PDA

View Full Version : What to buy Kids?

jcv400ex
01-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm torn on what to buy my two kids for their first motorized machines. Their ages are 8(boy) and 5(girl). I'm deciding between motorcycles or atv's. I don't want to buy them bikes and see them have the front end wash out all the time and they dump the bike. I don't want them to get discouraged. I started on bikes when I was 3, but it was just in the yard and I didn't have any skin on my knees that summer! I'm kinda leaning towards 4 wheels right now for them to learn how ride off road, and they can decide then if they want a bike next or not. But if I get 4 wheelers, it's going to be new off brands, I don't have $4,000 to shell out for two mini-quads, nor do i want to buy 10 year old Suzuki's.

BLU82
01-01-2008, 07:39 PM
My first ride was a dirtbike when I was six or seven and I dont remember falling off that much. After the bike I wanted a quad though. I think it's better to learn on a bike because it teaches it you balence and better throttle control. A quad you can just get on and floor it.

honduh440
01-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
balence and better throttle control. A quad you can just get on and floor it.

thats exactly why the 90s were all down hill for atvs and were so far behind ... retards like yourself think like that when you jump on an atv

trx400EXtreme
01-01-2008, 07:46 PM
you could always to bikes with training wheels or something.

KXRida
01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Honestly if you want my opinion, get them a bike.

I've ridden both for years and I have gotten hurt a lot more on quads, especially my ankles. Ofcourse you are going to lay a bike over sometime. Everyone does. Not only that, but sometimes being too over confident can be a bad thing, which is why you see little kids flying around on full size quads giving the sport a bad name. Anyone can ride a quad, but not everyone can ride a bike. Just take it easy and get them the right gear.

Ghost-Rider
01-01-2008, 07:57 PM
You're going to get mixed answers, I saw a quad, I like the fact you can ride them anytime of the year on most any terrain.

Pappy
01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
bikes!!
and let me know..i have a sweet little ktm 50 that needs anew home

jcv400ex
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
LOL Kenny!! That KTM would rip my kids a new one!

I totally agree about learning on a bike is good. I just worry about the terrain around here, mosty rocky trails and roots.

The boy is kinda of a sissy...he freaks when his sister gets to close to him on their bicycles.. :p and my daughter is just plain nuts. She'd be the one trying knack knacks and chit. 2 days after the training wheels came off...she was launching off of the front steps and only knows how to pedal like hell or slam on the brakes!

KXRida
01-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
my daughter is just plain nuts. She'd be the one trying knack knacks and chit. 2 days after the training wheels came off...she was launching off of the front steps and only knows how to pedal like hell or slam on the brakes!

Future fmxer? :eek2:

Hondamaster5505
01-01-2008, 08:30 PM
i say atv's.

For your girl, i would put the screw for the throttle restrictor in:macho lmao.

I started on an atc110 three wheeler, inly dumped it once and was very easy to learn on. Also had a semi auto so it would be easier to learn the clutch when i eventually got one.

01-01-2008, 10:14 PM
depnds where you want or think your kids will go in the sport. I chose ATV because to me they are much more fun for all ages. You dont have to keep the atv when going slow or when your stopped. It is tough to decide what to do. If your kids know or see anything on dirtbikes or atvs see which 1 they think is best or that they say that looks like fun.

meankfx
01-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Get the girl a bike and the boy a quad.

01-02-2008, 12:51 AM
get them a quad because you want them to have the challenge not because its easy. sure anybody can hop on a quad and put it in 1st gear and ride it around, but to be competitive takes so much more.

JJs450r
01-02-2008, 05:59 AM
i started on a little xr80r when i was 7 or 8 was fun and fast at the time till i rode a buddys 300ex haha then all changed

KXRida
01-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by z400rider08
get them a quad because you want them to have the challenge not because its easy. sure anybody can hop on a quad and put it in 1st gear and ride it around, but to be competitive takes so much more.

You'd be surprised how challenging it is to be competitive on a bike! In the first turn I'd much rather have 4 wheels lol.

You're mainly going to get votes for the atv's seeing how this is an atv based site, and it would be the opposite if you went to a bike based site. I'd say go for what you want, but from my personal experience I liked bikes more. I started out on a blaster and kinda found my self bored for lack of words after a while, but then again it was a blaster haha.

