things can look great on paper, but not perform well and vice versa.

As far as owning one, I would have already if I wasn't paying for a honeymoon! ...and I just bought a rzr for the future wife and I to ride together. I think I'll see what the 09 700 and 09 Outlaw have to offer, if any improvements.

scuzz
07-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I thnk the reason for the funky 11" wheels is due to the width of the lower "A" arms. 10" wheels are a no-go. If the bolts were a little shorter, even an inch (sorry for the obvious "duh") would fit a 10" rim.

I think they could have done better and made it fit a 10" rim, but I'm no engineer.

Now, on to other things...

I've got about 24 hours of seat time on my now and I have a few things that I like and dislike about it.

Power - it's great and responsive, although I have had it bog and "pop" through the intake when I tried to instantly WOT under a load. Grrrr

Gearing - I still think that one tooth lower on the front sprocket would make it a lot better. I plan to get a 13 tooth front sprocket as soon as I can. (which, for those of you that do not know, is the same as a 450r.)

Front Rotors - Why didn't the Honduh engineers put some sort of mud cover for the rotors?!?!? Everytime I go through any sort of mud I have to grab my brakes so that I adjust them down due to the dirt and debris eating away at my pads.

Rear Air Filter Bracket - Again, why did the Honda engineers think that a lock-tight-ed phillips screw inside of a tight airbox was a good idea. Stripped screw anyone? When I get that piece-o-crap out it'll be replaced with a bolt.

Front Fenders - don't keep the mud out your face. They do however keep the Sunlight off of the top of the swingarms. :-\

Header heat shield - keeps losing bolts.

Reverse - Is awkward and a PITA to get to in technical climbs or spots where you need to keep both hands on the bars.

Sway bar - Is WAY too soft. Body roll is no fun and makes it feel tippy.

Steep Climbs - this thing does great on those dune climbs. I was REALLY impressed with the ease it went up. It sucks at sand drags, but I believe that may be due to the rims and tires that I have and a out-of-center wheels.

This thing is begging for exhaust and an air filter. (and of course re-mapping the fuel curve)

rid3r3d33
07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Personally i think it is raw and that i love everything about it except its as big as a garbage truck. They need to make a 700xx only lighter. Consider catching massive air in a garbage truck. Didn't think so. Everything else is great. Looks good, lots of power. No complaints except for that.

scuzz
07-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by rid3r3d33
Personally i think it is raw and that i love everything about it except its as big as a garbage truck. They need to make a 700xx only lighter. Consider catching massive air in a garbage truck. Didn't think so. Everything else is great. Looks good, lots of power. No complaints except for that.

So, you have one?

Honda4lyphe
07-10-2008, 08:28 AM
A buddy of mine just got his, its black with ITP rims and HD hole shots in the rear and razr in the front.

First thing was when i looked at it, it really didnt look horrible at all, i think the rear end gets me the most because it just doesnt look like a sports quad.

I sat on it, seat was real comfertable and everything felt fine. And i had the pleasre of riding it on his track..

Your talking to a guy who rides a 400ex normally. The entire time i was smileing, i felt comfertable with its power and handeling right away because its so forgiving. It took jumps perfectly..i cannot explain it, i was just blown away, tight corners etc, not a problem, wanna climb a hill? have at it. Its supposed to be really heavy, i never had a problem trying to do a wheelie and i could still do a roost and sling it around as easily as i can with my 400ex. It is kinda beefy in apperence, but once your actually on it, its a totally different story. Thats my small personal review from trying one out, anyone else have simular gasping moments on it?

blbraptor
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I would completely agree with you in that it certainly looks big, but does not feel big at all when you ride it. I have never noticed the weight of it.

Where in the hell did your "buddy" get ITP's for the rear of the XX? Nobody is making an 11-inch rim or tire for it yet.

vtt
07-12-2008, 08:23 AM
GE4X4, you know your Shi...!

yfzrider310
07-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Honda4lyphe
A buddy of mine just got his, its black with ITP rims and HD hole shots in the rear and razr in the front.

Who is this buddy?:huh

07-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider310
Who is this buddy?:huh

santa clause lol

sheriff525
07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, I was comparing the two after riding them back to back, albiet all day on mine and then 15 minutes on the Outlaw. It seemed to wander quite a bit under acceleration, or at least pull to one side.

This happens when the tire presures are different in both tires. Trust me....wheelies don't go far with one flater than the other.

TRX450R2
07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Mines arriving hopefully in 2 weeks! YAY!

04hemiboy
07-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R2
Mines arriving hopefully in 2 weeks! YAY!

You'll absolutely love it. It's a blast.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/IMG_0861.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/IMG_0863.jpg

TRX450R2
07-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 04hemiboy
You'll absolutely love it. It's a blast.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/IMG_0861.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/IMG_0863.jpg

Love the look of that RENEGADE!

04hemiboy
07-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R2
Love the look of that RENEGADE!

Thanks. It's my baby.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/IMG_0526.jpg

TRX450R2
07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Me on my Baby till the 700XX arrives!

BTwrestle04
07-30-2008, 09:18 AM
04hemiboy, where are those pictures of the quads near the lake taken?

04hemiboy
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by BTwrestle04
04hemiboy, where are those pictures of the quads near the lake taken?

In Quebec Canada