PDA

View Full Version : One hell of a way to start the new years off, lookin for help.

ZeroLogic
01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Well this new years started off with a bang. I got three problems and lookin for some help.

I'll start by saying I am broke.:o

Problem one. My truck, is burning way to much gas lately. I've spent around 60 dollars since yesterday on gas, I drove about 100 miles and thats an overkill estimate. The truck gets 24 mpg. I used a half of tank of gas going 50 miles. Any ideas whats worng. I'm either thinkin that theres a leak somewhere in the tank of one of the lines, my front hubs are locked, its a 4wd truck and you have to lock the hubs in. I have them on the free mark but maybe something inside is stuck? Or that my parking brake or brakes in general are sticking. The brakes squeek from my front drivers side wheel, it starts and stops all the time. Could it be the sand and dirt that my development throws down during the winter?

Problem two. I ran over a friggen nail. Whats the cheapest way to fix it. Does the "fix-a-flat" work? Or should I buy a new tires? My tires are about 150 bucks each. I don't have that money right now.

Problem three. My cylinder needs to be replated. Wheres the cheapest place to get it coated? Should I just but a new cylinder off of Ebay?

Thanks guys.:ermm:

dirtbike&quad
01-02-2008, 04:26 PM
youch :/ good luck dude, cant help ya out. but ive been doin my parts like u said, turned out pretty good. ill have a pic up soon :)

cdrookie
01-02-2008, 04:32 PM
1. it's easy to check for leaks, jack it up and rotate the tires to see if the hubs are sticking or brakes are dragging. also check plugs/wires/air filter/oxygen sensor

2. get a steelbelted radial plug and plug the hole

3. about $200 for a rechromed cylinder from US Chrome. turn around was good and the quality was excellent.

ZeroLogic
01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
youch :/ good luck dude, cant help ya out. but ive been doin my parts like u said, turned out pretty good. ill have a pic up soon :)

Yea I deffently want to see it bro. Let me know when you get pics.

Originally posted by cdrookie
1. it's easy to check for leaks, jack it up and rotate the tires to see if the hubs are sticking or brakes are dragging. also check plugs/wires/air filter/oxygen sensor

2. get a steelbelted radial plug and plug the hole

3. about $200 for a rechromed cylinder from US Chrome. turn around was good and the quality was excellent.

I just plugged the hole with my dad. So one problem fixed. I'm going to get my brother to jack up the truck on one of them stands in his auto class and check for leaks and the brakes dragging. Hopefully its nothing bad. 200 bucks is a lot for a kid like me. I though two strokes we're suppose to be cheap.:blah:

pred174
01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
what year and kind of truck do u have that u are getting such bad gas mileage

Ghost-Rider
01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Gas tank leak ? Hope you don't smoke lol.

ZeroLogic
01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by pred174
what year and kind of truck do u have that u are getting such bad gas mileage

Its a 1998 with 65k miles. Bad gas mpg? What are you smoking. 24mpg is pretty good if you ask me.:p I'm not sure what the hell is going on now though.:chinese:

glamiskid395
01-03-2008, 12:17 AM
damn 24 mpg, thats good.
my 98 gmc 1500 only gets 12-15 mpg 150K miles
make sure you got the correst amount of air in the tires is all i can say, and keep the tailgate in its 'upright and locked postition' it helps save fuel.

-glamis kid

KXRida
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
So is it your hubs or your brakes?

If your hubs are locked that will not cause your brakes to squeal. When you lock your hubs it turns everything including driveshaft, but you're still not in 4wd.

I take it you have drums in the rear. Check and make sure your parking brake adjuster didn't fall out and is wedged in the drum. That could be your parking brake problem. Check the pads up front and make sure no road debris is in them. That could also be your squeeking problem. Check the simple stuff first.

KXRida
01-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
and keep the tailgate in its 'upright and locked postition' it helps save fuel.

-glamis kid

not enough that you'd notice it. You're only saving fractions of a gallon.

Exrider434
01-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by glamiskid395
keep the tailgate in its 'upright and locked postition' it helps save fuel.

-glamis kid

i thought leaving the tailgate down helped save gas due to less air drag? Well if you dont have a tonneau cover.... Idk I could be wrong

cdrookie
01-03-2008, 11:35 AM
tailgate up is the best fuel mileage. i think even the tonneau cover kills a little gas mileage. mythbusters got 30-40 more miles per tank in identical full size fords on the highway. when i was driving back and forth from GA to PA i'd get noticeably better mileage with the tailgate up on my old dakota. it's all about the airflow over the cab... disrupt it and the air becomes turbulant thus creating drag.

glamiskid395
01-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
tailgate up is the best fuel mileage. i think even the tonneau cover kills a little gas mileage. mythbusters got 30-40 more miles per tank in identical full size fords on the highway. when i was driving back and forth from GA to PA i'd get noticeably better mileage with the tailgate up on my old dakota. it's all about the airflow over the cab... disrupt it and the air becomes turbulant thus creating drag.

yup, thats where i got the idea.
a tonneau cover with wing is worse than leaving the tailgate down.