PDA

View Full Version : Adding Dry Break to Non-Dry Break Tank

national425ex
01-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Any one ever done this? Is it even possible? Ive looked at both and it seems as if I took a hole saw and cut the cap part out the dry break would just bolt right in place. Then drill a hole in the top for the vent line. Please give your input

ss440ex
01-02-2008, 09:23 PM
What are you asking??

national425ex
01-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ss440ex
What are you asking??

If it is possible to add a dry break to a non dry break tank. As in the IMS dry break system to the IMS oversized non dry break tank.

bloodmoney23
01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
anything is possible, you just need the ingenuity and youll find a way to make it work if it is what you want. It is plastic so it can be cut and then take some apoxy of some sort and patch it over so that it blends and looks good.

j_cyrus3
01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Call IMS. They have a kit for this.

national425ex
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
Call IMS. They have a kit for this.

No they have a kit to make the dry break tank into a screw cap tank. I have called IMS and talked to my sponsor rep, She said it would be better to get the right tank. But I already have the screw cap style. Im just looking for a faster way to refuel.

mike nash
01-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Get the Acerbis quick fill it works with stock tanks.I haven't gotten one yet but it is on my wishlist.Motosport and RMC have them.

national425ex
01-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by mike nash
Get the Acerbis quick fill it works with stock tanks.I haven't gotten one yet but it is on my wishlist.Motosport and RMC have them.

That is a good suggestion but In my case not possible as I am a sponsored rider for IMS and using such product would cause me to be in breach of contract. Thanks anyways!

bloodmoney23
01-03-2008, 09:30 AM
do like i said, just cut out a dry break top, then cut out the non dry break top you already have and use JB Weld or Bondo to make it smooth and look professional. Its like cuttin the top of a pumpkin off.

national425ex
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
do like i said, just cut out a dry break top, then cut out the non dry break top you already have and use JB Weld or Bondo to make it smooth and look professional. Its like cuttin the top of a pumpkin off.

ok that sounds like an idea, but where would I get the dry break top? Wouldnt that mean I have to buy another tank? As far as I can tell the drybreak system just bolts into the tank. Couldnt I just cut the part of the tank that the cap screws on to off, then drill some holes and bolt the dry break system up to it. Sounds easy enough, I just dont want to screw up a perfectly good tank. Can anyone tell me exactly how the dry break system bolts on the tank?

Ty's400
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
If you have a sponsorship you may be better off selling your tank and getting the right one for the dry-break:confused: My buddy may still have just the tank for the dry-break system forsale. He wasn't asking much at all. Send him a PM Dave400ex

national425ex
01-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
If you have a sponsorship you may be better off selling your tank and getting the right one for the dry-break:confused: My buddy may still have just the tank for the dry-break system forsale. He wasn't asking much at all. Send him a PM Dave400ex

yeah that looks like what I am going to have to do... but I believe he already sold that tank

duke416ex
01-03-2008, 12:25 PM
You will be out a little money, but will save yourself a lot of time lining things up and if you are like me making sure that it looks right. Used IMS tanks bring decent money, so you should be ok selling it and buying a new one through your sponsorship. The dry break system and dump can are the expensive part, a lot more expensive than the tank.

travis283
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I have an ims tank oversized already set up for a dry break I would be willing to trade it for a non dry break oversized tank if that helps any the tank is black and in real good shape just some goo on it from previous graphics other than that A OK shape let me know..

Travis