PDA

View Full Version : Starting Trouble And Idling Trouble

ditchdigger
01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I'M HAVING TROUBLE getting my 450r started after a sitting for awhile. any tricks that maybe i should know of? Also whats the proper way to warm this machine up the fn dealer never told me squat. at one point the dang pipe turned red when i was warming it up. it won't run with out the choke on right away when i start it. then it idles so high with the choke on. any suggestions. i never had these issues when i owned a yamaha.
thanks

MAD450r
01-05-2008, 01:31 PM
They are very cold blooded is all. I have had mine for 4 years now and its always done that.

If i let it sit for over a month its very hard to start. I usually go out and give it 4-5 kicks then walk away for a few minutes then I go back with full choke it will usually start aftrer a kicks the second time I try. IF I dont give it a break it can sometimes take 10+ kicks if I dont give it a chance to sit.

Once it starts I then let it idle high for a minute or so then I start moving a bit then I cna remove the choke. If I dont start riding before removing the choke it usually stalls :(

bloodmoney23
01-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I dont know if yall are just unlucky or what. My bike (05) since i have had it has started on 1st or 2nd kick no matter what since I owned it. Unless i stand it straight up and down and fills the airbox with gas. My guess is your jetting may be off a little. Take it to the dealer and tell them it runs like *** and they have to fix it.

ditchdigger
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
thats what i'm goint to have to do is bring it in. it sucks when the raptor just toys with me. it shouldn't be like that. i have to at least beat him on the river once this year. thanks for the info

trx450er1234
01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
have you had the valves checked i have an 07 and it did the same thing to me it was the valves

smithn1683
01-07-2008, 08:12 AM
they are a huge biznagle to start when it is cold out 40 and blow is useually when the problems start. Mine started better when my valves where out of spec, now they are dead on and I cant get it to kick over. Mine did start on a cold day and ran very very lean like you said. Red pipe and it had trouble staying on, if you have your lid off try covering it again or you can always rejet it.

ditchdigger
01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by trx450er1234
have you had the valves checked i have an 07 and it did the same thing to me it was the valves

shouldn't they have done that when they sold the damn thing to me? i only have maybe 5 tanks ran through it.

j_cyrus3
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I dont know if its a trick or anything, i've heard people say not to do it but this is how I start mine if I haven't started it in a while.

Turn gas on( I always turn mine off )

Push throttle 3 times.

Full choke

Starts on 2 or 3rd kick EVERY time.

I usually let it run for about 3-4 minutes, then take off. Just my remedy, works on my quad.

Pojo450r
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
i use same method works every time

Sjorge450R
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
well my 05 was having troubles idling right before i tore the whole quad apart for some PC.

Last night i checked the valves and the intake were both out of adjustment. The on e was only out one shim size, the other by 2. I am 95% sure this was my problem cause it was idling like the choke was stuck on.

BlackTrx440ex
01-08-2008, 06:50 PM
with my 05 it would only start with the choke on summmer or winter, but after i get it started first time of the day it will start the rest of the day without the choke....