PDA

View Full Version : larger oil tanks and head pipe clearance

boosted3g
01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I think the next modification i am doing is a larger oil tank. I have seen a few pics on ebay and it looks like the oil tank is extremely close to the head pipe. Has anyone had any issues or know of any combinations of head pipes and oil tanks that will not work. I currently have an HMF full exhaust and im not set on which oil tank i plan to purchase. I would like to add an extra quart if possible. Can anyone give some suggestions on an oil tank and if it will clear my HMF. If you have some pics post em up.

gojk
01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I doubt there will be clearance problems. I have an oversized tank and most of the added volume on the tank is towards the front and bottom of the tank. Not on the header side.

01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
is the only benefit of a larger tank just you wnt really ever have to worry about running low on oil? and maybe the oil will stay cooler for a bit longer?

motochamp250
01-02-2008, 04:03 PM
i've seen a few oversize tanks and they don't look like they would have problems but then again this was on stock headers and i havent seen all the aftermarket headers out there either lol:confused:

j/w has anyone thought about making their own?? or is there stuff inside the tank i dont know about?? then you could make it virtually as big as u want.....im jw if anyone has given any thought to it cuz i haven't really looked into it juss tossing out some idears...

Pappy
01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
unless those building the tanks have changed designs...you can and will run into issues with an aftermarket headpipe

boosted3g
01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys, it looks like im sol on an oil tank until i can talk to some of the manufactures about a specific tank and head pipe combo. Plan B is to go to a hydralics shop and see if i can get some lines fabbed up and convert to a larger oil cooler and get some additional oil that way.