PDA

View Full Version : PEP - just better works?

havinnoj
01-01-2008, 04:39 PM
What's the truth behind the statement that PEP shocks are pretty much Works shocks? What are the differences?

trx400EXtreme
01-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Works uses a completely different kind of valving than most other A/M shocks..... i.e. PEP, Elka, Axis......etc which use shim valving. this in turn makes it harder for works shocks to be serviced by most shock servicer. at least this is what ive heard.

01-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Pep is way different and better than works shocks.

havinnoj
01-01-2008, 05:50 PM
They have an excellent reputation no doubt. I had heard the "similiar to works" statement a few times before. The other day when I talked to C&D Racing, they mentioned PEP is just a higher priced Works shock... :confused: :eek2: I should have asked them at that time, but we moved onto other things.

keller45
01-01-2008, 10:02 PM
wtf?!....someone clear this up and either shut the gossip down or save us all some money

Colby@C&DRacing
01-02-2008, 09:19 AM
PEP uses the same valving system in their front shocks that works uses. PEP uses works shock bodies and works shock springs and crossovers shafts etc. The new PEP front piggy back shocks may be different? I am not bashing just stating the facts on the compontants used to make there remote rezzie front shocks

BLU82
01-02-2008, 12:21 PM
This is'nt too realted but Does pep have a website? I can't find it if they do. :confused:

trx400EXtreme
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
sfracingonline.com is peps site.

01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
idc peps are still the best imo.

trx400EXtreme
01-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by coreymx58
idc peps are still the best imo. lets hope so lol. mine will be here monday or tuesday.:D :blah:

quadgod440ex
01-04-2008, 09:14 PM
ive run pep shocks in 2 seasons of gncc pro am , Awsome shocks i cant say anything bad about them.

havinnoj
01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by quadgod440ex
ive run pep shocks in 2 seasons of gncc pro am , Awsome shocks i cant say anything bad about them.

Did you ride any other shocks on your same setup? If so, how'd they compare?

NacsMXer
01-05-2008, 03:54 PM
It's true Works/PEP share the shock bodies and check ball-orifice valving types. I've run both Works and 2 pairs of PEP's and there's a night and day difference in how the two perform. I don't know what PEP's secret is but they are definitely on a whole different level than Works shocks.

Jersey450R
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I don't know what PEP's secret is but they are definitely on a whole different level than Works shocks.

i know...the oil! NO! maybe its the spring paint?! :p

JOEX
01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking it's because PEP's are setup for a specific rider where as Works are set up for wide range of riders.

There could be more to it than that and if there is i'm curious:)

ben300
01-06-2008, 08:10 PM
i believe that the pep's and the works are pretty much teh same thing. the main difference i believe is that the pep's use alot more beefier, stronger materials and settings. they are set up to last longer and handl alot more abusive punishment than wut a works shock can handle.

i was always a big fan of the elkas adn thought they were the stuff until a good friend of mine bought a complete pep lt, large body, 8 click, quade rate set up for his front end, adn teh same thing only dual rate rear for his 05 450r mx set up. those shocks are abbsolutely bullit proof. i have yet to see them bottom out and he even did a 10' cliff style drop from one parking lot to another..

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by ben300
i believe that the pep's and the works are pretty much teh same thing. the main difference i believe is that the pep's use alot more beefier, stronger materials and settings. they are set up to last longer and handl alot more abusive punishment than wut a works shock can handle.

i was always a big fan of the elkas adn thought they were the stuff until a good friend of mine bought a complete pep lt, large body, 8 click, quade rate set up for his front end, adn teh same thing only dual rate rear for his 05 450r mx set up. those shocks are abbsolutely bullit proof. i have yet to see them bottom out and he even did a 10' cliff style drop from one parking lot to another..

If they dont bottom out once in a while, then they're set up incorrectly...:confused:

ben300
01-07-2008, 06:48 AM
no...i doubt that there set up incorrectly...he had them personally set up by mark baldwin...but i get wut you mean..

400exrider707
01-07-2008, 08:05 AM
no...i doubt that there set up incorrectly...he had them personally set up by mark baldwin...but i get wut you mean..

It doesn't matter who set them up. The end user is the one responsible for final adjustments, unless you dropped the whole quad off and had him set it up. If they dont bottom once in a while, you are NOT using them to their full capabilities, and its not from not riding hard enough so dont take it that way, its because the shocks are not setup to their full potential.

KingpinsEx
01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Very true, if your shocks never bottom out then im sure you could be riding a softer setting, thus smoother... What i have heard is that PEP takes works shocks and performs a special valving to them that makes them ride much better, thus more expensive. I believe they use the bodies, but many other features are PEP's own such as the huge rezzies...

Chino886
01-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
sfracingonline.com is peps site.

That is not PEP's site, they are a dealer!

F-16Guy
01-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I think a lot of Elka owners here will agree that proper setup is far more important than the brand of shock. You can make a Works shock work very well, too, if you spend some time on it.

ben300
01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
Very true, if your shocks never bottom out then im sure you could be riding a softer setting, thus smoother... What i have heard is that PEP takes works shocks and performs a special valving to them that makes them ride much better, thus more expensive. I believe they use the bodies, but many other features are PEP's own such as the huge rezzies...

ya they use the same bodies, but the internal guts and teh reszzies and wut not are different...

trx400EXtreme
01-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
That is not PEP's site, they are a dealer! well thats there main product. PEP doesn't have a site other than that.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-11-2008, 09:13 AM
ya they use the same bodies, but the internal guts and teh reszzies and wut not are different...

The rezzies are different but the guts in the remote rezzie shocks are the same thing works uses.

Chino886
01-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
well thats there main product. PEP doesn't have a site other than that.

Where do you get your info from?

Baldwin Motorsports has been doing PEPs years before SF Racing was a player in the game!

01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
The rezzies are different but the guts in the remote rezzie shocks are the same thing works uses.

If the guts are the same why wouldnt Works be up there on the top of the line shock?

mx1791
01-11-2008, 02:24 PM
valving..

trx400EXtreme
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Where do you get your info from?

Baldwin Motorsports has been doing PEPs years before SF Racing was a player in the game! my bad. im just goin off what some people have told me on here.

01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
valving..

So... could you take a cheaper pair of Works and send them off to PEP to get revalved would they be as good as PEP?

duke416ex
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I would say they could greatly help them out if they would. There are other things I am sure make a big difference, like the amount and type of fluid used in the shocks and also the compression adjusters that PEP uses. I am sure Colby will chime in more on this.

Jersey450R
01-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
So... could you take a cheaper pair of Works and send them off to PEP to get revalved would they be as good as PEP?

yes

KingpinsEx
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
You don't get the high end adjustment setting with works that you get on PEP and that makes all the difference... That majority of shocks out there are of similar design its all in the setup/adjustments/valving that make the biggest differences. Bottom line PEP does an amazing job of doing that and works does a cookie cutter setup.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
The works don't perform as well as the PEP because as stated they use more of a generic setup. PEP take more time to dial in the valving and spring rates for you and your setup. As for sending works shocks to PEP and getting the same performance I work say yes that can be done

Fenix169motox
01-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

going off what he said, cant you then just take stock 450r (or any rebuildable) Shocks and have them set up for you, and they'd work just as good as a/m stuff?????????????

Colby@C&DRacing
01-16-2008, 08:22 AM
There are some limits to stock conversion due to body and shaft lengths. Also some of the OEM adjusters have less range than some of the aftermarket shocks. This being said the factory shocks can be made into a competative shock with the right mods.