PDA

View Full Version : New Ball Joints??

bhump84
01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I have laeger's a-arms and believe I need new ball joints, can anyone tell me where I can find them online so I can get a ball park figure for cost of replacements. The reason I think they are out is that there is a little bit of play in the front wheel it has a small amount of movement left to right. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.

Scro
01-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Left and right, as in you grab the front and back of the wheel and it has play?? If this is what is happening, you probably have a tierod end either loose or worn out, not balljoint.

If you really want to check the balljoint, take it out of the spindle, and try pushing and pulling on the thread part in and out of the joint itself. If there is any play at all, they should be replaced. Or if the threaded part moves around freely inside the joint with no resistance what-so-ever, they should be replaced.

There are people that check them by feeling if there is any play by pulling on the top of the wheel. But, I've had balljoints worn completely out that couldn't be felt through the tire. The best way is to just take it out of the spindle...IMO.

bhump84
01-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks. There is movement at the spindle both tie- rods seem to be tight and it seems to be the ball joint at the spindle just as you described.
I guess I will be trying to find some new ball joints.

Scro
01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I would check with C&D first. If they can get them, you will have them ASAP. Great people to work with also. Their link is in my signature.