PDA

View Full Version : turbo-chargers

05400exdude
01-02-2008, 01:09 PM
So i was riding my stock 07 450r at pismo sand dunes a few weeks ago and i raced a guy who had a turbo-charged ds650. he kicked my butt. that was the fasted quad i had ever seen. its got me interested. does anyone know any information on turbos? where can you get one, how much are they, pros/cons, anything will help. thanks guys.

bloodmoney23
01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
contact turbo530r or chad502ex. they know a bit about them.

NJ450rider
01-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Was it yellow with a plus size swingarm? Theres vids on youtube of a turbo ds650 just wasting everything it raced.

400exrider707
01-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 05400exdude
does anyone know any information on turbos? .

What kind of information? Like how they work? I could type something long up, but you can just go to: www.howstuffworks.com and find out

where can you get one,

Turbos are everywhere, ebay is the most economical, but usually you buy a turbo then have to fab most of the piping and so forth to fit a quad application. It can be done, but it will take some work.

how much are they

Depends on what you get. I've seen some go for over $2000, where as my buddy picked up a 6 pack of small turbos for $200 before, brand new. Probably wouldn't be sufficient enough to turbo a quad, but worked good on his lawnmower... For a quad, a decent turbo off of a small SMALL car motor might work, or something setup for a bike perhaps. Cant be too big.

pros/cons,

They make a lot more horsepower, and it's considered free horsepower, because it is exhaust driven. Downside, your motor will have to be sufficiently built to handle this kind of power, and everything must be considered, internals, gears, top end, fuel delivery... EVERYTHING!

Try reseraching it some, there is a lot to it, but turbocharging can be fun, and very rewarding.

bloodmoney23
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Well ill give my two cents then....I work alot on turbocharged cars. I have owned 3 different turbo cars. You can find them at just about any aftermarket car parts website. Like dude said they can run actually up to $5000+ but for the size you would use on a ATV would be about a 16g turbo (stock mitsubishi eclipse turbo when they had the GTX) or smaller you are looking between $400-$1000 just for the turbo. My bet is smaller. They have many pros. All a turbo does is forced air induction. IE it pushes more air allowing more fuel and keeping it cooler while burning more fuel. In the end it basically doubles your HP or a little more than doubles. But the bigger turbo you have the more turbo lag you get (a negative aspect) Turbo lag is basically just the period of time that it takes to force the air through the entire system and build up the pressure the bigger the turbo the more lag you get. You would need a stronger rod (crankshaft) and a high compresion piston that can handle it. You will also have to have a port and oversize valve job done on the head. You will need to find a place to mount a small intercooler to help with cooling the air. Then you will have to fabricate piping and tubing for all of the parts (ie intercooler, turbo, exhaust. You will def need to bore your carb out too to allow for the extra air to even get through and make significant changes to your jetting. You may also need to get a better coil to create a better spark to ignite the fuel once again because it puts a lot more fuel in. it is alot of work and a lot of money. Like I said, talk to chad502ex and he will be able to give you a better lowdown on them for cost and what you need. Like i said, i work alot with them on cars and a car motor is way different than a 450r motor.

01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
for the 400ex they make a bolt on turbo all the parts your need for $4,095. check it out...

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/honda_ex400.html

but for a 450r a turbo will make so much power it will be insane. In huevos 9 the turbo yfz hauled a**. Really if you turbo anything your going to see huge HP increases

quadgod440ex
01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Bloodmoney just to correct you real quick ... The first generation gsx's came with 14b which is stock for a 5 speed car , The automatic's came with a 13b. The 16g is actually an aftermarket turbo for the eclipses. Its more like a stock grand national turbo. The turbo you would probley wanna run on a quad would be a T-25 which comes off of a second generation eclipse/Talon. They are actually smaller then the first generation 14b/13b ive seen people use these on quads and streetbikes. they were great and make decent power. Ive owned 2 turbo eclipses all wheel drive and 1 talon all wheel drive , All 3 have seen mid to low tens. Of coarse not on the stock turbos. But just wanted to throw my 2 sense in there. Also these turbos im speaking of i can probley get any where from 50-$300. Let me know

bloodmoney23
01-03-2008, 01:09 PM
i had the 95 GSX and it was a 16G that i replaced with a GT35R ball bearing. Hit the mid 9's untill my engine was stolen....Unless the previous owner had put the 16G on (which is possible) I thought the 16 was stock. But thank you for correcting me. But anyway, I was on the right track just mixed some numbers up. $50-$300......dang i wished i knew u sooner! I was going to TC a cavalier Z24 but couldnt find a cheap enough turbo.

quadgod440ex
01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Yea the 16g was deffinatly added. GT35r are awsome turbo. My 91 tsi right now is running a turbonetics T-70 planning on hitting 9's come spring time. Sorry to hear about your motor also. But anyway yes them stock turbos around here sell like hot cakes for dirt cheap. I got about 6 of them in my garage waiting for rebuilds. Just ordered all the rebuild kits from www.extremepsi.com . If you look at any other 2g stock eclipse you will be able to deffinatly tell that your turbo was added before you got the car. The t-25 turbo is setup totally different then the 16g's and 14b's. The intercooler pipe and all oil lines and the coolant lines that run to the turbo has to be changed when switching the t-25 to a 16g on the second generation cars. But anyway lets stay on track were talkin quads now not dsm's hahaha. Good luck with the build.

pro-rider46
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
turbo_530r's bike has a t 25 turbo on it, and it was ran with efi as well, i figured i would wait until one of them came in to tell you guys, but it has been quiet the past few days, they got a kit from kmsperformance.com, and it came with pretty much everything it needed, but i think they ended up putting a bigger turbo on. which i think was the t 25, i also remember that the quad had 9 to 1 compression, high compression pistons dont go the greastest with boost, and since your stock piston is 12 to 1, it needs to be lowered, i am unsure if the piston they used was supplied with the kit or was ordered specialy. idk much more, but dang i love that quad, it looked so sweet, and i think it was dynoed at over 120hp. haha hell ya. thats awesome

Benjithx
01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
You would need a stronger rod (crankshaft) and a high compresion piston that can handle it.

Wouldn't you want a lower compression piston to reduce the risk of detonation and give some slack to a carb tuned motor?

bloodmoney23
01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
i meant lower compression....sorry, when i wastyping i was think the stronger crank and for some reason it made me think HC too. My bad.