QuadJunkies
01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by meankfx
Get the girl a bike and the boy a quad.
Thats what I was going to say..
Also.... Have they said to you what they think would be fun for them to ride? Do they seem at all yet to have a personal favorite vs. the other?
I was going to lean more towards a bike, but maybe this might be the way to go. :)

jcv400ex
01-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Boy has said he wants a bike, but I think it's only because his buddy has one. He's the one I'm worried about. When I took off his training wheels and he couldn't ride his bike right...he balled and balled until he could ride it. He'd get pissed and throw the bike and everything. I think I'm gonna end up getting 2 fourwheelers. I think they'd have more fun on them, and then I wouldn't have to stop and get off my machine to pick them up off the ground and start the bike back up. They can pick their next machine I guess!

I might just buy a second hand bike for them to try too. I've seen them in the classifieds for around $300 sometimes. Give them a little variety.

QuadJunkies
01-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Boy has said he wants a bike, but I think it's only because his buddy has one. He's the one I'm worried about. When I took off his training wheels and he couldn't ride his bike right...he balled and balled until he could ride it. He'd get pissed and throw the bike and everything. I think I'm gonna end up getting 2 fourwheelers. I think they'd have more fun on them, and then I wouldn't have to stop and get off my machine to pick them up off the ground and start the bike back up. They can pick their next machine I guess!

I might just buy a second hand bike for them to try too. I've seen them in the classifieds for around $300 sometimes. Give them a little variety.

Im sure you already know, just be very careful what you buy for 300.00 ;)
Theres a TON of quads for sale right now, Im sure you will find just what yor looking for!

Hondamaster5505
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I found a fairly cheap ds90 on craigslist;)

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/524609373.html

there was also an rm80 for your daughter, lmao! Prob. too much for her. lol.

KXRida
01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I found a fairly cheap ds90 on craigslist;)

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/524609373.html

there was also an rm80 for your daughter, lmao! Prob. too much for her. lol.

ah yah I'd say an rm 80 would be a little much.

jcv400ex
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
she'd jump on a RM 80 too, that's the scary part!! She LOVED Mapleshade when I took her up there for the ATV pro quad race. I had to pry her off of Hetrick's mini's.

5 years old and she thinks Dunk is cute!! :eek: I'm gonna have my hands full with her. Won't let mom put her hair up, won't wear any "fairy shoes" as she puts it... boots or sneakers only. and I'm already telling her to turn down her music! :(

07250ex
01-02-2008, 02:31 PM
she'd jump on a RM 80 too, that's the scary part!! She LOVED Mapleshade when I took her up there for the ATV pro quad race. I had to pry her off of Hetrick's mini's.

5 years old and she thinks Dunk is cute!! :eek: I'm gonna have my hands full with her. Won't let mom put her hair up, won't wear any "fairy shoes" as she puts it... boots or sneakers only. and I'm already telling her to turn down her music! :(

your in for one hell of a ride in those teen years lol

mxdad
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
If your choices are "off brand" quad or used bike, go with the bike. Check out a KLX110 for the boy and maybe a CRF70 for the girl and they will get plenty off use out of them for years to come. Now if you can afford a decent quad then I would suggest quads for both but I would never recommend those off brand quads to anyone. Good luck and be SAFE!!!

Rip_Tear
01-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I was going to just say ask what they want and get them that, but the way things are going it might be best to buy 1 bike and one quad, or just 1 bike they both could ride and see how they really like it? Or take them somewhere they can try them out, a friends or something...

Although you said about you think an ATV will be safer/better, and your son wants a dirt bike, he might just not like an ATV because he wanted a dirt bike, like out of spite kind of deal? Just a thought.

But seriously I wouldn't just get them something if they wanted the other without them having tried both.

QuadR8cer12
01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
the only thing i dont like about putting little kids on dirt bikes is they tend to make a little mistake and pull back on the handlebars and throttle trying to hang on and run straight into the closest breakable exspensive object lol. its just as easy to do that with a thumb throttle but tends to happen more with the twist.

KXRida
01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by QuadR8cer12
the only thing i dont like about putting little kids on dirt bikes is they tend to make a little mistake and pull back on the handlebars and throttle trying to hang on and run straight into the closest breakable exspensive object lol. its just as easy to do that with a thumb throttle but tends to happen more with the twist.

gotta learn balance and throttle control somehow

jcv400ex
01-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Are the off brand quads that bad? I am going to try to get some deals on leftover Kaysea's, but there is a dealership that sells Kazuma's that I was going to go check out also.

mxdad
01-04-2008, 05:49 AM
I dont' consider Kasea and off brand but I do think they are now out of business so while parts are plentiful now they may not be in the future. Don't know much about Kazuma but my suggestion is to make sure you will be able to get parts for the machine you buy. This is probably the biggest problem the off brand mini's have. Also a lot of the off brand mini's are very narrow which is very unsafe especially on rocky trails, etc... I think the Kazuma 90 is stock 30" wide compared to the DRX 50 which is stock 41" or 44" wide for safety and stability. Just make sure you do your homework and are covered in the parts department. Good luck!!!

