rideing pipe. They told me that the mx pipe makes 8hp with
out the pink wire cut and with the stock air filter setup. They
will be posting dyno sheets on there site later in time. Can am
told them that so far there MX pipe has made the most hp than
all the other exhaust manufactur.

TWISTED DINLI
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
dang sounds pretty good!

but i dont know if its the highest because Rossier says their exhaust has a 9h.p. increase over stock. but i dont know if thats with the pink wire cut or not so.......

bwamos
01-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't see how you could get a good increase w/o cutting the "pink wire". That in essence changes the jetting of the EFI unit.

It would be like saying I got a 8hp increase out of the TRX450R by simply swapping out the filter and pipe. Not carb rejetting required.

Something is amis unless the factory setting is absurdly rich. Though if it were they'd never pass California emmissions.

kwik man
01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Yes Rossier cuts the pink wire to get the 9 hp.

TWISTED DINLI
01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by kwik man
Yes Rossier cuts the pink wire to get the 9 hp.

ok i figure they did but it didnt say it on there site

TWILES
01-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
I don't see how you could get a good increase w/o cutting the "pink wire". That in essence changes the jetting of the EFI unit.

It would be like saying I got a 8hp increase out of the TRX450R by simply swapping out the filter and pipe. Not carb rejetting required.

Something is amis unless the factory setting is absurdly rich. Though if it were they'd never pass California emmissions.

You have to consider that the CanAm starts higher in the horsepower compared to the Honda. I had an 05 Honda and ANYTHING would help that bike. I still can't believe they come that corked-up.

bwamos
01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I understand that. But if you are adding flow without adding fuel you are simply becoming leaner.

Tha CanAm comes with a peashooter to restrict flow in order to reduce DB's and emmissions to meet requirements.

If a quad comes fromt eh factory at 13.5:1 AF Ratio and you add a pipe, filter, and remove the airbox lid you're likley to be up in the 15:1 AF ratio range, thus either bogging or burning up your motor.

Either they are adding an EFI Controller w/o cutting the pink wire (wich would at that point jsut change advance and rev limit) or they are running a VERY lean motor.

ThePhantomRider
01-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah, the efi units on quads don't have the processing power to intuitively compensate for changes in airflow like automobiles do.

They can compensate a bit for altitude changes but it's not enough when you have mods done.

That's why Can-Am added the 2nd program feature which should get you into the ballpark with most exhaust systems and filter setups.

Beyond that a Power Commander is the way to go.

TPR

bwamos
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Yeah, the efi units on quads don't have the processing power to intuitively compensate for changes in airflow like automobiles do.

Aye, you wouldn't really want them to anyway. You'd be clogging up your exhaust flow with sensors.

TWILES
01-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Atleast they don't have the FCR. I swear there are 3-4 things you can adjust to try and correct 1 problem.

rrguy
01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
The FCR is a great carb & plenty of tutors on it for help. Like any carb you need to get the motor warmed up, it to idle right & go from there. You want a carb you can fine tune, Just don't change 3-4 things (needle pilot,main,bleed,air-jets, a/f screw & accelerator pump) at the same time. :D

I love these manufactures like GASGAS, & CanAm/ BRP that are coming out with dual maps from the factory. :cool:

A lean motor will make more hp than a rich motor.

bwamos
01-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by rrguy
A lean motor will make more hp than a rich motor.

I'll have to disagree. A lean motor has no fuel left to burn. It can not produce any horsepower beyond ~14.7:1 depending on the fuel makeup. Generally you need to run richer than 14.7:1 because no fuels are 100% gasoline. There are lot of additives in there.

Dynos consistantly show that the best power is noticably lower than 14.7:1 w/ pump and/or race fuels. Alcohol and nitro methane are of course completely different beasts.

I don't disagree that he's getting potentially getting the hp increase. He specializes in Rotax engines. I do however beleive there's information missing in the origional claim by kwik man. He has to be running something to alter the fuel map with or without the pink wire cut.

Edit: fixed my lean statment. no fuel vs no O2. ;) Thanks rrguy

rrguy
03-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
I'll have to disagree. A lean motor has no oxygen left to burn. It can not produce any horsepower beyond ~14.7:1 depending on the fuel makeup. Generally you need to run richer than 14.7:1 because no fuels are 100% gasoline. There are lot of additives in there.

Dynos consistantly show that the best power is noticably lower than 14.7:1 w/ pump and/or race fuels. Alcohol and nitro methane are of course completely different beasts.

I don't disagree that he's getting potentially getting the hp increase. He specializes in Rotax engines. I do however beleive there's information missing in the origional claim by kwik man. He has to be running something to alter the fuel map with or without the pink wire cut.

Well I could be wrong but leaner always meant more air so I am not sure why it would run out of O2 sooner running lean vs rich? I guess to be clear I would not say any motor makes more hp running too lean or too rich. Technically I stand corrected if you use the number 14.7-1 cause anything less than that is considered rich. So yes Normally people side on the rich end. Yet most dyno folks I have dealt with are seeing numbers lower than that & saying you are running safely rich, but can gain some more power by leaning it out. My point was, when tuning at home there is more fear of running to lean & people do not always know the risk of running too rich or the power loss. Yet fuel used & the ability for that combustion engine to burn all the fuel that goes through plays a big part.

bwamos
03-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by rrguy
Well I could be wrong but leaner always meant more air so I am not sure why it would run out of O2 sooner running lean vs rich? I guess to be clear I would not say any motor makes more hp running too lean or too rich. Technically I stand corrected if you use the number 14.7-1 cause anything less than that is considered rich. So yes Normally people side on the rich end. Yet most dyno folks I have dealt with are seeing numbers lower than that & saying you are running safely rich, but can gain some more power by leaning it out. My point was, when tuning at home there is more fear of running to lean & people do not always know the risk of running too rich or the power loss. Yet fuel used & the ability for that combustion engine to burn all the fuel that goes through plays a big part.

Old thread.. but I'm glad you caught my mistake.

I should have said that a lean motor has no Fuel left to burn beyond 14.7:1.

Sometimes my brain and fingers don't communicate well.. LOL.

Most caurberated motors run best at 13:1. Why? I could be wrong, but I beleive it is because when you increase your throttle position/accelerate you cause a temporary lean condition, if you're at 14.7:1 you go lean. If your at 13:1 normally your hitting closer to an optimum 14.7:1 burn and get much better throttle response. It's not often in a race that you maintain the same throttle position for more then 5-10 seconds, if that long. ;)

ds450
03-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Rossier told me they helped Can-Am design the pink wire mapping before the quad was released. So technically running their exhaust would be perfect with A/F ratio and they even said that. Then buying a $400 programmer wouldnt be needed unless you were gonna do some major work.