PDA

View Full Version : Rad-Loc axle nut question

hornetgod13
01-01-2008, 01:15 AM
I have a Rad-Loc anti-fade axle nut being shipped to me and it should arrive soon. I have a question about the installation. In the schematic below, do I remove or keep the nut (item #9) installed?

gcart2
01-01-2008, 06:03 AM
takre it off. it was made to keep the old bolt in place, happy new years

GPracer2500
01-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I kept it just for some added retention.

Mine wasn't an anit-fade though. Not sure if that matters.

hornetgod13
01-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I thought that nut might be needed to hold the brake disk flange (#3) in place. Does the Rad-Loc nut come with installation instructions that state that nut #9 is to be removed?

GPracer2500
01-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Is yours like this?

http://www.radmfg.com/images/radimages/radloc_r.jpg

That one and most others have pinch bolts that are suppose to keep the nut from loosening. The OEM nut needs the #9 nut to tighten against so it doesn't loosen. I've heard many say their RAD axle nut never comes loose with just using the pinch bolts. It's designed to only need the pinch bolts. But mine has loosened so I use the pinch bolts and the #9 nut to keep it secure.

Either way, as long as the axle nut does not come loose, everything is secure--including the disk flange. Use the #9 nut or don't. It's only purpose is as a lock nut to keep the axle nut tight.

I think mine (same as the one pictured) did come with instructions. Don't remember what they said though.

hornetgod13
01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Is yours like this?

Yes, I ordered the black colored one. I think I'm going to keep the #9 nut on for added security and piece of mind. Thanks for the help. :macho

NacsMXer
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I didn't reuse #9, the stock axle jam nut, but I really don't see how it can hurt to reuse it either. You will have to reuse #4, the stock threaded sleeve in conjunction with the Rad Loc though. Good choice on the axle nut btw, I am very happy with mine ;)