PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swingarm bearing troubles

cards187
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
i am having trouble getting the old swingarm bearings out of my 400ex. i have tried pb blaster and heat. any suggestions? this was one where the swingarm bolt was stuck and had to be cut out. i see that this is a common problem. took it to my local cycle shop and they got it out for 40 bucks. 30 bucks for new bolt and 40 for new bearings. what a headache. i just bought a new used motor and i can't put it on until i get the new swingarm bearings in, so if any1 has any tips, please let me know asap. thanks.

440challenger
01-03-2008, 05:55 PM
take a carbide bur and grind the inside of the bearing race until you hit the alum swing arm. Get a pick,screw driver punch,whichever and cave the race in and hammer out.

duey
01-04-2008, 10:31 AM
The first thing I would try using is an old socket and hammer trick. Find the correct size socket making sure it will fit into the swingarm and also fit flush with the outside of the bearing lip. You don't want the socket to slip through the bearing. Try tapping them out that way. I recommend cleaning the area around the bearings inside the swingarm and even possible spraying with pb blaster this way when you get the bearings moving it will make them slide out easier. If this does not work, use a dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel and make a cut through the old bearings, making sure you don't cut into the swingarm material. TAKE YOUR TIME! Once you've made the cut, you can use a chisel and hammer to lift and pry them out. When you put the new ones in, make sure you apply a small amount of grease to the swingarm and/or outside of bearing. Good luck!

mbx5
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Thats how I got mine out...

I actually had to plasma cut my old frame apart and wreck the frame because the swingarm bolt was so fused in. It took a press to ge the bolt out of the engine block... I think it was around 20 tons of pressure. I thought I was going to break the engine case.