PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Rear Fenders

EXinMB
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Ok i can't be the only one that is bothered by this. Its not that big of a deal but every time you go to remove your seat to clean your filter on the 400ex you have to take the fenders off with the seat. Ive already done a search and found nothing but I know people have done it. I wan to make my rear fenders solid mounted and have a removeable seat like on the 450r and basicall every other quad out there other than the 400ex and 250r.

If there's anyone that's already done this i would appreciate some tips to help me along the way. Its kind of a pain to put the seat on while making sure the fenders don't hit the battery but i don't wanna fab or buy an airbox to hold the batry.

So if anyone's solid mounted their fenders could you post some pics and maybe a little how to that would be awesome.
also if anyone has tips on how to keep the seat from comming loose to. I had to weld a bolt where the pin is that the seat latches onto cuz it broke and now my seat is loose and rattles

sorry for the long post

maxfior
01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I hear ya brother! I HATE removing the seat / fenders to clean the air filter... And then when you have to line the seat up with the tank... oh man, unless I'm just not doing something right, it's really a pain to get things to line up just so. I'm sure that's why they made just the seat removable in 2008. Oh well.

Max

glamiskid395
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
i find it easy to take the seat on and off! lol
but then again i took the bolt off the tank that holds the front of the seat down, but thats what your arse is for.
i;ve never had a problem with the seat coming off while riding.

maxfior
01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
but then again i took the bolt off the tank that holds the front of the seat down, but thats what your arse is for.

LOL! yeah, that'll make it easy to take on and off... ha! :)

Max

01-03-2008, 02:59 PM
man i love having a quad with the rear fender that come off with the seat. Its o much easier. when I 1st got the 400ex it seemed tricky to get it on right but after a few times you could do it with your eyes closed. Its so much easier to work on stuff with the fenders that attach to the seat. The 2008 they changed it so you only take your seat off

tman12345
01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
i find it pretty easy to do on mine, but others i'va had to take them off seem a little harder. i dunno why.

EXinMB
01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
WELL IM USED TO IT NOW SO I DO HAVE A TECHNIQUE DOWN THAT HELPS BUT I HAD THAT PIN WHERE IT LATCHES ON, THAT BROKE AND RODE THRU WHOOPS AND MY SEAT AND FENDERS STAYED AND THEN I TRIED SITTING THRU A CORNER, NOT FUN.

I JUST THOT IT WOULD BE SOMETHIN DIFFERENT ON THE EX IF I COULD DO THAT. O WELL ITS NOT THAT HARD TO TAKE FENDERS OFF WITH THE SEAT ANYWAY

gcart2
01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
thats weird becuzz i prefer the fenders to come off. its so much easier to work on.

JOEX
01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
thats weird becuzz i prefer the fenders to come off. its so much easier to work on.
Me too...

Exrider434
01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by gcart2

same here, although i wouldnt mind just the seat coming off if it wasnt hard to get the plastics off as well

klutch
01-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah my spring broke on the latch so mine tend to pop off while hitting whoops lol

tar
01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Like others said I like my plastic coming off with the seat it makes everything 2x eaasier..and once you get the hang of puttin it back on you will appreciate it

AnDy7
01-04-2008, 07:29 PM
the only problem i have is putting them back on because of the damn battery but thats soemthing ill have to live with because im not going to move it.. hehe

Hondamaster5505
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
i wish they made it so that the seat latches to the fenders, and the fenders latch to the quad.

So if you just wanna get under the seat, you undo the seat latch. But if your doing a major repair, you can still take it off all in one piece like stock.

sniff sniff:huh :confused: i smell a project coming on:devil:

jmccary
01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm in the apparent minority here who doesn't like them. If anyone runs across a post that tells how to mount the new 2008 rear seat and fenders to a 2005, please pass it on. The new design looks like it won't get so loaded down with mud that it causes them to crack with repeated landings. I'm on my 2nd set so far simply because they are so big and floppy that when they get loaded down with mud, they bend and bounce and eventually crack.

400ex28
01-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Suck it up.

byrdman
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
just remoce the fenders from the seat and self tap them to your frame and you can pull your seat off independantly from the fenders.