PDA

View Full Version : piston style steering damper

whc
01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Am considering a piston type steerinng damper, mostly since there considerabley cheaper then the under bar type. How well do they work, do they controll the bar yanking big hits, do they make it harder to steer at slower speeds. are there maintence or mounting issues???? thanks Bill

f4istunna
01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
It makes a night and day difference. I didnt have one until this year (didnt think i needed one) then mine broke on trhe last ride and i rode all day w/out it. I wont ride w/out it again. It soaks up alot, bars wont get yanked out of your hands etc.

Most are 7 click adjustable so you can set it how you want, but even all the way up when your rolling a bit its not too hard to steer.

Maintenance is pretty simple either you have a rebuildable one or not lol. Rebuilds are fairly simple also and the kit is cheap.

j_cyrus3
01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I had 2 stick stabilizers. I blew one out on the 2nd ride, and the 2nd one I had I blew it out on the 1st ride. I have a GPR now, no complaints here, I love it.

NJ450rider
01-03-2008, 07:33 AM
I have a Noss Machine steering stabilizer i got off of ebay 2 years ago and it works fine still. not bad for a lil 100 dollar non rebuildable one.

01-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
I had 2 stick stabilizers. I blew one out on the 2nd ride, and the 2nd one I had I blew it out on the 1st ride. I have a GPR now, no complaints here, I love it.

how do they blow out? hitting something really hard or what?

j_cyrus3
01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
God's honest truth, I really couldn't tell much of a difference of it being there.. I did take a couple hard licks when I blew the 1st one out. The GPR on the other hand. I don't care to push myself a little more, it seems to work a lot better than the stick style. Just my opinion though.