PDA

View Full Version : Need honest opinion

88 zilla
01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I have an oportunity to purchase a 2008 limited (black plastic) KFX450 for $5500.00 and wondering if it is worth it. It is all stock and has only been ridden several times (maybe has 6 to 8 hours riding time). I have heard alot of bad things about the design but would like to know if, at this price, it is worth getting and fixing the problems as I can afford it. I also do about 60% sand dunes and 40% trails so will this bike work for me. I am ridding a 88 LT500 but am looking for something that will be alittle more reliable. Thanks for your help.

01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
it is probanly the slowest stock 450 but can be easily improved with power commander and pipe so if the quad is in perfect condition then i would say do it but if not then if would go with a left over yfz they have Alot more power stock

woodsZrider
01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by 88 zilla
I have an oportunity to purchase a 2008 limited (black plastic) KFX450 for $5500.00 and wondering if it is worth it. It is all stock and has only been ridden several times (maybe has 6 to 8 hours riding time). I have heard alot of bad things about the design but would like to know if, at this price, it is worth getting and fixing the problems as I can afford it. I also do about 60% sand dunes and 40% trails so will this bike work for me. I am ridding a 88 LT500 but am looking for something that will be alittle more reliable. Thanks for your help.

what design problems have you heard about????:confused:

450raider
01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
design problems...thats unheard of....literally, what did you hear and where did you hear it :tired:? but as for everything else $5500 is a deal if its really in that kind of condition.

chipworkz
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I haven't heard or seen anything about any design flaws so maybe you heard it from someone that just doesn't like the quad. As far as it being a good quad or not, I love mine. As you can see in my signature I also have 2 Hondas for my wife and daughter so I am not just a Kawasaki guy. The are only three negatives I have found.
1) The suspension is very hard from the factory but I have gotten it very close to my liking just by adjusting the compression and rebound clickers. It is still a little stiff but VERY balanced. I just have a little more work left to get it perfect. Unless you are racing I don't feel you need to spend a lot of money on replacing the shocks. Just spend some time and dial them in for your weight and riding style.
2)I am 6'1" so the handle bars are a little low when standing up. There are many fixes for this. You can buy the Tusk Universal Handlebar Riser Kit for 20 bucks, new ATV High bend bars for 65 or a new steering stem for 250. It depends on how much you want to spend and how much taller you need them.
3) The seat if pretty hard for trail riding so you can buy a new softer seat foam or just drill several holes in the foam to soften it up. Read this Hard seat fix (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=324764&highlight=seat)

Like I said I love mine and I paid 8k for it when it first came out so I think you are getting a great deal.

88 zilla
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by woodsZrider
what design problems have you heard about????:confused: I have heard that there is a fuel problem with the tank and that the handlebars are to low and the seat to hard-nothing major just small stuff.

Sprks450r04
01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
i love mine, i have no comlaints, go for it, i think its a steal

BLU82
01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
The gas tanks were recalled and fixed, the bars being too low is more of a rider opinion (I'm 5'11 and think the bars are fine were they are) but the seat is hard. Theres no getting around that. I got a quadtech seat cover that has a little extra foam and it's much better now. I also know that drilling holes in the seat does work, we did it to my brothers. And for 5500 I'd say buy it.