PDA

View Full Version : could the kfx go by another name?

450raider
01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
well firstly id like to say either this post has a simple answer to it, or it could be a thinker, i was just thining and ya know how other companies change the model names of their machines by size (mainly between 400's and 450's) such as you got the sports 400ex, z400, yfm (350 raptor) then you go to your performances 450r, ltr450, yfz450 and yet kfx is the same (give or take the "R" at the end) now i know a few of these transend from there 80's 250 names and kawi called theirs tecate but couldnt they have taken the model numbers from it and give it to the kfx to not confuse it with the kfx400? (i know they dont make it anymore but theres still alot of em out there)

just wondering

BLU82
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Ya the whole kfx thing can get confusing. When I go to the local shop I tell them I have kfx. They think I mean the 400. So everytime I go I have to say "I have a kfx450r". Sometimes that confuses them even more.:eek2: A suzuki owner can just say I have a ltr and thats enough. And the similarity between kx450f and kfx450 confuses my local dealer. But dealers get confused alot.

bwamos
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
But dealers get confused alot.

Isn't that the truth.. lol. 2/3's of our local dealers wouldn't even know what you were talking about if you asked about something as standard as rejetting a quad.

08mxkfx
01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
haha i got into an arguement with the guy that works at the part counter at my dealership that the kfx450r didnt exist cause there was no option in the computer for 2008 Kawasaki models.

4wheelinmatt
01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
haha same here, i was trying to get some oil filters and what not and the guy didnt believe me that it was an 08. i made the guy walk with me to the kfx450 on the show room to see the year on the frame. the guy was like "oh" and walked back to his computer. it was hilarious.

feature05
01-02-2008, 02:59 PM
HA HA HA. Dude tell me about it. I had bought my 08 out of state in March 2007 the first day they hit the showroom floor. A few days later I went to a local dealer to get oil filters and a spark plug and the people behind the counter insisted that I was full of it and I didn't have the quad yet, plus they were saying Kawasaki didn't even have the parts list on thier website either. To bad for them I had it outside in the back of my truck so I had to show them it was already out to shut them up.

450raider
01-02-2008, 03:44 PM
after a little research i found that their tecate was modle numbers kxt and kxf (depending on years) so either one of those are decent, then i did find the 400 are actually ksf so i guess puting an X somewhere made it cooler so i guess while there really is nothing wrong with the name kfx there still coulda been a slight letter change or a dash or somethin oh by the way how is teacte pronounced? seriously ive always called it tek-8 but someone told me its tek-ah-tee which does make sense but i like my way better :D

BLU82
01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I has the same 08 problem. Mine was over the phone so I just laughed hung up and called another dealer. And when you go to look at a part fiche it's listed as a ksf450-b8f? This is too much:D

450raider
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
well im still not sure on the tecate thing, but i do see a somewhat solution now since a 08 400 doesnt exist thats fine let the performance machines take the kfx name 450 and 250 (when it comes out), and when the new 400 comes out (and possibly 250 sport) give it the kvf name, either that or call it kxt 450 or somethin

whiteltr
01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
the big vibrater

450raider
01-10-2008, 02:09 PM
uhhhhh......no

wrong forum madam

TWILES
01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
after a little research i found that their tecate was modle numbers kxt and kxf (depending on years) so either one of those are decent, then i did find the 400 are actually ksf so i guess puting an X somewhere made it cooler so i guess while there really is nothing wrong with the name kfx there still coulda been a slight letter change or a dash or somethin oh by the way how is teacte pronounced? seriously ive always called it tek-8 but someone told me its tek-ah-tee which does make sense but i like my way better :D

I think it would have been cool if they had called it a Tecate. Suzuki went with Quadracer.

Waynoka Local
01-17-2008, 01:00 AM
In the 80s, the Tecates used the KXT and KXF prefixes because their engines were based on the 250 two-stroke in the KX250 dirt bike. The T and F designated how many wheels it had. Since the new racer's engine is based on the big KX, it should be called the KXF450 Tecate. Lose the R. That's for Hondas. The Tecate was always the high-performance ATV, and I think they should revive the name, just as Suzuki did with the Quad Racer and Honda did with the R. It has a lot of history behind it, and the new 450 is just the next step in the evolution of Kawasaki performance ATVs. However it's pronounced is up to you, but I say tuh-cah-tay.