PDA

View Full Version : chain jumping

stumpleg
01-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I haven't really ran into this before, but what are some signs that your chain may be skipping while riding? Does it sounds like a knocking noise while you may be going over some rough stuff or turning. Sounded fine in a straight line not going very fast.

steve181
01-02-2008, 02:18 PM
normal prob

there is a plastic piece called a chain glider.... it prob fell off (usally does after wear) then when it falls off it hits off the skid plate causing a clagling noise

its real cheap u can pick 1 up off ebay or ur local honda dealer

stumpleg
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
That's not it. Its still there and I have the GT Thunder dual sprocket guard. I don't run a skid plate on that side.

FASTDAD-77
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Its sounds like your axle bearings are shot. In most cases when it gets bad enough to pop, your may have to replace the carrier also. Usually its the chain side bearing because of the torc on that side. you won't know if the carrier is bad till you pull the bearings but if its a Honda like is listed, Honda gives no room for badly wore bearings before the axle and bearing spacer ( or collar) starts cutting the carrier. I hope I'm wrong because I went through that not too long ago and its not a cheap fix.

stumpleg
01-03-2008, 06:44 AM
That may be it. But I don't run stock carriers because of that. I have a Rad dual row in it and two other brand new Rad carriers in case the bearings went bad it it.

bwamos
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Put the ATV up on a stand. Grab a rear wheel, move it around, and see if there is any give. There should be no noticable slop. If there is your carrier bearings are shot.

Many times they go bad from the chain being to tight. Other times it's just from age, or lack of maintenance (regreasing).