PDA

View Full Version : any welders on here?

00.400ex#55
01-01-2008, 08:05 PM
ok so i got my quad out yesterday and finaly got it runing good enough to rev it up alot. ended up breaking my mounting braket off my pipe. tried weldine it back on and now i have an even bigger hole and a crack starting. sry no close pic yet but its basicly 3/4 of a cricle about 1 1/2 inch diameter then a strait crack that goes about another inch.

dont realy now how to fix it. im thinking maybe a ruber mount but thats a little late now.

BranMan
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM
what kinda of a welder did u try to use?

00.400ex#55
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
a mig with flux core wire from canadain tire. so basicly a couple hundred $ peice of ****. but the welds are holdin that motor in so far so it cant be that bad. i dont have deep enpough pokets for a fancy one with gas.

Hondamaster5505
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
we have a mig welder and a stick welder.

My dad has been welding stuff on the side for years. He even welded his employees frame that cracked and its still holding up.

mbx5
01-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Yea will definitely need a MIG welder - small dia wire like .035" and some cooler settings so you dont burn through...I would also use a standard metal core wire with 75/25 gas for standard MIG....it would be nice if you could use someones inverter with a pulse process (would be best with 85/15 or 90/10 gas) but standard MIG should work...

You can fill in the hole with a little finess but if you arent careful you will make it much worse. You may want to have someone with some experience help you...

Here is a robotic weld cell I designed and built that welds chromoly tube steel for Harley Davidson bikes (spot lamp brackets)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNEXY5Il1fA

400sEXridr
01-01-2008, 08:55 PM
it would probably work best if you could find someone with a tig willing to help you out. with tig you can control the heat input and kind of work your way around the circle building it up with filler metal until the gap is filled. this takes some practice so unless you can find someone with experience willing to help you you could make your problem worse

SAR Tracker
01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm sure for only a few bucks, you could get someone to TIG it back into position. On thin metal, that's the way to go.... Plus, they can use the proper metal (it's probably stainless, and fluxcore wire is just plain steel).

trx400EXtreme
01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
just a little question, i know what mig stands for... what does tig stand for?

ktmbill
01-02-2008, 06:32 PM
A tig welder uses a torch and a foot pedal with controls the heat,
the torch holds the tungsten tip and disburs the argon gas.
You use a steel wire of different dia.
You may be having a hard time welding because of the chrome must grind off and cut a steel patch , then turn the welder down as low as you can then you can turn it up as need.
good luck

250x_kyle
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
TIG= Tungsten Inert(sp) Gas
it used to be called heli arc because they used to use helium for the shield gas but it blows away to easy wich contamintaes the weld.

you use a torch a foot pedal and a filler rod. u set the machine heat but it is more contolable because you use a pedal. takes alot of time to get used to and learn but when u learn it u can weld alot with it.

if u lived closer i would tig weld it for free.
put a magnent on it and let us know if it sticks. if it doesnt it could be stainless steel. stainless has nickle mixed with it so some stainless is magnetic and some isnt. depends on teh quality of the sainless. stainless with more carbon is magnetic and is poor quality and will rust. stainless with more nickel in it wont rust and is not magnetic.

trx400EXtreme
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
cool thanks. is tig welding any harder than mig welding? sorry not trying to hijack ur thread 00.400ex#55.

00.400ex#55
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
the problem isnt the welds, the pipe itself is craking and isnt strong enough to handle the vibration. took the pipe off ands its worse then i thought. the only thing i can think of is to pach the hole first. then wrap and weld a 1inch or so wide peice of steel all the way around the pipe with the seam oposite of the mounting piont. then weld the mounting braket back on to that.

what ya think of that?

Barrymaxx
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Mig is much easier than tig. But many people actually prefer a tig because they can control it more.

I just started flux core welding. Once I get good at that ill get a gas tank and do some real mig welding.

I use a lincoln pro mig 140.

250x_kyle
01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
i prefer tig but i can mig just as good