PDA

View Full Version : Who is the GURU on Trx250r/85cc Hybrid

waterdog3
01-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Wanting to build my 13 yr old daughter an ATV/hybrid so she can race in the 90cc Mod, class. She is 5'6 and still growing, so the little 90cc ATV's are really just to small for her. Is the 1986 Trx250r a good canidate for a 85cc mod. OR is there a better frame that will accept the 85cc motor eaiser? I am wanting to use a KX85 motor because of the smoother power delivery.
Can anyone who has done a conversion like this give me some pointers. As a marrer of fact ANY info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

aasco90
01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
this is my 10 yearolds laeger 250r / 85cc hybrid , i did'nt cut any mounts just added mounts , we're running 13-51 gearing and is working out good but here in the west at the w.o.r.c.s. series the class is 70cc to 125cc shifter soooo we're going to put in a cr125 motor "power valve", you mite want to check with your racing organization to see if they allow hybrids.

aasco90
01-03-2008, 05:48 PM
the houser/axis long travel gave my son confidence in jumping big this quad was the next step for him next will be the 125 motor.

Glamis400ex
01-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Talk to QuadJunkies. She built an sick 85cc and put it in a blaster frame. Absolutely awesome....check her out.

markvette
01-04-2008, 08:52 AM
you will probably get more responses to this over in the mini section. quadjunkies actually bought the quad already built but i know they basically rebuilt it from the ground up.

Mark

FASTDAD-77
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
The 250R and 300EX are both really good frames to use. Personally and this is just an opinion, I wouldn't use a Blaster. Way back in 1988 I started racing on a Blaster at age 13 and the next year we bought a 250X to race also. We latter put the motor in a 250R frame. The Blaster was much shorter and narrower with a taller seat height and made it much harder to handle and jump than the Honda's. I had a pretty highly modified Blaster and two 250X's at the time, One of the Honda's was kept stock just to trail ride and I could turn a faster lap time on the stock 250X than the Blaster because it was such easier to race. The Blaster was a much faster machine in a drag race than my stock 250X but I could never make it handle, turn, jump and deffenently land like the Hondas. A kid can learn to race just about anything but the Honda's in my opinion seemed to be more at home on the rack. There is a guy, RAWDAWG635 over in the mini forums that done this conversion using a 300EX and a CR85 motor. A 250R may be pretty hard to come by, but old 250X and 300EX's are still around.

waterdog3
01-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys for the info......went over to the mini forum and not much there on a search for "hybrid". I think i will hold out for a good used 250r frame. went ahead and got the motor KX85. We have plenty of time befor the races start.

aasco90
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM
waterdog, on my sons 250r if you look closely it had a + 1 forward ster stem that i cut and turned 180 so its -1 back now closer to him and the foot pegs are up 1 and forward 1 he sits on it just like he sat on his apex 90, look at his posture jumping dont look at the size of the quad but the fit to him and you can use this quad to move up,125cc then 250four stroke classes soon to come, could you imagine this quad with a 250 four stoke motor:D
http://www.kidsonquads.com/custom.php you can talk to this guy he can build you a frame, i say do it youll love it.

aaamx
01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
we got a blaster with a rm 85 motor. its been good but we need to do something with the rear to get more and smoother suspension travel. as far as turning we have the dimiond j customs widening kit and it made it turn like it was on rails. we now sit 48 inches wide up front. i will try and get some pics up here soon.

