View Full Version : SnowBoarding?

07250ex
01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
hey guys i want to try snowboarding ... i have no idea where to start ... i am a very good skier but have never even set foot on a 20 dollar snowboard on the hill of someones backyard where do ya'll suggest i start and how tough do you think it will be ?

01-02-2008, 07:39 PM
skiing to me came really easy. 1st time I tried it did almost every run no problem. Snowboarding is a bit harder to pick up but I think is more fun. I am going out to Breckenridge, CO with afew friends snowboarding on the 17th for 5 days

01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
get some freinds that know how to snowboard to teach you.

250x_kyle
01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
my friend let me use his nitro donw the hill on there farm that his dad back draged. I realy picked up quick on it. got my first board for christmas but my friends say i wont have a problem on the slope. and i went ballz to teh wall down all the strip job hills we made. even with the huge jumps at the bottom lol.

ricksmx865
01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
i just went to the slope for the first time last weekend, never really snowboarded before (used to skate tho)

the first few trips where pretty sketchy, lol

but if you a quick learner and arent afraid to fall you should be okhaha , good luck

wilkin250r
01-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Your first day skiing, you will fall 20 times. Your first day snowboard, you will fall 180 times. This is NOT an exaggeration.

First off, I would suggest an actual ski resort, not on somebody's hill in their back yard. You need room.

Oddly enough, it's actually easier if you're going faster. You don't need break-neck speed, but you definitely need to be going much faster than a walking-pace, or even a jogging-pace.

When you actually decide to buy your own snowboard, you don't need a $500 Burton with $300 bindings. You won't reach that level of performance for many years. A $250 board/binding combo will easily give you all the performance you'll need for at least 5 years.

firefighterjosh
01-03-2008, 03:12 AM
I tried and gave up.

The biggest thing is you'll be doing good then all of a sudden you will turn sideways, and when you go sideways that means your facing down hill. And when you inexperinced and don't know how to slow down I would always end up doing a face plant.

Plus it kills my knees

beaker1214
01-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Haha my first time that I went to try skiing I mastered the process of falling on my back every time I made a right turn.... But I think im going to try snowboarding with a bunch if friends that go often so maybe I can learn more from them. But with skiing I always fell down during the first quarter of the way down the hill then the rest of the way down was a straight line praying that I didn't fall or hit someone hah. Its fun as long as you don't mind falling ALOT!

TWISTED DINLI
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
to me it was really hard. i coulnt turn it good or keep it going straight. it was hard imo.

Regular_Joe
01-03-2008, 01:54 PM
I picked up skiing really fast. One lesson and I was on the greens the same day.

Snowboarding not so much. You fall a lot. It gets annoying. Its hard because the more speed you have, the more you can keep upright and can maneuver. Yet once you have speed, the harder you fall.

07250ex
01-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
I picked up skiing really fast. One lesson and I was on the greens the same day.

Snowboarding not so much. You fall a lot. It gets annoying. Its hard because the more speed you have, the more you can keep upright and can maneuver. Yet once you have speed, the harder you fall.

yeah ... momentum hence why you cant balance a bike when stopped for more than like 3 seconds but ... i ski black diamonds most of the day with the occasional double black and occasional blue square as well ... i think i can take a few falls lol i've fell quite a few times hitting jumps on skis so i should be all right

300EXrider356
01-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow I'm opposite all of you guys lol. When I first started skiing it took me forever to learn, but I did. Then I wanted to try snowboarding, I picked it up really fast and I dont skate or anything like that. I think it's alot more fun than skiing. The only advice I can give you is when your just cruising, try not to just stand flat on the board or you will catch an edge and wipe out. Also when you turn, lean down the hill and keep your weight on your front foot. To turn just kick your back leg around and put some weight on it. This is how I board, it may not be right but it works for me.:chinese:

400EXtreme
01-03-2008, 02:30 PM
once you learn how to stop your set because then you can butterfly your way down the mountain and eventually learn to carve.