PDA

View Full Version : Penn Foster small engine program?

Honda#4
01-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Just wondering if anyone on here has done this? says on there site that they send everything to you and it costs $700 for everything all the fees, tools, S&H, etc etc. And you do it at your own pace.

JJs450r
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
sounds cool im interested as well

Honda#4
01-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I read in other posts which there where only 7 I think that this program really ain't hands on is this totally true? If thats the case is it entirely worth it?

SRH
01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
waste of money, so is mmi

quadracer707
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Have you done either one or just an opinion?? My son is atending MMI now, & just finished the therey(sp) part. He could not believe how much he learned in the 1st 6weeks, just on carbs alone he reset up his yfz & tuned it in fantastic. Unless you went there, & are not commited to the progarm & can be away from mommy & daddy you dont know what you are talking about. Many good mechanics have come out of there with GREAT payng jobs. When you go to collage or trade school you only get out of what you put into it.You wont belive how many kids in he 1st six weeks of school have alredy missed on average of at least 1 day per week.

Ken

YZ400EX
01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I did the Penn Foster program.. Cost $700.. get good "craftsman" tools.. Not too many tools though and the "do it at your own pace" isnt entirely true.. You have I think a year to complete.. If it isnt completed in that amount of time, you must pay I believe $75 for another 6 month extension and I think you are allowed like 3 extensions..The problem with this coarse is it is all book work and nothing is really "hands on". I mean they have small practices you can do, but its still out of the book.. for the money, I would say its worth it.. The problem with it is since it isnt hands on and most of it you are not going to be using on a daily basis, so by the end of the coarse you will have forgotten a lot of the real technical stuff.. Thats the only problem I found with the program.:D You will still always have the books to reference though if needed!

my88r
01-03-2008, 04:10 PM
im taking it rate now. it isnt to bad. ive learned alot from it. when im done with this i plan to take more. from them:macho

Honda#4
01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
From a person that dont know much about motors like me will this atleast give me an understanding how to get alot of things completed and working like say a blown up 400 motor?

YZ400EX
01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
From a person that dont know much about motors like me will this atleast give me an understanding how to get alot of things completed and working like say a blown up 400 motor?

Not at first it wont.. you will need to get into the program quite a bit before you will be able to tear into something if you dont have any basic knowledge already..

my88r
01-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
Not at first it wont.. you will need to get into the program quite a bit before you will be able to tear into something if you dont have any basic knowledge already..

yea, its more of a course to further your knowledge that you already know.

Honda#4
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
So its pretty much worthless to me? I've been outta school for 4 years now and I haven't even found anything i'm good at I thought if I atleast attempted to do this i'd gain some knowledge in my life.

What is a person suppose to do? I'm sick of farming.

YZ400EX
01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I would by no means say it is a waste of time for you.. You will definately learn things and it will help further you with with some stuff you may already know, but dont think you will be a master mechanic after taking the coarse.. I took it, finished it and still have lots to learn.. I learn some techinical and mechanical things I read on here more than I did by taking the coarse.. Do I feel it was a waste of my time and money?? NO! Do I fell I learned alot taking the coarse?? YES!! I also had a lot of knowledge about the basics prior to taking the coarse also.. It would not be a waste of your time.. For you, not knowing the basics yet it will help drastically.

my88r
01-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
I would by no means say it is a waste of time for you.. You will definately learn things and it will help further you with with some stuff you may already know, but dont think you will be a master mechanic after taking the coarse.. I took it, finished it and still have lots to learn.. I learn some techinical and mechanical things I read on here more than I did by taking the coarse.. Do I feel it was a waste of my time and money?? NO! Do I fell I learned alot taking the coarse?? YES!! I also had a lot of knowledge about the basics prior to taking the coarse also.. It would not be a waste of your time.. For you, not knowing the basics yet it will help drastically.

what was your overall grade for the course?

Honda#4
01-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm just gonna bite the bullet and do it guys, after all you only live once. Thanks to all that answered.

YZ400EX
01-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by my88r
what was your overall grade for the course?

To be honest with you I dont really remember.. It has been a very long time since I took this course.. I was taking it when they were still Education Direct and then at the very end they changed to Penn Foster.. I dont even know how I would go about finding out what I got really.. I didnt use the course to get certified or anything as a mechanic.. I only used it to better myself.. Not a career field.. So the end result (grade) didnt really matter to me.. I know I passed all the tests with 85 and above.

YZ400EX
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I'm just gonna bite the bullet and do it guys, after all you only live once. Thanks to all that answered.

I am glad that you have decided to do it.. You wont be sorry!! I PROMISE!!! Good luck and stick with it.. It gets very boring, but worth the time and money..:D

Honda#4
01-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks YZ I just wanna be able to tell people i've done something in my life.

SRH
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
i guess my first post is not entirely true, if u know absolutely nothing then its worth it but if you have any knowledge im sure youll find its a huge waste of time, and shops around here really hate to take any mmi guys because they dont know jack and expect to be paid way too much just because of a degree

my88r
01-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i guess my first post is not entirely true, if u know absolutely nothing then its worth it but if you have any knowledge im sure youll find its a huge waste of time, and shops around here really hate to take any mmi guys because they dont know jack and expect to be paid way too much just because of a degree

I believe in the motorcycle mechanic field. years of experience is what i would look for. in a mechanic. mmi don't mean much to me.