QuadJunkies
01-12-2008, 09:42 PM
WE have had great results from the Blaster Hybrid,but have to agree on the 250r chassis... IF its an option to get, I would suggest that .The Honda chassis has some of the best ergonimics still to date. They just handle so well...!!
We on the other hand have had a SUPER handling Blaster. Most of the parts on it are EX conversion and it handles very well.Getting done the proper motor work to withstand the quads added weight is another good thing to think about when doing a Hybrid build for a stronger motor.
aasco90 brings up a good point on checking with your series to make sure it a quad that had a class to run in. I personally think if we are pulling in enough riders for WORCS,were at a time now where the classes needs to be split .
I cant see a 70cc being competitive with a 125cc with two good riders.LOL
We thought about putting a 125 in Kelseys, but we just couldnt justify it if shes not running the motor shes got to its full potential.Its got alot of power ,she just needs to find it .I also dont know how well the frame would do longevitiy wise in our blaster frame... MY Son will most likely get this shifter next season, so we feared a 125 would do some damage to the only chassis we have right now.
Troy just spent the entire day custom fitting a new pipe!! Its looks sooo much better than the other one she had!
Her pipe from last season REALLY took some abuse and was starting to crack everywhere.. We now have a FMF pipe (and one for the back up motor) the silencer will now be spark arrested and 94-96db. so sound a spark for the Cali. race will not be an issue-WHEW! It should have ALOT more bottom end hit than it had before. Her new race motor should be ready anytime now . I think the biggest issue we might face this year is Kelsey actually put on a litlte weight this winter,And her shocks may need to be re-done- I sure hope not! lol
Ill have to post some updated picks with the new pipe and Monster Seat Cover when shes all clean .I LOVE to see all the Hybrid builds people do,they are all so cool!!

aasco90-are ya'll running the whole series this year? Are you ready for Phoenix?
Were NOT!
:o :p LOL
If so,See ya there and have a safe trip! :)
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/75798625.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/75798632.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/75798627.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/75798633.jpg

aasco90
01-13-2008, 09:09 PM
hi tina, no we're not going to be able to do all the worcs but we will do the close ones to get nate ready for next year, he just turned 10 so we'll give him one more year , I do like that air box on your blaster got to make one for nates, have you seen the apex 250 yeat? here it is would be awsome for your daughter.

QuadJunkies
01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I did see that !
Thats a sweet quad!:cool:

yfzrider45
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey you can plant the 85cc motor in a blaster frame.....i have a grey one for sale off my 03....its in very good shape n comes with a title also....i am only asking 150 SHIPPED anywhere U.S.

QuadJunkies
01-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
Hey you can plant the 85cc motor in a blaster frame.....i have a grey one for sale off my 03....its in very good shape n comes with a title also....i am only asking 150 SHIPPED anywhere U.S.
I might have to buy that :eek2:
Can you get with me in a couple weeks if you dont sell it by then ?
I have to travel to Arizona for WORCS series .

TEXWS6
01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Just wondering why you all are going with 2 strokes? I thought the 150R was gonna replace the CR85 platform.

Just trying to get clear on the subject, trying to find my daughter a 90mod.

thanks,

Kelly

QuadJunkies
01-20-2008, 10:31 PM
For us ,our resources tell us that it still produces better power...its cheap, and easy to fix! Its just our personal choice.
You can get a ton of power out of the 85 for not spending a ton of money.
When my kids are ready to move up to a full sized quad, they will be on 4 strokes.
I seen there is a 150 Hybrid up for sale here.

TEXWS6
01-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
For us ,our resources tell us that it still produces better power...its cheap, and easy to fix! Its just our personal choice.
You can get a ton of power out of the 85 for not spending a ton of money.
When my kids are ready to move up to a full sized quad, they will be on 4 strokes.
I seen there is a 150 Hybrid up for sale here.

I can REALLY understand the cheap part. I don't know alot about the 90mod's which is why I was asking.

We are currently running a JB TRX125, and my daughter really wants to stay on a 4 stroke, but man, there are some killer deals on the 2 stroke 90mods right now.

Any other input on which avenue to go down?

thanks,

Kelly

QuadJunkies
01-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by TEXWS6
I can REALLY understand the cheap part. I don't know alot about the 90mod's which is why I was asking.

We are currently running a JB TRX125, and my daughter really wants to stay on a 4 stroke, but man, there are some killer deals on the 2 stroke 90mods right now.

Any other input on which avenue to go down?

thanks,

Kelly
If shes already used to that 4 stroke hit, it might be best to keep her on a 4 stroke. I had my Daughter on my Honda while her Hybrid was getting finished and she had a tough time adjusting back to it . I dont know why, but she just seems more aggressive on a 2 stroke.
Next season we will have TONS of training with her while she makes the transition. lol :p