PDA

View Full Version : Studded Tires???

ZukManZ400
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey, Im looking for some idea's on what to use for studs for my quad. I have regular ITP HoleShots with about 75% tread left..
if anybody has any ideas or advice, I would love to here it!

thanks,
Bob Lindeman

firefighterjosh
01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
My friend just grabbed a bunch of screws with the bolt head on them and put silicone on each one and screwed them in. Seems to work fine

CDALEMX301
01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey for about 60 bucks you can buy a 1000 studs from your dealership designed for Ice and they hook like a mofo....I did it a couple years ago put about 750 between the two back tires and 250 between the front two....took me prob three hours to do but was a blast

wilkin250r
01-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by CDALEMX301
Hey for about 60 bucks you can buy a 1000 studs from your dealership designed for Ice and they hook like a mofo....I did it a couple years ago put about 750 between the two back tires and 250 between the front two....took me prob three hours to do but was a blast

They have a special head that is specifically designed to cut and grab the ice.

http://www.magicracing.com/assets/images/TIRES/Kold%20Kutter/screwsxl.jpg

But if you're looking to just play around, you can probably get some similar screws for significantly cheaper at your local hardware store. They won't give you quite as good traction, but certainly enough to have fun, and should be about half the price.

http://www.boltdepot.com/images/catalog/sheet-metal-screw-hex-head-slotted.gif

400exrider707
01-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
They have a special head that is specifically designed to cut and grab the ice.

http://www.magicracing.com/assets/images/TIRES/Kold%20Kutter/screwsxl.jpg

But if you're looking to just play around, you can probably get some similar screws for significantly cheaper at your local hardware store. They won't give you quite as good traction, but certainly enough to have fun, and should be about half the price.

http://www.boltdepot.com/images/catalog/sheet-metal-screw-hex-head-slotted.gif

We've tried the screws from the hardware store, they wont last but a couple trips on the ice and then the heads round off on them. Not worth the time to put them in from my experience. Get the gold cutter screws. JMO.

kawabunga
01-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
We've tried the screws from the hardware store, they wont last but a couple trips on the ice and then the heads round off on them. Not worth the time to put them in from my experience. Get the gold cutter screws. JMO.

I'll second everything he said.
Gold screws are the way to go. Don't waste your time with hardware screws.
If you're going to do it, it pays to do it right the first time, otherwise it's just headaches afterwards.

naw0029
01-03-2008, 08:18 AM
So you guys have never had any problems with air leaks ato serews pulling out? Im planing on running an ice race in north jersey next month so any help is appricated!!!

ZukManZ400
01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
TTT what about snowmobile skies for the front??? any good?

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by naw0029
So you guys have never had any problems with air leaks ato serews pulling out? Im planing on running an ice race in north jersey next month so any help is appricated!!!

Both screws pulling out, and losing air, its all part of the game. Here's the deal... If you get screws long enough that go all the way through the tire, they hold better, but when they do pull out you get leaks. If you get screws that dont go all the way through, they pull out easier, but you wont get any leaks. I run screws that do NOT go all the way through now. There is nothing I hate more than running ovals on the ice for 30 minutes and then the day is done because I've got 3 flat tires.

honda380
01-11-2008, 11:45 PM
use the longer studs and load them babies with tire slime! i've also seen people put studs in that are just long enough to go through the tire, then add a strip of an old tire tread or a piece of carpet to cover the sharp points, then put tubes in them. then you dont have to worry about losing air when you lose a stud. Corey