PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Contamination/White Smoke

Desert_Dude
01-01-2008, 02:31 PM
First off, Hi ALL!

This is a KILLER site!

Second, I have a 2003 400ex that I bought used. It has K&N filter, full white Bros. exhaust/header, CDI box and jet kit that were all installed by the previous owner.

It has always had a bit of a hard time starting and makes a pretty nasty slapping noise in the engine if it doesn't start on 1st fire. It also idles rough and likes to stall.

Once its going, the thing is a RAPED APE.

Just the other day I changed my oil and some BAD things were happening.

1. The oil smells like gas... BAD.

2. Draining the oil from the crank case, only about 3/4 Qt. came out. I took out the filter and a ton of gross oil came out. I figured it was low on oil and that was part of my problem so started filling up the resevoir.

3. It only took about 1 Qt. more oil then started overflowing out the res. I checked the oil level on the dipstick and it was that NASTY contaminated crap and not the fresh stuff I just put in. I re-pulled the crankcase plug and hardly anything was coming out... just a drip or two of crappy oil. I figured that the oil was not circulating down so I turned the engine over 4-5 times to see if that would help circulate it.... it did, a drop or two of good stuff came out of the crankcase.

4. I pulled the drain plug on the res. and all good oil came out untill about 1/3 Qt. of crap followed.

I finally got it to choke down about 1.5 Qts of fresh oil and wanted to start it up and get the oil circulating around and toss the other .5 in. Thats when it started blowing white smoke like crazy. I turned it off and checked the oil which was low and the oil looked all milky... kinda like air bubbles?

Now Im thinking that the rings are out on my bike and possibly the valves as well.

Before I tear it apart, does anyone have any input for me?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long ***** post.

drew416ex
01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Any time you change oil you have to drain the tank and the crank case. Dont use automotive oil because it will foam. Atv or motorcycle oils have anti foaming additives. You may want a fresh rebuild, just so you know everything is good. I personally havnt ever had it blow white smoke but if the oil is milky its usually water.

Desert_Dude
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Any time you change oil you have to drain the tank and the crank case. Dont use automotive oil because it will foam. Atv or motorcycle oils have anti foaming additives. You may want a fresh rebuild, just so you know everything is good. I personally havnt ever had it blow white smoke but if the oil is milky its usually water.

By the time it was said and done, I drained them both...

How would water find it way into the oil??

Oh, and I used Honda oil.

drew416ex
01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Is that the first time its been changed since you bought it from the other guy. Maybe he ran it through some deep water.

Desert_Dude
01-01-2008, 05:22 PM
No, I've changed the oil several times and it was never this weird.

I think Im going to go ahead and upgrade it to a 416 maybe even 440...

:devil:

drew416ex
01-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I would go with a 416 so you have something to work with when that wears out. Also, if built right a 416 will run with a 440 just fine.

Desert_Dude
01-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking 416 with a nice new cam and a bigger carb...

Do you know a good place to buy the parts online?

drew416ex
01-01-2008, 06:25 PM
C&D racing, Rockymountainatvmc.com, denniskirk.com