PDA

View Full Version : Cayman alligator

MX MaNiAc 06
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I was thinking of getting a cayman. I can get one for $30 and i thought it would be the coolest pet ever. But how hard would it be to take care of him? Am i going to have to keep his water a certain temperature or can i just sit him in a rubbermaid tub in my room? Does he need a strict diet?

I know Reptike can help!

bulkdriverlp
01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
friend of mine bought one of these about 18 years ago, could fit in the palm of your hand, last i knew it was about 4' long. dont know if he still has it. it ate live mice last i knew. i think he used fish aquariums with logs and pond, light. not sure

MX MaNiAc 06
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
What did he do with it when it got 4'?

reptikes
01-01-2008, 11:22 PM
$30 Get it!!!! Or let me know where and who and i'll take it.
I've have 5 gators in the last 3 years, and they are easy to take care of. The biggest pain is was changing their water. Which is easy now, just use the same thing you use to change water in a fish tank. You can feed them live or frozen (thawed out of course). I kept a 3' and a 2' gator together in an enclosure that was 4'x3'x3' and they had plenty of room. You gotta remember when someone says a 5' or 6' gator, it's body is only going to be
2 1/2 - 3 foot long the rest is all tail. 6' sounds big but its not.

Strict diet NO. And No you can't put him in a rubbermaid container in your room. If the room your keeping him in is 80 degrees then your good. If not (and you know it isn't) then use a heatpad (ZOOMED brand). the gator should have water he can get his whole body in and dry land too.

Anymore questions just ask.

tp300ex
01-02-2008, 12:22 AM
dont get caught with it...

jesseweaver
01-02-2008, 04:44 AM
get it then wait till it gets like 6' then put it on a leash and take it to the track with you

01-02-2008, 05:46 AM
a girl i knew ummm very well at IUP had a cayman, she brought it to school for a few weeks...it was cool until it got loose in her room...that wasn't fun...it wasn't the friendliest of pets, especially when it had been on the loose for a few hours

and a cayman is not an alligator or croc...it is it's own species

MX MaNiAc 06
01-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Are they illegal? My boss knows a dude who sells all kinds of different reptiles out of his house. He had a black momba in a box the one time he was there and some cobras. So i wouldnt be surprised if its illegal.

What do they usually run for?

01-02-2008, 07:02 AM
i would say they are not legal in pa, but i am not sure of that...but knowing that some one had one makes me wonder if she was legal or illegal

and i have no idea of the cost...i do know that it is one reptile that i don't think i would have...they grow to the size of the enclosure but need enough room to get fairly large...the one she had was only about 2 foot long and when it had it's teeth showing, i knew it i didn't want to get bit by it...it wasn't going to be like a snake bite...one could have lost a/some finger(S)...

01-02-2008, 07:15 AM
any poisonous snake is illegal to own and sell in pa, although there are a limited amount of special permits that allow certain persons to own poisonous snakes under strict circumstances.

reptikes
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
any poisonous snake is illegal to own and sell in pa, although there are a limited amount of special permits that allow certain persons to own poisonous snakes under strict circumstances.

You CAN sell and own poisonous snakes in Pa.

reptikes
01-02-2008, 12:41 PM
i would say they are not legal in pa, but i am not sure of that...but knowing that some one had one makes me wonder if she was legal or illegal

and i have no idea of the cost...i do know that it is one reptile that i don't think i would have...they grow to the size of the enclosure but need enough room to get fairly large...the one she had was only about 2 foot long and when it had it's teeth showing, i knew it i didn't want to get bit by it...it wasn't going to be like a snake bite...one could have lost a/some finger(S)...

And they are not fish! Don't keep talking about things you know nothing about. They will out grow their enclosure.

And they are legal.

reptikes
01-02-2008, 12:44 PM
a girl i knew ummm very well at IUP had a cayman, she brought it to school for a few weeks...it was cool until it got loose in her room...that wasn't fun...it wasn't the friendliest of pets, especially when it had been on the loose for a few hours

and a cayman is not an alligator or croc...it is it's own species

Alligators and caimans are archosaurs, small species of crocodilians, forming the family Alligatoridae (sometimes regarded instead as the subfamily Alligatorinae).
Think of the CAIMAN not CAYMAN as the Alligators half brother or cousin.

