PDA

View Full Version : Next mods> Cam etc...

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Need some help deciding what I want to do during this time when I cant get home to ride much.

I have a 07.

My mods are HMF slip on, K&N, Dynojets

Im now going to get into the engine a little...i don't think I want to change the cylinder..

I want i little more snappy response...

Considering hot cams stage 1 or 2...

anything else you can think of I should consider.

also would you go with stage 1 or 2...

F-16Guy
01-02-2008, 05:24 PM
If you don't want to go too crazy, how about an XR400R head gasket (thinner, gives a little higher compression ratio), a HotCams stage 1 cam, and rejet? You'd be in it a whopping $150, and you'd see some decent gains.

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 05:49 PM
dont want to go too crazy but want to do a little more then just the cam....

I got about 500.00 to spend give or take

Originally posted by F-16Guy
If you don't want to go too crazy, how about an XR400R head gasket (thinner, gives a little higher compression ratio), a HotCams stage 1 cam, and rejet? You'd be in it a whopping $150, and you'd see some decent gains.

JOEX
01-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Higher compression piston. Just need to hone the cylinder for the new rings.

boosted3g
01-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree with Joex on the drop in piston. Do a light hone and a stock bore piston and a stage 1 cam. It will really wake up for less than 300 bucks. Id open the air box also at that point.

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 06:02 PM
if im doing that you wouldn't go ahead and drop another cylinder in? oh...on the stock bore pistons where should I go to get them? any brands have a solid track record.

Originally posted by boosted3g
I agree with Joex on the drop in piston. Do a light hone and a stock bore piston and a stage 1 cam. It will really wake up for less than 300 bucks. Id open the air box also at that point.

01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
hone is when they make the cross hatch on the cylinder walls correct? Do you have to do that when you get a new piston and rings? I say get a higher compression piston and the hotcam stage 1. Piston gives quicker revs and a little HP/throttle response increase and the cam will give you all around more power

JOEX
01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
hone is when they make the cross hatch on the cylinder walls correct? Do you have to do that when you get a new piston and rings? ...
Yes and Yes

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
not sure, i will learn with you :)

so far it sounds like all that is affordable and within budget...

I will have to pay someone to do the hone...so if that work is going to be that expensive I might wait and do some more.

Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
hone is when they make the cross hatch on the cylinder walls correct? Do you have to do that when you get a new piston and rings? I say get a higher compression piston and the hotcam stage 1. Piston gives quicker revs and a little HP/throttle response increase and the cam will give you all around more power

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 06:15 PM
joex...

I will probably do the stage 1 hc, and the piston...

since im doing all that is there anything else I should order and put in at the same time...

simple mods...or preventative wise?

Originally posted by casey_lamm
not sure, i will learn with you :)

so far it sounds like all that is affordable and within budget...

I will have to pay someone to do the hone...so if that work is going to be that expensive I might wait and do some more.

lpmaster
01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
prior to boring out my forst 400 i went with a 450r carb. stage 1 cam. exhaust and air box eliminator kit off ebay. and it made quite a bit of useable power. in fact the carb upgrade i think was the best bang for the buck. my friends had bored bikes with stock carbs and couldnt hang. i only bought all that prior to the big bore because i knew it would give me some gains as i waited for the dough to p&p and do a big bore. and boy did they

JOEX
01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
joex...

I will probably do the stage 1 hc, and the piston...

since im doing all that is there anything else I should order and put in at the same time...

simple mods...or preventative wise?
Honing should be fairly inexpensive.

HD studs may be a good idea but you're getting into a few dollars, nothing outrageous though. I can't give an $ estimate.

trx400EXtreme
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
what about a curtis sparks andvanced timing key. 20 bucks and from what i hear WELL worth the buy.

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 06:36 PM
i could do that but dont really understand what they are for and how they work.

Ill have to read some stuff on it.
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
what about a curtis sparks andvanced timing key. 20 bucks and from what i hear WELL worth the buy.

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
must only be used with stock piston...im going to change the piston i think.
i could do that but dont really understand what they are for and how they work.

Ill have to read some stuff on it.

casey_lamm
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
ok well who makes good high comp stock bore pistons? who has the best track record.?

must only be used with stock piston...im going to change the piston i think.