PDA

View Full Version : Which do you guys prefer: thumb or twist throttle on your atv?

willb
01-01-2008, 10:01 AM
This 08' Outlaw is my first shifter atv. I have been a long time rider of dirtbikes and streetbikes and I am quite used to every variation.

I even own a 1970 Norton that shifts on the right.
I just feel unnatural and out of sync a bit using my thumb.

My bud wants me to stick to the thumb based on the dynamics of quad racing and controls but I dont know.:confused:

I am getting ready to install my new alba antivib mount and pro taper bars and handguards. Want to make a decision on the throttle as I go in to rejet>>>

Thanks,
Will

OutlawBill
01-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I like twist I use to ride dirt bikes and when I started to ride quad's I did not like the thumb. + using a mouse all week long at work I need to give my thumb a rest on the weekend. I did use the Terry Cable Dual Gasser combo thumb and twist but it took up too much space on the handlebar.

Ogener
01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I like the thumb throttle on ATVs, for the way I move on an ATV twist throttles are difficult and sometimes hazardous.

Evasiveone
01-01-2008, 03:21 PM
The problem with twist on quads is on right hand turns. Since you are in more of a sitting position, compared to more of a standing position on a bike, on a right hand turn where the bars are coming into the body it is hard to control the amount of twist on your wrist, especially if it is rough, where a thumb throttle will not be affected by the arm relation to the body on a right hand turn.

OutlawBill
01-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Evasiveone
The problem with twist on quads is on right hand turns. Since you are in more of a sitting position, compared to more of a standing position on a bike, on a right hand turn where the bars are coming into the body it is hard to control the amount of twist on your wrist, especially if it is rough, where a thumb throttle will not be affected by the arm relation to the body on a right hand turn.

just ride NASCAR style tracks :D

OzLinc
01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Evasiveone

It's 6 of one, half a dozen the other..........personal preference.

You say you get better controll from a thumb when i gets rough.......OK, I dont really dis-agree.

I say; if you want to hold on tight when it gets rough you need your thumb wrapped around the bars.........

Linc

cmpearce
01-02-2008, 08:40 PM
i feel i can hold on better with a twist in the rough stuff,but i also ride dirt bikes.for me twist on a sport or race quad and thumb on a utility.my cousin ( very good rider)has a honda 450r and just put a twist on it .he didn't try to get used to it and went out riding as fast as ever and wrecked. he put the thumb back on.if you do put a twist on ride slow for a little bit to get used to it .....ride on

LEOGM5150
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
i rode a built predator for 3 years and tried to get used to the thumb throttle and just never liked it, coming from dirtbikes and street bikes. i switched to the twist throttle and liked it alot better. i will admit it is not the same as a motorcycle. on a motorcylce under almost any speed you will lean alot more then you turn the bars. a few times when i first rode agressively at first with it i had wrecks directly related to my inexperience with the twist throttle on an atv, i am no rookie to a twist throttle i have rode dirt and street bikes for 20 years. yet i still like the twist throttle better. so i say go for it but just take some time to get used to it and be careful.