01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
you cannot legally own poisonous snakes in pa without a license. it is harder than hell to get a license.

i know it was caiman also, just got into his spelling because i had not had any sleep since yesterday morning. and i didn't really care...

as far as them out growing their enclose, i was only going off of what the girl had told me waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back in 1992 when she had it at school...i often thought she was wrong about that, but never bothered to look it up since i will never own one...the idea is is that they are not a good pet to have. they are fairly large and aggressively dangerous. special care need to be taken when owning one of these. it is not like having a small snake, an iguana, or other lizard...

same family as a gator, different genus and species though

jesseweaver
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
You CAN sell and own poisonous snakes in Pa.

me and my cousin catch rattlesnakes up near the PA grand canyon, so could we sell them? how much would you get?

reptikes
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
you cannot legally own poisonous snakes in pa without a license. it is harder than hell to get a license.

No you DUMB *****, you don't need a licence. Your town might have an ordinance against posionous snakes but probably NOT.
No laws in Pa against selling or buying posionous snakes. I can take you to a Show in two weeks and you can buy a Cobra if you'd like. PLEASE quit typing ***** that you no nothing about.

01-02-2008, 03:04 PM
chill out mervin...this is not something to be getting all insulting and ignorant about...you don't need to name call over this...so just ummm chill out

i have been told by many dealers, when i was looking for my first snake and inquiring about buying a gaboon viper, that a license is required and have seen the pa license to own poisonous snakes hanging on walls...

at the one county fair we attend, we always take my daughter into a trailer that has a variety of snakes, many poisonous. hanging on the wall of the trailer is a license to possess them. top line in 2006( the last time we were able to go to that fair):

License to possess poisonous snakes In the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. the very next line was: Effective XXXX month 2006 to XXXX month 2007.

i have also seen these license in establishment that have had poisonous snakes on display...but maybe they have changed the laws since who know who cares...but you seriously need to calm down...

mxdad
01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
A friend of mine used to have a caiman. He started out keeping it in a 55 gal aquarium but he ended up sectioning off his living room with a jersey type wall with plexi glass on top. It was half land/half water (enough to submerge himself as stated). He started off feeding it mice but by the time it was 5' it would eat live rabbits & chickens (wicked to watch!!!). He got rid of it when it was about 5' and he had a baby.

MX MaNiAc 06
01-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by mxdad
A friend of mine used to have a caiman. He started out keeping it in a 55 gal aquarium but he ended up sectioning off his living room with a jersey type wall with plexi glass on top. It was half land/half water (enough to submerge himself as stated). He started off feeding it mice but by the time it was 5' it would eat live rabbits & chickens (wicked to watch!!!). He got rid of it when it was about 5' and he had a baby.

I thought they only grew to be about 3'? Or didnt he have a dwarf caiman? That is rediculous to have a 5' caiman in your living room. I know grandma would never come to the house again!!

reptikes
01-03-2008, 10:42 AM
The Dwarf Caiman Male CAN (usally doesn't) reach 5'. And the female can (usally doesn't) reach 4'. You got to remember a 5' Caiman is only going to have a 2 1/2' body. Look at a Caiman geting 3 1/2' to maybe 4'. And the Dwarf Caiman does not go in water that much at all. That can be a plus and a negative, the negative is that is cool as he11 feeding them in water, and when they deficate in the water it's easier to clean up just dump and refill. The plus is that water can be messy sometimes. It's all on how you look at it.

Like i said before if you don't want this Caiman let me know, Because i'll take it right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

standardryder
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
think hard before you get something like that. sure its cool sitting in a glass aquarium in your room when its a baby, but what are you going to do when you have a 5' spastic chainsaw on your hands eating out your entire house? do your research BEFORE you get this, find out what it needs, UVB lights? special diet? temps, humidity? this is a living thing too that can live to be as old as you, are you willing to give that kind of dedication?
just do your research.
heres some links to check out,
http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/460.html
http://www.caimanhunter.com/caresheets.html