duke416ex
01-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Getting them 1 bike and 1 atv wouldn't be bad, then they could switch up at times. I wish I had started on a bike, it is a lot easier to go from a bike to a quad then the other way. Plus you learn a lot more balance and control on a bike. jmo

07250ex
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by mxdad
I dont' consider Kasea and off brand but I do think they are now out of business so while parts are plentiful now they may not be in the future. Don't know much about Kazuma but my suggestion is to make sure you will be able to get parts for the machine you buy. This is probably the biggest problem the off brand mini's have. Also a lot of the off brand mini's are very narrow which is very unsafe especially on rocky trails, etc... I think the Kazuma 90 is stock 30" wide compared to the DRX 50 which is stock 41" or 44" wide for safety and stability. Just make sure you do your homework and are covered in the parts department. Good luck!!!

theres now way a drx 50 is 44 " wide a 250 ex is barely 42 inches wide

01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
My first ride was a dirtbike when I was six or seven and I dont remember falling off that much. After the bike I wanted a quad though. I think it's better to learn on a bike because it teaches it you balence and better throttle control. A quad you can just get on and floor it.

x2, exactly what i was thinkin. I got my first dirtbike when i was 6, and it helped me with balance alot for when i moved up to a kx80, then i got into quads.

mxdad
01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
theres now way a drx 50 is 44 " wide a 250 ex is barely 42 inches wide

The 50's are 41" and the 70's & 90's are 44" wide STOCK.

I pasted this from koolkidzatv.com

NEW 2008 DRX 50
Stock 41" dual a-arms, longer front shocks, dual front disc
brakes, stainless brakelines, +4 rear axle and more.
Great little machine and it just got better!

2008 DRX 70
2008 DRX 90

Both the DRX 70 and 90's have 44" wide a-arms, all around
disc brakes, racing style airfilters, 21 or 24mm carbs and
an improved swingarm coming soon!

This is a stock 44" wide liquid cooled DRX90
http://koolkidzatv.com/sitebuilder/images/zach50-409x301.jpg

Hondamaster5505
01-04-2008, 07:42 PM
OMG!:eek2: lol.

anyways, did you consider something like a ktm of kx 65? Its like the 80 2-strokes but alot smaller and not insanely fast. They are pretty quick though, so im not too sure.

Or a ttr90.

For quads, i would look into those apex quads.

They are really wide with dual a-arms etc. They are 2-strokes that range from i THINK 50-125

KXRida
01-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
OMG!:eek2: lol.

anyways, did you consider something like a ktm of kx 65? Its like the 80 2-strokes but alot smaller and not insanely fast. They are pretty quick though, so im not too sure.

haha I don't think a ktm 65 is a great idea either for a first bike. haha that was the first bike I ever rode and I about ate sh*t on it. Those little things seriously MOVE!!!! lol

If your going to get a bike look for a 70ish cc 4 stroke

Hondamaster5505
01-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
haha I don't think a ktm 65 is a great idea either for a first bike. haha that was the first bike I ever rode and I about ate sh*t on it. Those little things seriously MOVE!!!! lol

If your going to get a bike look for a 70ish cc 4 stroke

yeah, like an xr70/75

kawiefan
01-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Getting them 1 bike and 1 atv wouldn't be bad, then they could switch up at times. I wish I had started on a bike, it is a lot easier to go from a bike to a quad then the other way. Plus you learn a lot more balance and control on a bike. jmo
that what i say too. when i was 5 i started on a little xr50 and a trx70 (old school)

ohsobad_chevy
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
oh.....LMAO!

I thought it said "want to buy kids"........I thought: Hmmmmm...I'll give er' a look n' see. Me soo stupid!! :p :blah:

jcv400ex
01-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I got a Kymco 90 today for $500. 1 down, 1 to go!

Ghost-Rider
01-05-2008, 01:02 PM
$500 ? Thats sounds cheap, what do they run usually ?

mxdad
01-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Just under 2k new. Not positive but I don't think they are that bad either.

Hondamaster5505
01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
retails at $2099

Heres the link to all the info about it from kymco's websitehttp://www.strmotorsports.com/showroom/atvs/mongoose90/index.html

jcv400ex
01-05-2008, 06:44 PM
It's 2 years old, looks and runs good though. Guy wanted to make room in his garage!